Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30th June 2010

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,375
    Movies Podcast : 30th June 2010

In our new movies podcast format, we look forward to up-coming Blu-ray releases...

Time: 53:37 Size: 60.2 mb. Direct Link

Please reply to this thread with your feedback. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  2. slang701

slang701 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    It is mp3 file and I can't see the video.
  3. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    What!? You actually want to see these guys???!!! :confused::eek::eek::D
  4. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright Moderator & Reviewer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,251
    [​IMG]

"If thine eye offends thee.......pluck it out!" ;)

Great film btw.
  5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    If the Movie Podcast ever does go to sound and vision, I'll have to hunt down a pair of Zaphod Beeblebrox's 'anti-peril-specs'! :D
  6. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Entertaining pod cast as always guys.

However I cannot believe none of you liked THX 1138?!
    It's a great film what with its dystopia set future.

Considering that this was a low budget film it looks and sounds great.
    Especially the sound with its unusual rumbling, use of repetition, strange beeping noises etc
    It's deliberately depressing as the citizens are used as mere drones who spy on each other, made to work in highly dangerous environments with no regard for their safety.
    All of them being sedated by state supplied drugs and fed a constant stream of violent/sexual holographic films. This could be somewhere we are heading to one day, some may say it has already started...
    Anyway I bought the special edition DVD a while back and whilst Lucas fiddle with his original version by adding visual effects this was really to help with making the city/society a bit more convincing. It was done with quite alot of restraint unlike Star Wars. Thankfully it didn't ruin the film.

Onto Seven. Spoiler alert though I guess if you have listened to the Pod cast it makes no difference!
    I have to say I am with Mark on this one.
    The seven sins are not all strictly carried out by John Doe (Spacey).

Gluttony - The guy is made to eat until his stomach bursts/heart attack?
    Pride - The woman is given a choice of taking an overdose or scarring herself. She takes pills?
    Sloth - Technically this guy doesn't die so he fails on this one.
    Greed - Not sure on this, I think the business man is made to remove a pound of flesh from himself?
    Lust - The man is made to where the device which in turn kills the unfortunate victim.
    Envy - John Doe keeps saying he admires him, which I guess is meant to be a form of Envy? Always thought this sin was a bit weak and made to fit the films story.

Wrath - John Doe wants Pitt's charater to kill him so that the final sin can be carried out.

After Pitt duly obliges the seven sins have in some form been carried out.
    The delivered parcel clearly contains his wife's head, which is what John Doe planned all along whether there is a foetus in there, I don't think so.
    Reason: Pitt's character did not even know at that point that she was pregnant, his wife had not told anyone apart from Freeman's character.
    How would have John Doe pre-empted that when planning this whole series of murders, we know it had been going on at least a year with the Sloth sin. Even he would not have known as she was not showing that was pregnant
    She may have told Doe this in an attempt to persuade him to not kill her but this was never seen. Though Doe says to Morgan Freemans character "he didn't even know"
    All in all I think the fact that her head was in the box would have had the effect Doe was was looking for i.e Pitt to commit the sin of Wrath.

How did I do?! :laugh:
  7. zebredy

zebredy Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Can't more then one person have seen most the movies you review, as it kinda put me off when one of the first things said was 'well theres a bit of a problem Phill as none of us have actually seen it, good choice for first disc though', talking about Robin Hood you guys have not seen..

Doesn't matter what version you may have seen so long as some of you have watched it..

Anyway apart from that main problem I have with the podcasts (yeah I know its not always possible but...)it was fun to listen to as always...
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  8. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,375
    Thanks for the feedback. This was the news edition of the podcast, we do one news podcast and one review podcast a month. As such we are likely to mention films being released on disc that we might not have seen in the news edition but which are big release new titles that need to be mentioned in some way. In this case, we had a bit of a joke at the start. Sorry if this confused people.
  9. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    :laugh::rotfl::laugh::rotfl::laugh::rotfl:
  10. zebredy

zebredy Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thats ok..:) and thanks for the reply.
  11. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Good effort Droogie but unfortunately you are completely wrong ;)
  12. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,251
    Do you prefer Heinz or own brand beans Ger? :D
  13. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    :DThe bit about the beans wasn't included in the Poddie so now you just look like a looney Mark :p
  14. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,375
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rotfl:
  15. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,251
    It wasn't in the general release of the podcast, but the director's cut has all the extra material such as the bath of beans and an extended version of our duet of the song from The Karate Kid. ;)
  16. meehan

meehan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can't believe none of you like THX 1138 and even described it as "trash!" :(
  17. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I was personally very disappointed that our duet didn't make it in tbh ;)
  18. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    But it is trash?
  19. cas398

cas398 Active Member

Ratings:
    +188
    Love it guys, good laugh too.

Keep them coming.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Member

Ratings:
    +135
    That's the way I also took the film ending with Pitt commiting the final and 7th sin thus completing the work of John Doe
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  21. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,251
    Mark 2
    Ger 0

:devil:
  22. aloughlin

aloughlin Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Make that Marc 3!!

It's clearly intended as described above.

Andy
  23. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    This is absolute nonsense - does noone have a different opinion here or has Mark paid you all off. :p

I am highly suspicious of this "new member" aloughlin to be honest (it's prob Mark with a new account) and don't hold his opinion in high regard as he can't even spell Mark correctly so I make that 2-0 at the mo :devil:
  24. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Ok I am going to have to put an end to the argument. Some of the below is a bit graphic so please forgive me as it is bordering nauseous! :blush:

Reingam. I cannot remember if your point was that there was not a head in the box but it was either a foetus and a head or just a foetus, I assume you were not meaning a full size baby?
    If it was a foetus then I would imagine at that early pregnancy stage it would not be easily recognisable. I am no Doctor but I cannot imagine they would look in the box and think “that’s a 2-3 month baby/foetus? Oh and there’s a head in there as well”.
    John Doe says “She begged for her life and the life of the baby inside her.” This strongly suggests she told John Doe that she was pregnant.
    The point is that even if there was a foetus in the box then there has to be a head in there as well surely? The risk that they wouldn’t recognise what was in the box would be too great to John Doe as if he had to explain what it was it would ruin the effect somewhat.

Now that’s all tied up nicely, I was wondering if you thought about making the Movie Podcast link a bit more visible, its seems to be tucked away in the bottom corner?
    I would hate to think lots of Forms members are missing out on the podcast. (Even if heads in boxes seems to be a re-occurring theme) :D
  25. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    No no no you got it all wrong dude. It was Mark, who had absolutely idea what was going on, who thought that there was a foetus in the box (as he is a totally and utter sicko - my God even the Asians couldn't dream something like that up!!). There is just a head in the box....that is all :smashin:
  26. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,251
    I think you'll find it was me who said there was no baby in the box - i even said there would have been no need as if that were true a jiffy bag would've sufficed. The point is not what's in the box but who counts as the last two victims/sins - is it wifey/Doe (my reading) or wifey/baby (yours and Phil's misguided take) On that note it's still 3-0. :cool:

Oh and Shogun's Assassin is a great film as well. :smashin:
  27. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I rest my case :devil:
  28. aloughlin

aloughlin Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey, a bit harsh!! Regular podcast listener rather than poster but felt compelled to come to MarKs defence.

Still 3 - 0 :)
  29. reingam

reingam Member

Ratings:
    +63
    :D:D:D
  30. paulst10

paulst10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,151
    Sorry Mark but I always thought it was wife+baby, so 3-1 ;) Ger, I will email you my paypal details :D

Oh and I edited your quote accordingly ;);)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1