Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19th July 2011

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,383
    Games Podcast : 19th July 2011

In this edition the team discuss the E3 console and games announcements.

Time: 0:54:53 Size: 56.01 mb. Direct Link

Please reply to this thread with your feedback. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  2. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Another entertaining show, thank you gents.

Good review of E3, Sony did appear to have the best conference. Lets hope Sony learnt from the PSP and make a decent hand held and based on the specs they've got the basics right.

Wii U should be another solid console from Ninetendo but it may be already outdated if it's only as powerful as the 360 and PS3 (as Nintendo suggested). Both MS and Sony consoles are fast becoming a bit long in the tooth. The Wii U's video screen controller is a so called "dumb" unit, there is no chance to take it anywhere outside of the house as it streams the game from the Wii U unit. Nothing else (as in a CPU or GPU) is inside the controller other than a screen.

I have to agree about D.N.F being as fun as "a needle in the eye" as suggested in the podcast. Terrible from start to finish and so outdated. I am old enough to have played and enjoyed the first Duke Nukem on a 486 PC (remember those?) but times have moved on.

I haven't played too much of LA Noire but I've enjoyed the game thus far. Pity about Team Bondi being such an awful place to work...

The Steam sales were crazy, I bought all 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games for just $10 AUD. There were a heap of wallet/CC burning bargins, such as the franchise sales, but I was able to contain myself as I'd played many games already on the 360. At the time I typed this, GRID was available for just under 3 quid!

Cheers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,545
    Any chance the podcast audio can be added to the RSS feed/uploaded to archive.org/added onto Itunes? Anything other than having to come and do a manual download each time?
  4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,383
    Should be on itunes, will double check.

*Edit. It is there and I have just downloaded it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Stephen Carter

Stephen Carter AVF Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +416
    Much to your pleasure no doubt :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback TJP75, glad you enjoyed listening to it.
  6. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,545
    weird i still cant find it?

EDIT: Ahhh got it, just in case anyone else is as stupid as i am instead of "avforums" search for "avpodcast" in tunes. Or better still click this link

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/av-podcast-games/id215097258

And if you need the podcasts rss link for google listen or another podcast app its

AV Podcast : Games
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Ben Ingber

Ben Ingber Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Ooh great, an RSS link. To be honest I'd not been able to find it till now either. Thanks.

And thanks also for the comments, TJP75. I've never played the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles, probably should have. Let us know what you make of them.
  8. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +416
    You going to give it a listen over Ben? Dont know whether to or not, might though just to listen to Mark's comical moment again though ;)
  9. Ben Ingber

Ben Ingber Member

Ratings:
    +244
    It's a clock!!
  10. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    :smashin: I have been searching dor RSS links for all the podcasts for ages!

Downloading MP3 files from the podcast link on the front page of AV Foruma always results in a podcast without proper ID3 tags and missing artwork. Now I can get the correct artwork and the tag data from the RSS feed, rather than via Google images and making my own ID3 tag summaries.

Cheers. Indeed I did, keep up the good work gentlemen.

I'm half way through the first game, Shadows of Chernobyl with the fantastic "2009 complete mod" installed. This mod fixes most of the games bugs and ups the graphics & sound to a very high standard. Gameplay wise, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a FPS with RPG elements and it's as hard as nails. Get shot a couple of times and it's game over, even on the easiest of difficulties and with full armour equiped. C.O.D it isn't :thumbsup:

I am loving the game, and think it's an open world version of Metro 2033 (100% finished the Xbox 360 version). Bleak and desolate landscapes, slightly dodgy AI and gun play all rendered by a beautiful game engine. This isn't a surprising parallel given that many of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R development team split off to form 4A games who made Metro 2033 (based on the book of the same name).

A most recent highlight was an espcape from a military base at night and in a heavy rainstorm with soldiers everywhere. Trying to get out while the lightning flashes gave away my position to the guard towers made for a tense but rewarding 30-ish minutes. 17 hours into the game (according to Steam) and still 2/3rds of the game to go.

I heartily recommend the game!

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  11. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +416
    If you enjoyed Metro on the 360 theres a new one coming out, cant remember when exactly but it should be a good game considering how the last game stood up to the test. Very underrated game that could have done so much better given more advertising and coverage etc.
  12. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    I LOVED Metro 2033 on the 360. I bought the PC version as I now own a decent PC with a GTX 580 graphics card. It looks sensational and it maxes the GPU, unlike most other games aside from Crysis. 4A Games know how to make a pretty graphics engine.

Metro: Last Light is due for release in 2012 and will no doubt require a PC with SLI or crossfired graphics cards to get the best graphical representation on screen. I hope it is a huge success for 4A Games as Metro 2033 was wrongly marked down for poor shooting mechanics (most critics failing to note the played used "dirty" ammo instead of the rare military grade ammo for most of the game) and hard stealth sections (which were easy if one took their time IMO).

Cheers.
  13. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +416
    Hopefully last light will correct some of the other problems with the first game too as it was a great game in places in terms of atmosphere etc etc.
  14. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Gents,

Any chance of a restrospective on 2 former UK developer studios?

Last year Activision shut down Bizarre Creations & this year Disney decided to close Black Rock Studios (a.k.a. Climax). Both studios created some of the most beloved racing games on the Xbox and the Xbox 360 and will be sadly missed. I am sure there are plently of former developers who are also deserving of a segment too.

@carter91 Let's hope every niggle from Metro 2033 is fixed. I see the author of the books is again assisting 4A Games with the game storyline.

Cheers.
  15. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +416
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    I watched the video a few days ago but thank you for posting the link. Although I love the sequence, it looks a bit like a QTE than actual gameplay. I cannot wait to find out for myself!

I meant a retrospective on the podcast, apologies for my vague question. Perhaps a segment whereby one of the hosts look back at a game or a defunct company whose games they enjoyed. It'd be a great way to introduce people to forgotten gems or highlight how ahead of time a game may have been.

Just a thought for you to consider, although it may not be the best idea ever mooted ;-)

Cheers.
  17. Stephen Carter

Ratings:
    +416
    Something that can be raised nonetheless mate as you say its an important topical subject today and nobody can deny the contribution that the PGR series made to gaming and how it was the first racer, alongwith Forza, to truly give gamers something different along with a solid racing experience. Forza 3 is still an excellent game as well as 4 too but i prefered 3, i think the series had lost its way a little by four and Forza had really found its feet and run away with the title by this time.

Keep your ears open in the next pdocast and ill see if its something that will be up for debate or not and like i say i dont see why not as its an issue that affects many if not all of us in some way.

EDIT: On the note of closures etc as well, the Red Faction series has been canned un/surprisingly depending on your take of the last few games. Another title that lost its way recently, shame as Guerilla was really good.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  18. TJP75

TJP75 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Thank you for giving the retrospective topic some thought. So many game studios are being closed nowadays and many games slip under the radar of the public.

Whilst I never intended to single out Bizarre Creations, I would be lying if I posted anything other than they are (or were?) my favourite racing game developer. All of their racing titles were way ahead of their day. For instance, F1 97 has many features missing from the Codemasters game (commentary by Murray Walker and Martin Brundle).

Sad news about Red Faction, it too highlights the fact closures are going to occur on a regular basis.