Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2GB download limit: Can anyone please help me decipher what this means?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Paul Cooksley, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Hi all

I am currently with Orange on an unlimited download usage and "up to 8 meg speed" paying £19.99 per month. As per my threads below, Orange have transferred my line to LLU - their own equipment - and now, whilst I connect very quickly to the internet via my USB modem, I have dropped my speed which was ALWAYS 4.5 - 5 meg down to 2.2 meg. According to Orange this is now the fastest I will get, because their LLU equipment can only handle 2 meg.

So, after cutting my speed by half, I threatened to leave them and asked for my MAC code. Surprise, Surprise, I got put through to their Customer Care Team (based here in the UK - hooray! - I can understand someone at Orange now!!!!) and they have offered me the following deal - I really, really need some advice though, before I accept it:

Basically they have offered me same speed that I will now be getting (2.2 meg) with the first seven months completely free of charge - then £9.99 per month for the remaining 5 months left of the 12 month contract.

But - their is a 2gb download limit -and here's what I need help with please!

What roughly does 2gb download limit equate to?

Here's my usual internet usage:

* Roughly online for about 3-4 hours per day max.
    * Don't download any large email atttachements or anything - mainly just normal text based.
    *I sent about up to 20 piccys per month by email to my parents
    *I browse forums like this very regularly and also pages like facebook/BBC etc..
    *I also view quite a few music video clips on You Tube, but don't download much to my hard drive like this (is viewing 'streaming video' counted as part of your download limit?)

...and that's about it.

Do you think that a) this is a reasonable deal and b) 2gb limit would be enough for me based on my usage pattern above?

Any help really, really appreciated

Cheers

Paul
  2. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Watching videos etc on youtube does count to your download allowance because you are downloading while you are watching, if you watch a lot of videos on youtube then I would forget the package they are offering you, im with orange and get unlimited broadband and it cost £19:99 when I signed up.
  3. jezzer256

jezzer256 Member

Ratings:
    +182
    2gb is pretty small, so if you're on the internet a lot I'd say that'd be stretching it.

Why not download a bandwidth counter, and run it for a month. This will give you an idea of how much you've downloaded in one month! Try this one here.

Hope this helps

Jez
  4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks, I will try this!

Actually, I've done a bit of digging around on the net, and it would seem that roughly, viewing a 5 minute video on You Tube is around 12mb. So, can anyone kindly do the maths on this, and (I know it's very approximate) how long could I spend say on You Tube per day and be within the 2gb monthly limit?

I guess at present I spend about 1 hour per day watching bits and pieces from You tube. I guess that's roughly a total of 144mb per hour????
  5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +135
    ...actually, just as a further update, as it would seem, as you have all pointed out that 2 meg is a very small allowance, I rang Orange and asked for my MAC code once again so that I could leave..

but basically they talked me into staying with them, because although I will remain with the same speed now - 2.2 meg (which I have to confess, surfing web pages etc... I wouldn't know the difference in speed from 4 meg!) they have said they will give me 7 months free internet - and once the seven months is up, I will have 5 months left of a 12 month contract at my current price of £19.99. This is unlimited download, so no capped usage at all.

For all the hassle it might be changing over, and advising everyone of new email addresses etc, I decided to take the 7 months free ...

So, just thought I would pass this on to anyone in the same predicament as me - might be worth threatening to leave them - as you'll probably get a reasonably good deal perhaps.... it saves me £140 that I would have paid them in 7 months anyway!!!!
  6. jezzer256

jezzer256 Member

Ratings:
    +182
    That deal you've managed to get off Orange sounds good - I'd go for that!

Unlimited downloads is always nice, although most ISPs do have a Fair Usage Policy. But this isn't really applicable to the home user!

Jezzer
  7. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I have read that my orange "unlimited" broadband is a 50gb allowance, so not unlimited but good enough for most people.
  8. jezzer256

jezzer256 Member

Ratings:
    +182
    Yeah, that's basically what the 'Fair Usage Policy' is. It stops people setting up server farms and using terrabytes of bandwidth every month!

Jez
  9. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    They told me that the fair usage policy was that I can download as much as I like during the week in the day but if I download to much in the evenings and weekends when lots of people will be online they will contact me to say im downloading to much, they did not mention any download limit I read that online.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +135
    You know, mysteriously last night, after all the complaining I did to Orange (and got my 7 months free for cutting my speed by half!) last night my internet disconnected and when I reconnected, suddenly I was on a speed on 6.6 meg!!!! I verified this by some speed checks on internet websites and sure enough it is roughly right ...

I thought this must be a one off, so I disconnected and reconnected several times throughout yesterday evening and indeed today (Sat) and it is still 6.6 meg!!!!

I don't know how this can be the case, when Orange have told me that my line could definately not take any higher speed than 2 meg!!!! (although I am paying for unlimted "up to" 8 meg!)

So, with 7 months free and a mysteriously high speed (at the moment!) - I am now relatively happy!!!
  11. Damoxuk

Damoxuk Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Well if your line was just re-graded (change to a different speed/LLU) the speed would have been slow to start but there's a week or 2 before the line stabilises and connects at the correct speed. And yours is 6.6Mb :D

But unless you play a lot of online games, downloads you WON'T notice any real difference from 6gb - 2gb when just browsing websites etc.

I use the internet a lot in terms of browsing/gaming yet only use around 8-10gb of my 20gb allowance with Zen a month. Just wished they had a 10gb option but it's either 2 or 20 heh.
  12. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Oh really? Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that it took a while for the line to stablise - makes sense what you are saying, as the regrading over to LLU only happened about Tuesday last week, when it dropped to 2.2 meg.

It is still 6.6 meg now, so presumably, this is what it will now be! I just wish Orange could have explained that to me in the first place. Still, at least, through their incompetence, I have gained 7 months free Broadband, so I guess I shouldn't complain really....

..and yes - quite right, I must confess, I don't notice any real difference in viewing web pages (from 2 meg to 6 meg) - this particular site can be very slow at times and quite often (for me) seems to get "stuck" when trying to access the various forurms/threads)

The only difference I seem to have noticed (since going to LLU, apart from the speed of course!) is that if I don't use the internet for a while (i.e. stay connected but just leave it on and go and do something else!) then the connection sometimes seems to have dropped when I next go back to view a website, so I have to reconnect once again.... so, don't know if this is "normal" - but I can live with this!