1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 video format compatibility

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by JamieBee, Dec 6, 2008.

1. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have searched this forum but can not find a clear up to date answer (apologies if it is in there somewhere).

Can someone please tell me, since the last xbox live update, what formats the 360 will play ? I know it will play bog standard DVD, divx, xvid and wmv files from previous experience but how about these :

HD.ts, H.264, x264, AVCHD, SVCD, VCD, ratDVD, WMVHD ?

I assume it will play 720p, 1080i and 1080p fine but bluray and hd-dvd will not?

Are the only high def formats here HD.ts, WMVHD and the 720 and 1080 ones?

2. m1ket

m1ket Active Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  3. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks.

I tried :

video format on xbox 360
    xbox 360 compatible video format
    xbox 360 video compatibility
    xbox 360 video format and
    video format on xbox 360 with no joy.
  4. m1ket

m1ket Active Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Yeh the problem with google is that there are some times so many matches
  5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    You can run .x264 mkv files through GOTSent and it will produce a 360 compatible HD file.
  6. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,992
    Is the 5.1 kept intact?
  7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    It is indeed.
  8. terencejames

terencejames Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I thought it was only in stereo?
  9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    They updated it awhile back to include 5.1 support.
  10. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you Indiana.
    So is Gotsent a free download prog that simply converts these files to a 360 friendly one ? How long would each file roughly take to convert ? And then you just drag it onto a memory stick or put it on a DVD as data ?
  11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    It is free but I dont know anything else about it as I use my Media Centre or PS3 for HD viewing, so much easier as it involves little or no converting.
  12. TheFreeJaffa

TheFreeJaffa Member

Ratings:
    +96
    On my Pentium 4 machine (running at 3Ghz on Windows XP), it takes around 10 minutes tops to convert a 1.09 Gb MKU file to a Xbox 360 compatible MP4 file. I'm using GOTSent 0.24 Beta 4B (I couldn't get the latest version, GOTSent 0.24 Beta 5B, to work on my machine).

Once its done converting, you can dump the file on a DVD disk, USB drive and it will play on your 360. Or, you can stream the file from your PC to your 360 by using Windows Media Player 11 and an Ethernet cable (or Powerplugs).

Don't try to stream it via wireless since there's not enough bandwidth to stream High-Def content via wireless.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. terencejames

terencejames Member

Ratings:
    +3
    So I change the output in AC3filter to 5.1 and it will be OK on my 360?
  14. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Ok. I have an 8gb mkv file I need to convert to mp4 for use on my 360. I am using a prog called Prism Video Converter to do the converting but it looks like it will take a while so will leave it overnight.

1) Will my output file also be in region of 8gb or lot smaller as this will not fit on a 4gb dvd or my 4gb memory stick.
    2) How come my file is 8gb and yours was 1gb ? Mine is just a bog standard 2hr film. Have I done something wrong here ?

Will see what comes out the other end in the morning.......:hiya:
  15. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    1) I would have thought it would stay around the same file size but it may be bigger or smaller, depends on the settings you selected, in either case you cant store files over 4Gb on a USB drive due to the FAT32 file limit so you would have to stream it or burn it to a dual layered DVD

2) He probaley had a 720p TV show rip, they usually come in at around 1.09Gb for 45mins
  16. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    JamieBee this list here is basically what works (xbox is listed at bottom of page).

If you have a H.264/AC3 MKV video then try MKVBoxer instead of Gotsent.

It will strip the H.264 video (no re-encode so only takes a few minutes), re-encode the audio into AAC LC (2 channel only which is what Xbox only supports in MP4) then mux it back into an MP4 (same thing Gotsent does but its a bit more reliable and was made for the Xbox in mind). The file size will be slightly smaller than the original MKV so probably 7.8 or 7.9GB your looking at.

Encoding the video into another format will obviously take a good deal of time which is what that Prism software you mention sounds like its doing.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I looked in the h.264 section but ended up with a .x264 bluray file. I converted this using Prism and ended up with an mp4 file as expected. Tried it on the 360 and although it worked, the film was very pixelated and definitely not HD.

On a separate note, I did download Gotsent before I stumbled upon Prism but ended up with 13 different folders (FFmpeg, h264 info, MKVtoolnix,MP4box and ssa2srt being a few examples) with what looks like, different progs in each one. Had no idea which one to use which is why I moved onto Prism.

So is Gotsent better to use than Prism ? Which Gotsent prog should I use ?
  18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    I think Gotsent needs all those programs to work but uses them automatically, you dont need to do anything apart from the (I assume) Gotsent.exe
  19. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have just run the mkv file through gotsent, it converted the 8gb file into 3 smaller mkv files within a yellow folder along with a 2.6gb h264 file and then gotsent gave me an error message reading "AC3 filter not found".

I am confused ??? Where is the mp4 360 file I am expecting ??? :confused:
  20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    Sounds like it never finished and the files it created were temporary one's.

Are you using a specific guide or just having a stab in the dark?

By the way I have never used the program, I either use mkv2vob to play them on my PS3 or leave them as they are and run them on the BD/HD-DVD Media Centre that I built.
  21. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the quick reply again IJ.

Well it seems straightforward enough. You select the file to convert and tell it where to output it to - that's it. And you select what audio you want - I left it set to AC3.

So your prog - will it convert either h264 or x264 files to mp4 or is it specific for ps3 friendly files ?
  22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    Perhaps one of the programs was corrupted or maybe the original file is at fault, afraid I dont know another about how it works but sure someone else will come along with the answer.

As for mkv2vob, afraid it only works for the PS3.
  23. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I wouldn't use Gotsent its built with the PS3 in mind which is why it split up the MKV (the PS3 cannot read MP4 files greater than 4GB).

Download MKVBoxer from here. Extract everything in the rar file to a folder and run the MKVBoxer app.

The first item is the source file in this case your 8GB video so click browse and point MKVBoxer to it, default output location is the same as the source file.

All you have to do is click on convert and that's all there is to it (providing the source file is compatible with MKVBoxer). There are no settings at all to mess with in MKVBoxer.

If you want to use Gotsent make sure you select Xbox 360 under the "Target" section on the left hand side of the program as that will adjust it to be compatible with the Xbox, also untick "Split > 4GB" as well.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  24. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have tried mkvboxer, clicked to convert and now been greeted with this error message.........

"unhandled exception has occured in your application. if you click continue the application will ignore this error an attempt to continue. if you click quit the application will close immediately.

an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format".

I then have "continue" and "quit" boxes.

I think I am fighting a lost cause here !
  25. JamieBee

JamieBee Member

Ratings:
    +11
    P.S. The file I downloaded originally was an x264 file though NOT an h264 one. The file I have now is an mkv file which mkvboxer should convert to an mp4 yes ? Or does it only convert h264 files in a mkv container ?
  26. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Well it sounds like the source file is not compatible with MKVBoxer.

MKVBoxer only converts H.264 MKV videos with an AC3 5.1 or AAC LC audio track (in others words the HD rips of TV shows in MKV). If your MKV is H.264 but has some other audio format as its track, very likely because MKV is universal container and can hold any type of audio/video.

That leaves you two basic options;
    1) Re-encode the video/audio to be compatible with Xbox (accepts MKVs as input)
    2) Try running it through Gotsent again with Xbox 360 selected as "target" and "Split > 4GB" unticked

FYI H.264 is the name of the video specification, x264 is an open source implementation of that.
  27. Slyboy

Slyboy Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Personally I use the free program Handbrake to convert any video file to 360 compatible h264 MP4. Download it and just select your input file, then select a 360 file type output and hey presto. That easy.
  28. sim667

sim667 Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Thought handbrake could only encode vids from a dvd or a video_ts file......

Ive certainly never been able to get it to encode a different video type...... might be a mac thing tho
  29. Mattk84

Mattk84 Member

Ratings:
    +136
    i have just bought a vista pc so am interested in streaming from pc again but the 1st vid i dl'ed was avi/divx.

read your post and dl'ed handbrake but it wont begin the encoding process to a 360 format. a dos window opens very briefly and then disappears again with nof further movement. any ideas?
  30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,332
    The 360 reads most divx files now, at least its been along time since I ran across one it wouldnt read.