Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 D Series Samsung Firmware issues and Poor PQ.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gaz2810i, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korum

Korum Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +497
    As far as I can make out those settings are Samsung's factory defaults from a service manual in case someone messes up the original settings. Each set should have slightly different settings which are within +/- 1 or 2 of those defaults.

My current levels are L 130 & H 68 so they have lowered the H settings somewhat on the D8000 in one of the Firmware updates along the way.

From Standby press Info - Menu - Mute - power in succession the TV will start in the service menu.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Korum

Korum Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Just altered the L's to 131 & the H's to 107 and it makes the PQ brighter with slightly deeper blacks and still no pops so it's a definite improvement. I'll have to set all the picture settings again now though.
  3. slc79

slc79 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    The improved blacks are just a perception. The higher the contrast ratio, the deeper the blacks will look. This is why LCDs can look all inky black until they actually view a dark image on screen :p
  4. Fouche

Fouche Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whitch FW do you have ? And kind of TV ?
  5. payasyoutext

payasyoutext Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Korum, Where in the service menu are the while balance settings? I originally set the ADC values but never came across the white balance settings before.
  6. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian Member

Ratings:
    +150
    I'm thinking about doing the HDMI calibration again for my new Panasonic Blu-ray player.

Does the calibration change the settings for the whole TV or just the selected HDMI input?
    Could you calibrate each HDMI input for a different source?

Has anyone else noticed that all your settings change when you go into 3D?
    The brightness and contrast shoots up and lots of other settings change too.

I've been changing the settings, whilst wearing my 3D glasses, to my own preference.
  7. KYOKUSHINKAI

KYOKUSHINKAI Member

Ratings:
    +20
  8. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Guys all this HDMI calibration and board flashing/updating and the likes that are being discussed, is this still relevant for older firmwares like 1015 and 1016 on the PS59D6900? or Only the more recent firmwares which screw up the PQ?
  9. gilesy

gilesy Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just tried to do the FBr fix and have the ruSamsungTVCommunicator synced with the TV ok, so I hit info then Factory on the emulator and it comes up with Not available on the TV, any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?:confused:
  10. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian Member

Ratings:
    +150
    When I was on 1016 I could see brightness fluctuations on bright scenes. Going to 1019 fixed this for me but lowered the brightness of the screen. The HDMI calibration fixed that problem for me.

If your happy with your picture then I'd leave it alone. ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Kimberson

Kimberson Member

Ratings:
    +165
    I have done the logic board update but how do you do this mate?
  12. Kimberson

Kimberson Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Yes your not pressing factory quick enough after pressing info
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Fouche

Fouche Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is your FW version ?
  14. Sami

Sami Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Hey guys,

Right, so it looks like I have the dreaded brightness pops on my 51" D6900, I really noticed it last night with the screen going from light to dark every so often whilst watching a few programmes. Reminds me a lot of an issue I had on my old Sammy LCD...

So, from what I can gather from reading this and the 51 D6900 owners thread - to get rid of these pops I need to upgrade to Firmware 1019 (I have no idea which firmware I am currently on - could someone please remind me of how to check this)

However, in upgrading that firmware I am likely to see a dip in screen brightness. In order to fix that, I need to do this logic board upgrade.

I looked at the AVS link with the instructions and it all looks a little daunting to me to be honest...

A quick question, does running this logic board update void my warranty? I have the 5 year warranty from John Lewis and my set is only just over a week old.

Secondly, is there anyone in the SE London area that has performed this update and that (in exchange for a few beers) fancies a trip over to Forest Hill to give me a hand running the update? :smashin:

Cheers

Sami
  15. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    First off, I think you have it the wrong way round. The logic board update will do nothing for the brightness dip, but will sort out the brightness pops without having to update your FW. So the best of both worlds! If you've already updated your FW to 1019, I beleive there are some service menu options you can play with to re-calibrate the brightness, but anything you do in the service menu is at your own risk as you can brick the set if you push the wrong buttons in there.

Secondly, mucking about with the logic board FW or service menu certainly can invalidate your warranty, however, unless you tell them or brick the set, they don't really have any way to know you did it. So if you want to go down this route, just keep it to yourself should any future issues arise with the set.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sami

Sami Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Ah! Thanks for clarifying Ian, much appreciated, it can all get a little confusing sometimes!

I haven't even checked what firmware version I am on, so no I haven't changed it - however, I am more than happy with the current brightness level so I think I will refrain from making a change to the firmware...

OK, so it is the Logic Board update that I need to run to get rid of these pops - seeing as I am in the US for the month of March, I think I might wait until I get back, just in case there is another firmware update that fixes all of the above...

Thanks
    Sami
  17. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    The brightness pops don't really bother me (dont think I've even noticed them) so I'm staying on the earlier firmware for now.
  18. Sami

Sami Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I noticed them once or twice last week without it really bothering me, but the frequency of it happening last night whilst watching the 4400 and Heroes really got on my nerves... I wasn't even looking for faults, I swore to myself that I wouldn't do that this time round.

(Last time I bought a TV I went through 5 sets until I settled on one that wasn't perfect (none are) but was the most satisfying to watch... (after running some fixes in the service menu)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  19. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Have you recently calibrated your set or changed mode? I have a suspicion that the severity of the problem is related to the calibration settings, which would make sense as it's related to screen brightness. I've left my set in out of the box settings as I'm still waiting for The Hut to deliver my copy of DVE, plus I favour a quieter more natural picture anyway.

I do wonder if I'll see the issue more strongly once I get round to doing a proper calibration.
  20. Fouche

Fouche Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To sum up, there are 2 cases :
    1/ D6900 + FW 1015 or 1016 + New Logic Board FW in order to void FBR.
    Or
    2/ D6900 + FW 1019 + Tweak in Servive mode in order to readjust brightness.

That's right ?
  21. Sami

Sami Member

Ratings:
    +79
    no not really, just been using movie mode, slightly lowered the contrast and turned off any extra processing...
  22. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Can I also add that their are two types of pops evident on these sets, and are independent of one another.

The latter F/W helped with one and the logic board upgrade helped with the other. Giving the right calibration the TV can now have a pop free existence but I must stress they are as till there.
  23. Kimberson

Kimberson Member

Ratings:
    +165
  24. markymiles

markymiles Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    Did you manage to do the adc/wb settings change in the service menu? It is mentioned a fair bit earlier in the thread how to do it.
  25. Kimberson

Kimberson Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Does the tv need to be in hdmi 1 to do the adc/wb change as I went into service menu but I couldn't find any settings starting with 133.
    Hdmi 1 on mine is in pc mode for my Xbox 360.
    It's ok I did it on hdmi 2 instead and it has now changed all hdmi settings apart from hdmi 1 which is labeled pc.
  26. serpico77

serpico77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +841
    I just received my ps59d6900 set yesterday, it is running 001015, should I upgrade to the latest firmware
  27. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    No, unless you are really bothered by the 'brightness pops'. It will address those, but also dim your set and general opinion is that it's a negative move.

I'm also on 1015, but holding fire till a new FW version is released.
  28. serpico77

serpico77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +841
    Thanks
    So it corrects one fault but causes another, will they ever get it right?

Is brightness pops when its like a train going through tunnels?
  29. markymiles

markymiles Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    I seem to remember that pc has it's own default adc/wb values. Might be worth inputting those for hdmi 1. Again I think Janos posted those values.
  30. Kimberson

Kimberson Member

Ratings:
    +165
    My default value was 134 and not 133 like most people!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.