1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Network: Tesco vs 3 Tariff Prices ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Some Bloke, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Some Bloke

Some Bloke Active Member

Ratings:
    +375
    I've been looking at the Tesco site, which is offering a deal for a SIM card for use on the 3 network.
    "3 SIM 300 minutes, 3000 texts, 1GB internet browsing - 12 month"

Sim Cards | Free Sim Cards | Sim Only Tariffs - Tesco Phone Shop

But when you look at the 3 website, for the same package, the tariff rates are different.
    http://threestore.three.co.uk/plandetails.aspx?tariffid=2305

Tesco
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if the Tesco prices are correct and exclusive to them and also can you buy the package when visiting the store in person ?

Thank you.
  2. chukwe

chukwe Active Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Both look similar, but will 300 minutes a month be enough for you? If yes, then you need to consider network coverage in your area.

Also have a look at giffgaff, you wouldn't be tight to a 12 month contract
  3. Some Bloke

Some Bloke Active Member

Ratings:
    +375
    Thanks for the reply and advice.
    I'm not sure if the Tesco price is a misprint or not, I'd have to phone them to find out for sure.
    300 minutes is more than enough.
    I think 3 use Orange (which I'm currently using) for their 2G coverage and I live in a hilly area, so I receive a 2G signal. But away from the hills it's 3G, so it's not really a problem.

My main reason for wanting to switch to 3, was the data allowance.
    But most of the time I use the phone on a WiFi connection (the 2G speeds seem a waste of time).
    So I don't really know if it's worth switching or not. I can buy 500MB's for £5 each month if I had to.
  4. PeterH988

PeterH988 Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Does this plan allow tethering/personal hotspot?

I'd be looking to move to something like this if I could tether. (I don't need to, just want the facility available as backup).
  5. Some Bloke

Some Bloke Active Member

Ratings:
    +375
    No it doesn't.
    Sorry I cropped the image posted above, here's a link to the rates and at the bottom it says "Internet allowance is not for use a a modem".
    http://threestore.three.co.uk/plandetails.aspx?tariffid=2305
  6. aldo82

aldo82 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I'm on 3 pay as you go and there are no restrictions to tethering with the iphone (there might be in the T&C's I don't know but you can enable it on the iphone no problem). I've used it occasionally and it works well, just using the data I've already paid for - no additional tethering charge like the other networks. I assume personal hotspot will work just the same but I don't know for sure.

Be careful with 3's 2g backup on Orange. My understanding is that they are gradually switching this off. Also 3 want you to stay on their network as much as possible so you cannot manually switch off 3g in the settings and I find it will keep hold of the 3g signal to much lower signal strengths before switching to 2g than on any of the other networks. This is good for data but voice calls can suffer with the low signal strength. When the phone switches between 2g and 3g, calls will drop as well as it is not seamless. Having said all that, if you get good 3 3g coverage where you are (and they have the best coverage) they are superb for data which is what the iphone needs
  7. PeterH988

PeterH988 Member

Ratings:
    +151

This is the bit i'm after, I don't plan on using it, so don't want to pay for an additional tether plan, as I don't come anywhere near using up the allowance I already have. I just want to have the backup of being able to connect my MBP should I ever need to.
  8. aldo82

aldo82 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    This is exactly what I wanted out of it. I am not a tetherer in general, in fact my macbook very rarely leaves my house, but on the odd occasion it does, or if my home broadband goes down then the option to tether through my iphone is welcome. If someone else has pointed out that its not allowed in the T&C's then fair enough but all I will say is the option on the iphone isn't blocked. I've tethered my iphone on 3 with a data bolt on and only 49 p credit. Its used the data from my bolt on and hasn't charged me anymore. Exactly how it should be I say