1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Home Signal

Discussion in 'Networks, Contracts & PAYG' started by jerryq7777, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    About Home Signal. - Support - Three

Similar to vodafones suresignal.
    Anyone tried this any costs involved apart from your broadband ?
    I did call them but went round in circles on price.
  2. msmoby

msmoby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but it doesn't work in the same way as Vodafone's Sure Signal ! ;)

We are lucky enough to be testing it and it works FAR better than VF's femtocell device

1/ No need to turn on wireless ( eats battery life)

2/ Area covered by signal is MUCH better

3/ We live in a LOUSY wired / cabled internet location and (unlike V/fone) 3UK's device DOES work with the Satellite Internet service we use !

WE just PRAY that 3 UK won't change ANYTHING before the final release

This has proved FAR more reliable than Orange's Signal Boost - which DOES work on our Sat internet Service - IF we can EVER get the UMA ( Unlicensed Mobile Access ) to reliably connect.. Orange use firmware - no hardware - and some handsets are better than others..

We only have O2's forthcoming device to test - ( "Home Boost?" ) but despite all our effects we just can't get hold of one :(

If you live in an area with TERRIBLE Broad band and Cellular coverage - it looks like THREE have the best solution.

Don't know when / if they will officially launch - or any costs involved.. but having endured 4 months with no mobile coverage - on any network - this has made a HUGE difference.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    I never said it did i said it was similar ;)
  4. msmoby

msmoby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ..and it must certainly isn't 'similar'... ;)..apart from plugging both devices into a spare port on one's broadband router.

How they work is COMPLETELY different - AND the THREE device ( in trial mode ) works on more types of broadband
  5. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Right so this device won't improve my 3G signal like the voda suresignal !
    Most people don't give a stuff how it works only that it works.
  6. msmoby

msmoby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ER,... WRONG

As previously stated the coverage area is MUCH better.. and
    it won't eat your mobile's battery..

In short our 3G signal has gone from zero to max (all over the house) and 10m outside the property (front and 20m to the rear) ..The VF Sure Signal had dead spots and won't reach the front garden..and only 5m into the back garden.

The Android mobile phone battery on 3UK lasts 2.5 times longer - same model..

The Home Signal works on more Broadband platforms than the VF Sure signal...

Most people READ the responses of folks who try to be helpful.... 'senior' member seems to be a bit of a misnomer in your case.. Not only do they not work in a similar way, they don't compare in performance...
  7. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Ok clearly you have been abused by a vodafone suresignal in the past :eek:
    Your helpful approach doesnt work btw :facepalm:
  8. msmoby

msmoby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My experience of VF Sure Signals goes back somewhat longer than a week..and with many internet providers:boring:

Indeed.. I must remind myself to desist from feeding trolls .. You've just got a a LOT of info -gleaned over many late hours... My mistake:suicide:
  9. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I inquired about this today as my signal is sketchy. Long story short I have had my case escalated to the Network Support Team and will expect a call back from them tomorrow. Will obviously update you all on my progress. :D
  10. msmoby

msmoby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi IB,

I *THINK* that if you've been making noises about moving networks, have more than one contract, and THREE want to keep your biz you go to the top of the queue ;)

I hope you'll be lucky and get one, too... there'll be no more sketchy signals.

Do let us know, if you are lucky - as there's a few things - about which way to insert the smart card, and time taken for the registered numbers to go active - that the manual isn't clear about.

If you ARE going to get one, be sure to register any 3 UK number you have on the home signal website, and you be up and running within 30 minutes of firing it up.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. jonny.j

jonny.j Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have one from three arriving on tues after I spoke to canx dept, will let u know how well it works. It's free but I had to take out a new 24 month contract as I was on the 30 day one plan.
  12. jonny.j

jonny.j Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Works a treat. Have it connected to a 3g router in my loft which is where I get the best signal, so you don't need landline broadband if you have a separate 3g dongle plugged into a router with an ethernet port. Can get rid of my slow landline broadband now, using a home signal box was the only reason I was keeping it.
  13. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Had an interesting conversation with one of the technical staff today. They narrowed down the options of where my signal could be weak i.e. lots of trees around, lower ground level etc. They first offered to reduce my contract down and change my plan which I refused, they then offered to discount my contract by £5.50 per month for the rest of my contract which I accepted as I need to keep my monthly costs to minimum at the moment as I am in a bit of a tight spot. I'm sure they would've offered to give me a booster if I had refused that option but unfortunately circumstances have arisen that are beyond my control and I have to cut down my spending. Pleased with how understand the CS rep was though. Still a sound result.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  14. sw123

sw123 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have just called 3 as a result of reading this thread - we have zero signal at home - rural area- they told me that it was only available to business users and were not at all interested - is this correct. Was considering getting new phone on Orange with their Signal Boost but this seems like a free solution if I could get one. We are only on PAYG and seldom use the phone as with no reception at home, we have to go a couple of fields away to get reception and it the same with all other networks as far as we can tell from visitors on other networks. We have given up on mobiles since mving here and only use it for emergencies when out and about as there is no point giving out the number. Any advice on getting a better response from 3.

Also does it really work with any 3g phone. Moving to Orange would involve getting a new phone as only certain ones work with their Signal Boost.
  15. richcandy

richcandy Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

Kind of interested to see what happens with this. I have a Vodafone sure signal and it gives me a signal in most of the house. Doesn't seam to make any difference in a few rooms. O2 have a few bars of 2G and in general that ok.
    Orange/T-Mobile and 3 have no signal at all.

If 3 made this available to buy for £60 or something then I think I would give them a go.

Alex
  16. stevecauson

stevecauson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have no signal at all at home since moving house 9 months ago, extremely limited signal outside, thick Cotswold stone walls. I called them up to try and get a home signal to no avail. Apparently I wasn't eligible, even though I've been with three for years, spending about 45 a month with them and am now coming to the end of my contract and told them id move to O2. My wifes on o2 and has 3 bars in our house... They did seem a bit interested when I told them that my sis inlaw was on three and got no signal when she came to visit.
    If anyone knows the eligibility criteria, I'd be interested to know. The tech support guy said he wasn't allowed to tell me the criteria.
  17. walkerx

walkerx Member

Ratings:
    +7
    well CPW just sold me a contract on three and found out that signal is very flaky at home and that three say on their website that i may struggle to get a signal indoors.

I mentioned about the homesignal on their website and was told they wouldn't offer me it and to cancel the contract :(

I had phoned up within a few days of getting the contract and was told to wait until they rang back - they waited until my number had been ported from my old provider to then contact and say the above.

If they had said before my number was ported I could have stopped it and stayed with my other provider :(

I've now either got to put up with a flaky service at home for 2 years or return to CPW and get a new contract and possible phone as they bought my old phone off me
  18. RenaultSport

RenaultSport Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Keep plugging away at them. I have only had my contract a month and it took several phone calls and an email to their complaints department (followed by two more calls) and now they are finally sending one.
  19. walkerx

walkerx Member

Ratings:
    +7
    i can't put up with a month of no signal at home - i need the mobile signal at all times - three still wouldn't do anything after speaking to their complaints department so i've phoned virgin up and moving back to them - just waiting for three to now supply my pak-code
  20. ja5on

ja5on Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,176
    This sounds exactly like what I need. I'm moving to a rural house soon and the coverage there is dire, so this could be just the ticket. But if Three are being dicks about it, I might have to look at different network providers. Hmmmm
  21. walkerx

walkerx Member

Ratings:
    +7
    well - CPW cancelled my contract on friday with three but i'm still waiting for my pac-code
  22. RenaultSport

RenaultSport Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Its a bit hit and miss - Some people have had no problem getting one. Some people like me have had to fight to get one.
  23. Ademc

Ademc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the home signal, just got it yesterday, Ive just moved to a village a couple of weeks ago and am on three with the One Plan, it works well for me so im reluctant to get rid of it but the network coverage map shows only outdoor coverage for my area, that turned out to be exactly the case the only way I could get a signal on my iphone was to leave it by the window, I work for myself so need to have coverage inside the house, after a long conversation with an asian sounding lady, who was really very helpful, i was offered the home signal box, I was only offered it however when I said that I really didnt want to leave 3 but may have to, anyway nuff waffle, plugged it in yesterday it started the download of firmware or whatever it was doing and someone rang me on my phone after it being on for about 5 minutes, my phone was sitting in the kitchen where I dont normally get any signal and all of a sudden I have a full signal indoors, Happy dayz, it works a treat, thumbs up to three for a great product, I really didnt want to have to change networks as the all you can eat data is brilliant :smashin:

by the way, all this happened during a phonecall to 3 on wednesday of this week and the Home signal box was with me by friday, also she said the box costs £110 but I would get it free due to my situation but in searching around most people i have come across have been given the box for free, they seem to be very keen to keep people with them and not have them go elsewhere
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  24. ASH1

ASH1 Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Hi guys, after reading this thread 3 seem very hit and miss. My son has not long signed up with 3 and had no signal in his flat. After phoning 3 they said someone would call him back and as a result has arranged to sent him the home signal, it's should arrive on Tuesday. I don't understand why some of you have been told you can't have one if you have signal issues.

This brings me to my next point. I'm with Vodafone and have a sure signal, which I had trouble with a week or so back. Apparently Vodafone had done some maintenance the end of last month. I made 4 calls to customer services, and each time I was told someone would call me back but they never did. I ended up fixing the problem myself. As I'm out of contract I called them again and asked for my PAC code as I'm thinking of going to three. But after reading some of you posts it would seem that there customer service isn't much better.

As a result of asking for my PAC code, Vodafone are now falling over them selfs to try and keep me. What to do :confused:
  25. Jay Z

Jay Z Member

Ratings:
    +101
    What is your current price plan with Voda? Do you use all of your allowances? How much allowances do you need per month?
  26. ASH1

ASH1 Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jay Z, thanks for the reply. It's all been sorted now, I'm with voda for another year after they've sweetened the deal. :smashin:
  27. chipxtreme

chipxtreme Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just joined 3 on the 30th with a pre-order of the Samsung Galaxy S 3 and I only get a signal indoors if I go upstairs and even then its 1/2 bars at best and still get dropped calls and flaky internet.

I put a message on their facebook page about my poor signal and they suggested I speak to them on the phone about their Home Signal box so I rang them earlier and I am going to be getting a call back from their technical support team within 24 hours. I gave them my Vodafone number in case they can't get in touch with them as I get a good signal in my house with them.

ASH what deal did they give you? I got the £20.50 sim only deal for half price for 12 months so i'm paying £10.25 for 600 mins, 3000 texts, 500mb net, 750mb wifi which is a bargain IMHO.
  28. kopchoir

kopchoir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,867
    Just got off the phone with 3 signal boost box arriving tomorrow i have 2 contracts with them iphone 4 and a samsung galaxy s3 both on the 1 plan.
    Also getting a £5.50 a month reduction on both contracts for the remainder of the contracts.
    So im happy.
    Tell them your wife is pregnant mine is seemed to sway them that little bit more.
  29. ASH1

ASH1 Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Hi chipxtreme, I got the same deal. Except I managed to get 1GB of data instead of 500MB, 600 mins, 3000 texts, 750MB of WiFi, and 100 SMS for the same price as you. I was all set to go with 3, but thought this was a good deal for the money.
  30. kopchoir

kopchoir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,867
    anyone have any problems with this at the moment its constantly flashing green and hasnt enhanced my signal at all yet.
    Anyoen have any similar problems