Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Movies and people who wear glasses

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by JimmyHart, Dec 20, 2009.

1. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Right, I might go to see Avatar next week in my local Vue in 3D, and my dad wants to come with me. However, I've had a thought, he wears glasses, so how will he be able to wear the 3D glasses? Does he have to put them over his normal glasses?

Bit of a daft question I know, but it would be a bit awkward wearing 2 pairs of glasses, so not sure if it's either do this or tough, he cant see it.
  2. MrFurious

MrFurious Active Member

Ratings:
    +796
    i wear glasses now and then for reading and using pc etc, but i didnt use them at the avatar showing, no way the 3d specs i was using would fit over the oakley glasses i wear. If my eyesight was really bad and i needed to wear glasses all the time i wouldnt of been able to watch in 3d
  3. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Thanks Furious. He's long sighted and wears them to read, watch tv, etc same as yourself. I guess it depends if he's ok to not wear them in the cinema. It should be a big screen, so we should be quite far away from the screen.

If anyone has any other advice, it's appreciated.
  4. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    they are designed to go over normal glasses though I've not tried it myself yet, I'm going tomorrow, I'll post how I get on when I get back, not expecting it to be too much of a problem though I doubt it's going to look very attractive.
  5. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Thanks Nog, I'll keep an eye out for your reply.
  6. martwho

martwho Member

Ratings:
    +49
    My good wife wore the 3d specs over her own glasses watching Avatar with no issues at all, granted her specs are quite small. I'm sure most people will be o.k.
  7. b_yead

b_yead Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there
    I wear glasses and I've been to Cineworld Cinemas many times to see 3D films. They use (I think everywhere else too) Real-D 3D glasses which sit comfortably over my normal glasses.

I'm short-sighted btw.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. sleekyG

sleekyG Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Well I think it really depends on the person if he is comfortable to wear both or not. A friend of mine wears his glasses on while the 3d glasses is over the top.
  9. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    I wear glasses constantly and the 3D glasses in the cinema are bigger than most glasses so they fit right ontop of mine. They are designed quite big with this fact in mind.
  10. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Cool, thanks everyone. Sounds like he'll be fine.
  11. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    strange, I wear thick rimmed Oakley glasses and I can use 3D glasses over mine :confused:
  12. cas398

cas398 Active Member

Ratings:
    +188
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Had no issues at all, they sat easily over my glasses, caused no discomfort at all even though it's a long film and honestly I was blown away, one of the first times I've gone to see something this hyped up and had my expectations far exceeded. There were one or two bits during really fast action scenes where it didn't really work for me and was just a bit blurry, I don't know if that is a limitation of my eyes or the 3d tech though but as I say it was only a couple of times.
  14. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Cool, just cross my fingers it wont be the predictable bore fest it looks from the trailers! Although everyone I know who has seen it has said its good, not the cinema changing event it was made out to be, but still good.
  15. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Member

Ratings:
    +199
    Well I've never had any problem wearing 3D specs over my prescription glasses, which have these rather chunky frames:

POLICE 1 glasses - XDI818 101899

Avatar is great fun and the 3D is the best I've seen yet :smashin:
  16. MrFurious

MrFurious Active Member

Ratings:
    +796
    maybe the venue i saw it at uses different glasses as no way would these fit comfortably over specs.
  17. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Furious, what cinema did you go to?
  18. MrFurious

MrFurious Active Member

Ratings:
    +796
    my local independant cinema, its not a multiplex, only has 2 screens but they are lottery funded and get all the latest features and systems.
    the 3d system used was
    XpanD - Home
  19. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    they look very different to the ones I had, they have batterys and shutters by the looks of it. The ones I used just look like a big pair of joe 90 glasses and don't have batterys. It's seems the Odean, Vue etc use the realD 3d system with the glasses with no batterys.

anyone watched films with both and know which is best out of interest?
  20. MrFurious

MrFurious Active Member

Ratings:
    +796
    went again today lol, superb movie and enjoyed avatar again, this time i took pics of the specs so you can see the size of them, as you can see, pretty sleek and not much room for your prescriptions underneath!:smashin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. VeeCee

VeeCee Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I went to see Disney's Christmas Carol at the Odeon today, with number 1 daughter(memo to self - next time we plan on going to the cinema on Christmas Eve as a treat, BOOK IN ADVANCE).

I was amazed to see that 3D actually works. Really well. And although it mutes the colours somewhat, and the glasses don't go over normal specs very well (second memo to self - wear contacts next time), it looked natural.

Those glasses. Well, I wear a pretty lightweight pair of specs all the time, and occasionally will find sunglasses and the like that would fit over the top, but it's never a particularly comfortable compromise. One thing that really struck me with the glasses was the amount of reflections went WAY up, and I suspect that the amount of transmitted light was lower than it would have been with 3D specs alone. I was able to watch the film OK, but even thouh I'm not a huge fan of contacts (and wouldn't normally wear em for anything that involves sitting and staring at something for long periods of time), I'd not want to watch a 3D film in future where I had to balance two pairs of specs on the end of my nose.

Oh yeah, and Christmas Carol was an awful lot better than I expected it to be, and might even have become my favourite version but for a couple of occasional bits of silliness (the drain sequence and the icicles stick in my mind as being pointless and unnecessary). The Ghost of Christmas Present was probably the best rendition of the spirit I've ever seen in film.
  22. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I may have a unique perspective, as I used to wear glasses but have had laser vision correction (awesome by the way:smashin:).

I saw the 15 min Avatar preview earlier in the year at the Waterloo IMAX, and at the time I wore glasses so had to wear the big 3D goggles over them. Now since then I had the surgery and went to see Avatar at the IMAX, and for me, the 3D was flawless wheras before months ago at the preview I noticed alot of blurring I guess I would call it, and it wasnt as smooth.

No wether this is due to the fact I wasnt wearing glasses, or they 3D had been fine tuned since then I cant say, my friend and I were debating this, but for me there was a definite discernable difference not wearing glasses, for the better:)