Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Compatible MediaPlayer/HTPC for XBMC

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by KILLER NADS, Aug 17, 2012.

1. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah, the problem with the pulse box is its complaints towards over heating on there forums - that could be a big issue for me especially fan getting loud etc..

Plus atleast with the Assassin units i can customise it to my liking and even include a bluray drive in it which could prove useful for 3D movies.

I also came across this device: Egreat R300
    Egreat R300 3D Full HD 1080p HDMI 1.4 Blu-Ray ISO Media Player Realtek 1186 WIFI | eBay

It seems like the perfect companion, seems to handle everything - all types of media including 3d and hd audio. Any thoughts of this? It seems powerful enough to run anything and at an amazingly low price also!

Let me know what you think.
  2. Mr Eric

Mr Eric Member

Ratings:
    +204
    I still don't get it : you say you absolutely want xbmc, but keep looking at media players without it...

All the media player you're looking to are exactly the same based on realtek 1186 chipset. Here's an exhaustive list found on AVS for the same product :

Micca EP950 Full HD 1080 3D Media player
    Magic Box HD 1200
    HDPro-i6
    Zero Devices Z200
    eGreat R300
    MyGica V9
    Measy X5
    HiMedia 900B
    3D Android Media Player BT-3550B
    Kaiboer K660i
    IconBit XDS1003D
    Xtreamer Prodigy 3D
    Eaget M70
    GIEC HD300 3D hdd media player
    (and I think you can add a bunch of Mede8er models)

So the question would be : why do you think it will fit your needs vs xbmc ?
  3. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Eric,

Yeah XBMC is a must, need to have that installed.

Sorry i didnt realise that i cant install xbmc on these realtek devices! is there any reason why it cant support it? Will it just not install xbmc or it will but cant handle it and would be laggy etc...?
  4. Mr Eric

Mr Eric Member

Ratings:
    +204
    it won't install xbmc simply because it's not a PC, it's a media player...

Xbmc = PC and that's all (at least for now and certainly for a while), whatever form factor or OS your find out it will always be a PC behind.
  5. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Ah i see, thanks for clarifying that!
  6. johndoe1

johndoe1 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    the pulse looks ok.. I have had a gazillion media players and whilst they work out of the box there is usually some files that wont play (to a lesser degree nowadays) and the UI are just plain rubbish. If I could go back to xbmc (had it on xbox1) I would.

The pulse looks pretty good..
  7. jont

jont Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Came across the micca earlier this week at Pinewood Studios where the 3Ality company was using it to stream 3d files and clips as part of their workshop demonstrations at REDucation UK ...

Nice little box and displayed 1080 3D files without a problem
  8. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    if you ar elooking at the himedia ....remember it has isues with 24p....alternatively, the new mede8er MED1000X3D player is about £170 and offers usb 3.0 and a hot swappable hard drive facility and illuminated remote...a keyboard can also be added...heres the spec - oh and it had a 5 year warranty and superb forum and developer support...

www.Mede8er.eu :. The Greatest Show on Earth..

• Full 3D - HDMI 1.4 - Play 3D BD-ISO
    • Complete Aluminium Die Cast Casing -
    Fanless Design
    • Mede8er XBay - Easy Hard Drive Change -
    Up to 3TB
    • Active Backlit Remote with Self Learning Hot
    Button
    • Mede8er Developed Movie & Music Jukebox -
    Database Driven
    • Web Services, YouYube XL, Web Browser
    • Built in Mede8er Favourites Manager
    • Community Skins and Easy Backdrop
    Customization
    • HD Audio - 7.1 DTSMA & Dolby True HD
    • Fast USB3.0 & Gbit Network Port
    • Music JukeBox Local & Network Support
    • Built In View Manager (5 Custom views)
    • Compatible with Mac HFS+ USB Drives
    • Movie XML Med Data in Media Library
    • Video JukeBox XML Search Function
    • Hard Drive Spin Down Function
    • Alpha Search in Media Library
    • Internal Hard Drive Up to 3TB
    • Built in Favourites Manager
    • Internet Media Strams
    • Social Media
    • Watches Indicator
    • Built in Web Browser
    • Optional Wi-Fi USB / PCIe
    • Internet Radio (SHOUTcast)
    • Full Parental Control on Folders
    • SD Card slot / Sony Pro Duo Card Slot
    • Samba Server - NAS Storage
    • Photo slide show with background music
    • Subtitle: SRT, SSA, SUB, SMI format
    • Network - Ethernet 10/100/1000* Mbps port

Processor: RDT1186 - 750Mhz - 512MB SLC Flash - 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
    Video Fomats Supported: AVI/BDMV Light/BDISO Light/MKV/TS/TP/TRP/M2TS/MPG/MP4/MOV/DiVX/M4V/VOB/ISO/DAT/WMV/ASF/RM/RMVB/FLV resolution up to 720p/1080i/1080p
    3D Video: Full 3D/Side By Side/Top & Bottom/Frame Sequential/Frame Packing.
    Audio Codec Supported: MP3/MP2/OGG Vorbis/PCM/LPCM/AAC/RA/Dolby True HD - DTS MA Passthrough on HDMI/AC3 - DTS 5.1/Flac up to 24bit 192Khz/WAV/WMA Standard (DRM & Advanced Profile not Supported)
    Photo format Supported: JPEG/BMP/GIF/TIFF/PNG
    File System Supported: FAT32/NTFS/HFS+ (MAC)
    Video Output Resolution: NTSC/PAl/480P/576P/720P/1080i/1080p/1080p 24Hz input
    Output: HDMI 1.4/Component Video/Composite Video/ Stereo RCA/SD/SDHC/Sony Pro Duo Card Slot/SPDIF Optical/Co-Ax Digital/Slave Port USB 3.0/Host USB USB 2.0 x2/IR Jack
    Optional WiFi: MED10WFB or MED20PCIE (Wifi is optional unless otherwise stated on the packaging)
    Optional Hard Drive: Internal Hard Drive is optional unless otherwise stated on the packaging
    Contents: MED1000X3D/RC/2x AA Batteries/AC Adapter/ HDMI 1.4 Cable/AV Cable/USB3.0 Cable/HDD Securing Screws.
  9. supergeek

supergeek Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Also in the market for a similar box. Currently I have a NAS server (containing all my movies and tv shows),connected to a gigabit switch. I am running XBMC off my PC, which is great, but has a few problems

- Issue 1: Bluetooth remote connectivity is a bit iffy
    - Issue 2: 3d playback issues. The pc is connected to my hdmi 1.3 monitor, and my hdmi 1.4 3dtv. This causes issues

I would like to get a dedicated xbmc box, and connect it to the same gigabit switch to access my content. It should come with it's own remote, solving issue 1, and should play 3d ISO's (natively from xbmc) and will only be plugged in to my 3dtv via hdmi 1.4 (not my monitor) thus solving issue 2

Will report back if I find anything suitable, will also check out the options listed here. My particular model won't need hard drive space other than for the OS and xbmc artwork etc, since content is stored on a NAS

Currently have an Apple TV 3, but I fear the single A5 won't be sufficient. Also jailbreak seems far away, so currently it's useless

Thanks!
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Paul,

the mede8er might be a great box but its absolutely no good if i cant install xbmc on it! So that is not really a choice for me.

thanks
  11. Mongrello

Mongrello Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was carefully reading this post but at the end...

which to buy??? :((

i havent figured it out from it, it s weird that there s no hardware that suits such needs (3d and hd audio)
  12. planthead

planthead Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Why not wait for this------

ODROID-U2 XBMC 12.0 Demo - YouTube

£55.00 LOl,,

ODROID-U2 is a micro sized open development platform which is powered by Exynos4412 Prime. 1.7Ghz ARM Cortex-A9 Quad Cores show PC-like performance. Enjoy various PC peripherals on Android & Ubuntu Linux.

* 1.7GHz Quad core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore
    * 2GB Memory
    * 2 x High speed USB2.0 Host port
    * 10/100Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 LAN Jack

ODROID :: Hardkernel