360: better on a big lcd monitor or an hd lcd tv?

P

p3nii

I was talking to a friend and he told me that if you play games on an LCD monitor it will not be fast enough and you see a bit of chop on the screen (kinda hard to explain :S ). He has seen this on a Dell 24". I told this to my other friend and he told me that that was BS and as long as the monitor has a good refresh rate it would be fine.

Both friends are really knowledgable so I don't know what the deal is. I wouldn't want to spend more than about 1200 Australian which puts me on the 24" dell monitor or 26" TV kind of range. I've done some research online and have found that out of all the 26", the LG has the best contrast ratio, 5000:1, but is the most expensive although I'm sure this will be negotiable a bit. Anyway what do you guys think?

There's a lot more than just contrast ratio that you have to consider if you are going to use it for gaming.

One of another important thing, especailly for First Person Shooters, is reponse time. Anything that is 8ms or below should be OK for the job. But, if you want the real deal, get a small LCD TV, dual purposes: playing xbox/pc, and also for watching TV!

Another thing to consider is max resolution of a monitor/LCD, that will tell you how good it can look. On a 26", I would suggest to get a resolution of around 1280x1024 at least to get the best out off your PC and Xbox 360 as well.

p3nii, your friends explaination of a 'chop' is probably just screen tearing, which is caused by the console or PC game itself, not the TV. Its all to do with vertical frequency or vsync as its called. If your monitor is 60hz and your games console gets hammered with something that takes alot of power, the screen will tear as its not ready to update quickly enough.

Dead Rising is the worst game for screen tearing, even in empty areas it screen tears for some reason.

I would say get a HDTV LCD for console gaming because you can get a much bigger TV for alot less than the equivilent size of a PC Monitor. You can pick up an excellent 32" HDTV LCD for around £450 now, whereas a 32" TFT would cost more than a grand.

Dead Rising is the worst game for screen tearing, even in empty areas it screen tears for some reason.

Just to say i had no problems like that on my 37" hd-lcd dead rising looked and played fantastic with the x-box set at 1080i

QUOTE]

Just to say i had no problems like that on my 37" hd-lcd dead rising looked and played fantastic with the x-box set at 1080i

Yeah Dead Rising has v-sync problems on nearly every TV and monitor there is.

Yep it looks fantastic, but the screen tears alot.

Yeah Dead Rising has v-sync problems on nearly every TV and monitor there is.

Indeed it does, doesn't matter WHAT TV you have, even if you had a 120MHZ 1080p LED Backlit Sony Bravia, it would still tear because its tearing in the video buffer on the 360.

Ahhh!! Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I can only afford a 26" LCD TV :( Any advice one which one to pick up? Basically, which would be the best for gaming and DVD watching? I know the refresh rate is important, is the dot pitch important too when it comes to TVs? What else is?

My mates' have a Dell 24" TFT which they use for 360 LAN games with the other team on their Sharp 32" LCD TV and we all prefer the Dell for playing Gears of War and Crackdown. I was almost tempted to get a new monitor as a result but decided that an HDTV was a more practical option, as I've still got a 9800Pro in my PC which would probably struggle with the resolution on such a big TFT.

I found that a Samsung R74 was the best option at the time as it does very good job with 360 games and Battlefield 2 when hooked up to my PC, plus it ain't bad with DVDs and TV either. The new R8 series looks even better at everything so that'd be my recommendation but some more to be found here:

Which LCD TV Should I Buy for my Xbox 360
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542925

There's a lot more than just contrast ratio that you have to consider if you are going to use it for gaming.

One of another important thing, especailly for First Person Shooters, is reponse time. Anything that is 8ms or below should be OK for the job. But, if you want the real deal, get a small LCD TV, dual purposes: playing xbox/pc, and also for watching TV!

Another thing to consider is max resolution of a monitor/LCD, that will tell you how good it can look. On a 26", I would suggest to get a resolution of around 1280x1024 at least to get the best out off your PC and Xbox 360 as well.

Just been reading your comments and checked the specs on the two LCDs i have narrowed it down to and they are as follows:

LG 26LC55 800:1 Contrast and 3ms Response time

Samsung LE26R87BD 5000:1 Contrast and 8ms Response time

Bearing in mind it is for use with my 360 am i better trading the contrast ratio for a faster response time of the LG display.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom