3 Home Signal

Does your phone work at all outside of your home? - YES

Have you confirmed your sim details with the Level 2 support team? - ALL DETAILS BEEN DELETED & RE-ENTERED, BOX REBOOTED ETC.

Have the level 2 support team said they can see your box on the 3 network? - YES

Odd to note that you say the screen shows H or 3G as you should only be able to see them if you have signal - SORRY DIDN'T EXPLAIN THAT WELL, IF THE HOME SIGNAL BOX IS ON I HAVE THE 3G OR H FOR INTERNET BUT THE FIVE BARS FOR NETWORK(?) AREN'T THERE, SO NO SIGNAL FOR CALLS OR TEXT! IF I SWITCH THE BOX OFF I GET NO INTERNET BUT CALLS & TEXT.

Can you try something. enter *3001#12345#* into your phone

This should change the signal to a number in db - WHERE DO I ENTER THE NUMBER? NETWORK SIGNAL INFO (APP) SAYS SIGNAL STRENGTH IS -111DBM IF THAT HELPS (BOX OFF)

Report back

Odd to note that you say the screen shows H or 3G as you should only be able to see them if you have signal - SORRY DIDN'T EXPLAIN THAT WELL, IF THE HOME SIGNAL BOX IS ON I HAVE THE 3G OR H FOR INTERNET BUT THE FIVE BARS FOR NETWORK(?) AREN'T THERE, SO NO SIGNAL FOR CALLS OR TEXT! IF I SWITCH THE BOX OFF I GET NO INTERNET BUT CALLS & TEXT.

Got me then :confused::rolleyes:

Can you try something. enter *3001#12345#* into your phone

This should change the signal to a number in db - WHERE DO I ENTER THE NUMBER? NETWORK SIGNAL INFO (APP) SAYS SIGNAL STRENGTH IS -111DBM IF THAT HELPS (BOX OFF)

Report back

Thats into the phone screen, but as you have app thats fine. -111 is about the value you will on 3 drop, hence you wanting the box

I guess box on, you get zero?

Only one last idea and i am not even sure this is applicable to the IPhone. however the box will only provide 3G coverage not 2G. so make sure if there is not setting to tell the iphone to pick this first.

Sorry not a great help

Hmmm... no further on, and no call back from level 3 support at Three yet either :mad:
If it makes any difference it's not an Iphone it's a HTC One X :)

Network screen gives me -87dBm 13 asu
with GPRS as the type.

"does it show UMTS when box is on?"

Not sure what that is :blush: but I switched the box back on today just to see how it was going (in case they had fixed it and just not phoned me :mad:) but it seems to have reversed itself now - full Network signal for phone & texts and no Internet at all?
'Disconnected because service is unavailable' is what it says today again.... or at least it did until I reset my phone and now it's back to Internet & no network so no calls or texts :mad:
Must just have been ok because I was out and about, and it's not reset itself when I came in.
If I switch mobile data off on the phone then I get a full signal on the network (box on) I think I'll phone 3 again and try a louder voice?

Well that was a waste of time - "they can take seven days and they have only had 5!"

Last edited:
is there anyway u can just buy one of these direct from three without begging for one?

Must be sent on the back of a snail... nothing yet :(

And gabbyevs... start begging or shouting, or threaten to leave!

ive just got a payg sim i dont think they'll be that bothered to be honest

Well here's a quick update, for everyone kind enough to try and help previously.

I now have a new box - same problems :mad:
I am now the proud owner of an HTC One X+ so we can't blame the phone.
We should have another one to test too but the last two Sims 3 claim to have sent out next day delivery haven't arrived.
Oh, and they need up to 7 days to check out the second box's faults :mad:

I've asked PlusNet to send out a new router (which as the best ISP in the world) they have agreed to do.

I hate 3!!! :mad::mad::mad:

All,
May be of some interest.
I got the 3 Home signal at the beginning of the summer and I am not impressed with it. It looses signal as much as it has it. So for where we are that means no signal, and I have to go through a reset procedure - power off and power off iPhone...
I've not been impressed with Three's customer support and like many I spent time jumping through hopes to get one.
Interested to to hear people's perspective on the issue of routers being an underlying problem, and certain ports need to be opened! I'd not considered that - but working with VOIP that makes sense.
On the Vodafone Suresignal,I just got one for my wife for Xmas - and so far it just wrorks! [and a techie' present she is happy with - last year she got a leaf blower and wasn't impressed!]
Though I spent three months trying to get one - it's seems VF have changed to a new device and also the standard cost went up to £100 from £50 from the earlier version - can't see why, but the The Register tell me it can do Ethernet over Mains power!
Interesting forum and I'll keep you appraised of the new VF SS over time.
Regards
CPG

All,
I've not been impressed with Three's customer support and like many I spent time jumping through hopes to get one.
Regards
CPG

The longer this goes on the less impressed I become.

A sort of unrelated saga has involved switching another member of the family to 3 (why I now ask :eek: ) Sim ordered 16th Dec., nothing appeared day after promised delivery. Phoned again, guy said he tracked it (LIE - it eventually came standard Royal Mail - no tracking possible) but when it didn't I phoned again and they said it was lost and they'd send another. It too arrived late, but when they both came I didn't know which one to use - picked the wrong one so no signal while I waited for number to be ported from vodafone - it eventually switched yesterday - 28th!!! So no Christmas on new phone for son :mad:

I am so tired of phoning to chase three's problems. I just want our (now 4) phones to work :mad::mad:

All,
I got around to contacting 3 on Dec 31st and spending 1hr going through the motions - with two different helpdesk people.
To be told that my problem would be raised to their 2nd line.
Yesterday (5th of Jan) they called me back - ironically I was in the Cotswolds and couldn't get a 3 signal!
Anyway today I talked to them and my issue got raised to their third line support. And a new Homesignal box is on the way, but I need to keep the original sim... Must remember that. It should arrive on Tuesday.
So several months and a week in, and I may be near the end - or it's not the Homesignal and my iPhone is the problem!...
CPG

Level three probably won't call you back, they just feedback to the home signal department and they call you back.
I have no resolution. My box is now off. I use my wifi for internet and if I have an urgent text to send I either go outside or press up against an upstairs window :thumbsdown My problem is if I get an urgent incoming text - or rather I don't :mad:
I will remember all the calls and the lack of service when renewal time comes around though.

All,
Hopefully my last update...
New Homesignal arrived today (as promised) and after about 10mins it worked.
No resets, no phone reboots.
Touch wood.
So why did it take Three so long to address the problem?
They need diags built into the Homesignal, so they can do better remote diagnostics. It shouldn't take 3 months to resolve.
Good luck all - now to deal with BT and the line quality when it's windy!
CPG

While in Inverness yesterday I popped into the 3 shop and was chatting to staff (they were quiet) one of whom suggested I should have my phone switched to roaming allowed. They assured me it was free in the UK and would improve signal.
I've tried it, and as if by magic, the home signal box is working? Can anybody comment on this development - do you have roaming ticked as on if you are with three?

Just read on an android forum that the HTc have both a roam and a national roam only setting.

The roaming option for three users should only be to drop down to GSM when out of three coverage.

Have you got an R on the screen?

Don't see an option on my phone for more than a tick for roaming, however on the 3 website I had the option to select UK only for the roaming option - presumably it's only free in the UK?
No R on the screen though :confused: although I did get that during the very early calls to 3 about poor signal - they set something at their end that put me onto roaming on Orange network but it was just a 'G' and hopelessly slow so I asked them to switch it back.

Three use the orange network in the UK to enhance the coverage (fill in some gaps) this is only for voice and limited data (2G) this is shown on your screen as a G for GPRS.

Don't fret about roaming in the UK it's all free as its a pre defined setup for sharing.

With it off, you will have more drop out of service.

I would not say that you need roaming on for the box to work, will have to test it on my wife's phone when she comes home later.

D

:thumbsup:
is there anyway u can just buy one of these direct from three without begging for one?

Even if they were selling them at cost price or small profit I would buy one. The three network has the best deal for data but signal
In buildings is lacking . Apparently 4g frequency a can penetrate walls better though so maybe there holding out for that.

2g roaming on orange has now been cut off in most central london areas. Thick wall buildings in London an issue for Me. Especially in my office. Happy to spend the money for the signal box if they would provide it for me.

Last edited:
Problem is unless Three introduce VOLTE (voice over LTE) voice call signal will not improve. You will get better 4G signal penetration but soon as you answer a call the phone will drop to 3G for voice. This is currently what happens on the EE network and I believe the iPhone 5 does not support VOLTE.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom