Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 Controller not working on Counterstrike: Global Offensive

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Sebastalona, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Sebastalona

Sebastalona Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,556
    Anyone know what I can do to get this working. All buttons appear to be working apart from the two analogue sticks.

Controller is enabled in settings.

The game is listed as having full controller support, so I don't think it's a case of having to assign controls.

I've had a look on the Steam forums, but not much luck. Someone mentioned entering 'exec controller.360.cfg' in the console but that does not work.

I would put a thread in Steam, but similar queries seem to be met with replies like 'dude, why are you using a controller', and 'keyboard and mouse players will own you'!

I know you guys are bigger than that.:D

Any help gratefully received.

P.S

Do Steam give refunds if the game does not run as advertised?
  2. bladedripper

bladedripper Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,356
    dude why are you using a controller,,:D
    Only joking..
    Try veri game cache also make sure the controller is switched on before starting the game.:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    Speak English boy!:confused::D
  4. bladedripper

bladedripper Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Right click your steam game/properties/local files/verify integritty of game cache.:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    Aaargh! So annoying. I think I know what the problem is, but don't know a way around it.

When selecting a bot match, you can use the mouse to select game type and map. At the bot difficulty setting, if I use the pad to confirm selection then the analogue sticks in game are working fine.

However, when trying to play an online match, you must use the mouse to select everything. When you get to the game the sticks don't work. The game is obviously overriding the controller for the K/M for some reason.

I'll try and launch from Big Picture mode with the K/M off........
  6. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    I give up! The navigating the game types/maps seems to be out too. Moving up and down on the stick/dpad moves the highlighter left and right, and when you hit A to select it doesn't do anything. You need to use the mouse to get to the pre-match screen.

It all works perfectly in a bot match though??

If anyone has this game and a 360 controller, I would appreciate any feedback i.e you are experiencing similar issues.
  7. samtman

samtman Active Member

Ratings:
    +361
    I haven't got this game but valve games usually have a developer console. If it does enable this in the options and open it (usually with the tilde key) and type exec 360controller most source games have this so I hope it helps.

edit: didnt read the op fully sorry. Found this though on steam forums

You need to do "exec controller.360.cfg" in the console and then set "joy_lowend 0.35". If that doesn't get it working, make sure "joystick 1" is set. We haven't officially shipped controller support for pc yet so there are a few quirky things about it, but this should get it working. Be warned, right now if you commit to using the controller, it'll lock out your keyboard. You have to go back to the menu to make changes. Once it's working, you can open up your config.cfg file and edit your bindings there.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    Thanks mate, I found that solution too (directly from Valve I think), but wasn't that relating to a different CS title?

Worth a try I suppose, but if CS:GO is advertised as having full controller support you shouldn't be expected to jump through all of these hoops to achieve it.
  9. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    It's because anyone using a controller with CS:GO will be absolutely and utterly destroyed.

Seriously there's no way you'd have a good game with a controller on this except against bots. You really need lightning fast reactions to even get more than 1 or 2 lucky kills.
  10. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,861
    Just stick to racers mate and campaign modes, I've almost resigned myself to the fact that multiplayer shooters on PC are a no go unless your willing to put the time into learn an antiquated control system :) that's not a flame at anyone just my opinion off course, been gaming on and off for over 30 years and its the way I've come to feel about kb/m unfortunately.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    You don't frequent the Steam forums by any chance? ;)

It does say full controller support though, so something isn't right.
  12. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    You can get a Logitech G13 (or similar) and then use the thumbstick on that for movement like a controller, and the mouse for shooting.

Logitech - G13 Advanced Gameboard

Did that myself recently, and it's the best of both worlds then.

You really won't ever do well in PC shooters without using a mouse... so best suck it up and practice it.

No one's come up with a more accurate and rapid control/aiming method than a mouse so far... so it's still top of the pile when it comes to shooters.
  13. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    No, but the people who would slaughter you mercilessly on CS:GO if you use a controller are all on there.

I'd say I'm not too bad at PC shooters and pretty rapid using a mouse for aiming. I get properly slaughtered on CS:GO (beta) as I'm simply not as fast as the good players.

You will not have fun with this game and a controller. Not being an arse about it, just saving you some pain!

EDIT

Example of some pain

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  14. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    I guess so mate. Pity, because I quite enjoyed the offline stuff on this.

I've still got the PS Move controller I could set up, but I guess I'm just a lazy arsed, comfort craving console gamer at heart.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. iainl7

iainl7 Member

Ratings:
    +234
    I've a feeling when I looked at the leaderboards (really just to see which of my friends had the game; my k/d ratio was barely 2) that Valve segregate mouse and joypad players to avoid that issue of the latter getting slaughtered. Maybe the problem is that you're ending up on mouse servers?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    I did notice that on the leaderboards too mate, but didn't see a way to specify 360 pad only servers (if that indeed is an option).

Would be great if if did do that though!
  17. iainl7

iainl7 Member

Ratings:
    +234
    I've still got a 360 wired pad connected to my PC and a copy of CSGO, so I'll give it a test tonight and see what happens. Although I'm going to die a lot if it works; I'm just completely cack-handed when it comes to FPS on joypad. I'm not exactly brilliant on m+k, but I think I got about 5 kills in my entire time attempting multiplayer Halo 3.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,556
    Great mate, thanks. Foster also tried with his pad last night and experienced the same issue, but would be good to get your feedback too.

Still no response as yet from Steam, sent them a ticket yesterday.
  19. bearman3784

bearman3784 Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,603
    Give it a try with Pinnacle controller software. Found it works much better than most of the native controller support in games anyway
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. HowitzerUK

HowitzerUK Member

Ratings:
    +28
    try using xpadder, it takes controller input and emulates a kb/m so you can use a controller on any game, whether it's officially supported or not
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. iainl7

iainl7 Member

Ratings:
    +234
    Sorry - just tried it. Just like you say, no response from the analogue sticks once you're in the match - all the other buttons work fine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1