Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1902 semi - full renovation/ extension/ av project.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jimbobCUK, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Good evening all!

I've been a long time lurker on these pages, not posted much though - until now! I'm hoping that starting this thread will encourage me to get this project finished and keep the updates coming for you all.

So, a bit of background,I'm 31, live in Cheshire ,a first time buyer, not scared of a bit of DIY, like to think I'm a quick learner and have a pretty flexible job that affords me more spare time your average 9-5 office bod. And I'm about to take on the project below.

The house is structurally sound, it needs a lot of interior updating, rewire, boiler, plaster to every room, bathroom, kitchen, etc I'm also adding a contemporary extension which will house on open plan kitchen/ lounge/ diner and the majority of my av kit.
    AV kit consists of - kef 3005 se, yet to be decided amp, philips aurea3 40" LCD, sky hd, Philips Bly ray player and an apple tv.

Let's break up all the words with a few pics*
    :)

Exterior[​IMG]

Downstairs plan*
    [​IMG]

Upstairs plan*
    [​IMG]

Side
    [​IMG]

Here's a few interior shots to give you an idea of my starting point..
    *Bedroom 3*
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 2
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 1
    [​IMG]

Landing [​IMG]
    That is a "laylight" according to the surveyor, quite common in Edwardian houses apparently. There are two VERY small skylights in the roof above it so as to let light in to the otherwise dark stairwell. I love it, and will be keeping it, other half hates it:D
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Front lounge
    [​IMG]

Hall [​IMG]

Kitchen*
    [​IMG]

Dining room*
    [​IMG]

Hope you're all still with me here, apologies the pics aren't great, I need to find my dslr charger, these are from my iPhone. Anyway, now for the more exciting bit, what the plans are :-D

Proposed ground floor plans*
    [​IMG]

External view of extension*
    [​IMG]

Internal view*
    [​IMG]
    My brother is an associate director architect so I'm very lucky to have him on hand to help project manage this, not to mention come up with the design in the first place.

I hope the post hasn't bored anyone, feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have.
    I'd appreciate any info on controllable lighting systems, once I've finished stripping down to brick, the rewire will get done and I figured I mayaswell get that done at the same time, and cat6 cabling too.

One last thing, I'm hoping to be in by the end of May, so you won't have too long to wait until the finished product!

Thanks all*

Jim
  3. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    One other thing, the extension falls within permitted development, so no need for planning - thank god!
  4. paulw77

paulw77 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Wow.

Nice green carpets by the way. They look like turf. I think you should keep them.
  5. inzaman

inzaman Moderator

Ratings:
    +766
    An awesome extension build is just what we need to tie us over to the summer months - great stuff and looking forward to the progress :)
  6. Padi

Padi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This is very interesting. I looked at a similar aged semi a few months back, and thought it would convert into something special. Unfortunately the seller was completely unaware of what the house was actually worth in the state it was in! Will be watching with interest.
  7. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys, have five builders tendering for the work at the min, all systems go on everything else.
    Only had the keys four days and the majority of the rooms are stripped now, attacking the bathroom with a breaker over the weekend. Will update ASAP!
  8. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    This looks very interesting, hopefully many photo's along the way.
  9. j3ff

j3ff Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Jim,

you have the makings of a lovely house. I have a great affection for older houses having worked on many over the years.

It will be interesting to see how the modern extension you have planned will blend with the older house. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the ultra modern but I appreciate the design aspect and the engineering/construction needed to achieve a nice result. Fortunately we all have differing tastes; what a bland world it would be otherwise! :)

I hope the build goes smoothly without too many 'unexpected pleasures' arising.

regards

jeff
  10. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Well, managed to get a few bits done today. Now have a full week off work to really get my teeth stuck in.
    Found some incredible wall paper in the back bedroom :)
    [​IMG]
    stripped the whole hall stairs and landing, plaster is in surprisingly goof nick actually, also stripped out the master bedroom, which wasn't such a great story. Lots of damp on the chimney stack, most of the joists above are rotten and the lathes basically collapsed whilst removing the plaster from the walls. Not ideal, but certainly sortable.

[​IMG]

on the plus side, i found two fireplaces :-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started taking the bathroom back to brick, never done this before and REALLY underestimated both the amount of mess this makes and the weight of it. Will be finishing this off tmrw and will post another update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers all

Jim
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Andyjc

Andyjc Member

Ratings:
    +27
    fantastic. love the rip out stage - everything happens so quickly it seems to give you real motivation for what's about to come!

best of luck with it all
  12. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks mate, full day there again today. Rip out should be finished by Sunday. Will be ready for wiring, then plastering after that! Post more pics Sunday evening.
  13. Craigutd

Craigutd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Best of luck. Going to bookmark this one, the images of what it could look like are beautiful... enjoy. :)
  14. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks mate, I'm hoping so. Just left there now, got loads done. More pics tmrw as promised :)
  15. blueboy1971

blueboy1971 Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Subscribing to this thread. I do love a full on gut and rebuild and the extension looks lush.
  16. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Well, its Sunday - and as promised here is the next update.
    Been a productive weekend, got 90% of the stripping / rip out down now, all of the plaster is in skimmable ( if thats a word?) condition apart from two walls that I've taken back to the frame.

Now you see them
    [​IMG]
    Now you don't!
    [​IMG]

Ive had the plasterer and the roofer round to quote for their work, the roof is a bit worse than first thought. The flashings on both stacks are gone, the lead in the valley gutter needs replacing as do the majority of the ridge tiles, but hey thats what contingencies are for right ?
    This leak greeted me this morning :-(
    [​IMG]

The bathroom has been ordered , along with the tiles, going for metro style ones in grey, from fired earth.
    A bit of an indulgence on my part, but its only a small bathroom so hey, what the hell. The room is now stripped to bare brick, and ready to be started on once I've dropped the ceiling and built a false wall to house the mixer shower / toilet cistern.
    [​IMG]

Id say conservatively that the bathroom will be done in the next two weeks.

Skip number 1 is pretty much full, will have to get another ordered this week i think.
    [​IMG]

Thats about it for now really folks, will post some pics during the rewire this week :)

Thanks for all your interest and encouraging comments so far, its appreciated.
  17. Geps

Geps Member

Ratings:
    +97
    A good project but I'm slightly confused.....why did you only go up to the architrave in the bedrooms? Why not all the way to the ceiling?

And how come you're rewiring and plastering before starting on the extension?

Are you planning on doing the project is stages?
  18. JFRTDI

JFRTDI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Can i be nosey and ask what kinda price you got that house for and how much you have set aside for the renovation?

Being a first time buyer myself, im intrigued to know as i have thought about doing something like this, but i dont have substantial amounts of money, so wondering if you have savings, or if you got it cheap and are using some mortgage money to do the project if such a thing can be done.
  19. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I'll be taking that part of the plaster down tmrw when I board the ceilings out. It's not being done in stages, I'm just making the majority of the house liveable so that we can move in whilst the extension is being built if we need to.
    The other half has a baby on the way and they don't tend to stick to the builders, architects, or my own time scales!
    Plan is to do the bathroom, 2 bedrooms and the front lounge ASAP, work on the extension will begin as soon as I've found the right builder.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    JFRTDI - you would need a fair amount of money behind you. The house was up for 189000 we paid 160 in the end, and I have around 60,000 in savings after paying my deposit / fees to do the work. As far as I know, banks will no longer lend for building work like this on a first purchase.
  21. j3ff

j3ff Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Looking good Jim, bet you enjoyed stripping that lathe and plaster :) Looks like you're cracking on nicely.

Skip filling needs a little work though. The sides need a bit of banking up. That one would class as about half full round our way :D

regards

jeff
  22. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Lol...

Same here, by the time he is finished the skips will be banked up:devil:
  23. andybailey1972

andybailey1972 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Love these builds / renovations, will keep me interested over the spring! best of luck with it, I hope everything goes smoothly.
  24. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks mate, more pics coming tmrw. Have laid te framework for 3 dropped ceilings and started the rewire today.
  25. blueboy1971

blueboy1971 Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Things are moving quite quickly. Liking this thread.
  26. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi guys, but of a lame update- no time for pics!
    In the past three days I've had all the lighting / power / network cables pulled in, just need the back boxes putting in and connecting up to the consumer unit now. Making a start on the bathroom fit out tmrw as all the stuff has arrived. Will post pics over the next couple of days when I get chance.

Jim
  27. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Evening all, apologies for the delay in getting pics up, as you will see... i have been busy!
    Got a fair amount on with work over the next few weeks so things may slow up, but will try to do as much as i can.
    The major update is that the wiring is done, well, the cables are in - i still have the backboxes to chisel out etc. I have run cat 5 to every room also, so we can get a proper home network up and running.

The start!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the power has been cut to the house until a proper spark comes to fit the consumer unit, save for one extension lead so this has been my temporary light fitting! :-D

[​IMG]

I have also lowered 3 ceilings to make way for LED down lighters

Bathroom
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 1
    [​IMG]

Bedroom 2
    [​IMG]
  28. jimbobCUK

jimbobCUK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    All the bathroom stuff also arrived last week
    here are the wall tiles
    [​IMG]

floor tiles - post sealant
    [​IMG]

and a front room full of bathroom paraphernalia!
    [​IMG]

Here is the now totally stripped bathroom
    [​IMG]

started with the boarding
    [​IMG]

and the concealed cistern for the wall hung toilet waiting to go on!
    [​IMG]

Ive got the heating engineers coming to do the new boiler on the 5th march, and the plasterers arriving on the same day too. Should be taking shape nicely by then, and fingers crossed work on the extension can begin shortly afterwards!
  29. j3ff

j3ff Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Coming along now!

Have you started fixing the pboard in the bathroom? Can't tell from the photos. (I assume you're dot and dabbing.) Standard pboard in any of the wet areas esp. the shower is a no no for longevity. Really need a water-resistant board of some type in those areas.

I always leave a small gap between the floor and the walls, (pack up with offcuts of pboard until the adhesive sets). This gives you a bit of scope to lift floor boards etc and removes any route for moisture to track up the board from the floor.

Also I assume you'll be over-boarding the floor with something so if you leave enough gap you can slip it underneath (saves on precise cutting etc).

keep up the good work

regards

jeff
  30. Killswitch

Killswitch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *subscribed*

Gonna be watching this one... im intersted to see how it pans out.