Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

128kb/s on 8 meg line, help!

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by ELV, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello all iv'e just been reconnected to pipex after a very drawn out affair,my line was dissconnected 2 months ago after a problem with my card, anyhow before the cut off i used to get around 2/2.5 mb connection speed.I now have been reconnected but have a totally new account, different passwords etc but i'm only getting aroud 106kb/s download speed. Nothing has changed at my end and Pipex can't do anything to request bt look at it until the 9 day settling period is over. Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong, the status windown on my Netgear dg834 says there's 32db of noise on the line but it sound fine.Swapped and checked everything else all is ok. Pipexdid say that bt had been doing something in the exchange hence the drawn out timescale but any ideas would be appreciated, Cheers.
  2. JamesE

JamesE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean that the S/N ratio is 32dB then you have a very good Signal to Noise ratio. The higher the better. You can get away with 3dB, better 6dB. It's a logarithmic scale so 32 is fantastic!
  3. ryouga

ryouga New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Your problem is likely your isp

And also dont forget the school holidays have just started so all the kiddies will be on for hours each day on msn or online games leeching the bandwith away.

But you have one of the worst isps in the uk
  4. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    This is what i get up in the connection status,

Connection Speed 128 kbps 64 kbps
    Line Attenuation 7 db 1.5 db
    Noise Margin 31 db 31 db ,

I know what you saying about the hollidays etc but i did have a steady 2 meg before and my house is only 100 yards from the exchange. Pipex were great for years btbh you only ever find out what cs is like when you need them, i ended up emailing the ceo of Pipex a letter ever since iv'e had contact with high level complains who sorted it preety swiftly,i'm waiting on bt now though .
  5. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Have you tried this in the test socket? (do you have a test socket?) This is definitely a line fault, but could in fact still be at your end... There is a very good chance however that it's a fault at the exchange, the line card being faulty or not set up properly on your port. Can you try going to www.speedtester.bt.com and putting your number in, see what happens, for one thing.
  6. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    But not in relation to his sync speed. It's a very stable, very very slow line.
    Which ISP do you use??? You can rarely get away with less than 5 with any level of stability on ADSL Max.
  7. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    It very likely isn't, if he's not on LLU. His problem is something to do with his line.
    Can you qualify this statement in any way whatsoever? You're obviously an expert, as this is your first post in the ISPs forum on this site. So libel is obviously the way forward....
  8. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The isp is Pipex, but i have a feeling as it's owned by Tascali, i may be on thier servers etc which i think could be LLU although i wasn't before. As i said i was happy with my speeds before re connection it's only since re connection iv'e had the slow speeds. Apparently bt had done something in the exchange and was part of the problem with getting re connected.

Iv'e tried the master socket but it's the same, i don't have anything other that a cordless phone connected any how and unplugging it didn't make any difference.Looks like i'll have to wait to the 9 days is up and give them a bell.

What difference does llu make?

Edit Bt speedtester says i should get 2000kb/s , actual 70 !!!

Cheers Elv.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    If you try the speedtester that I linked to, it'll tell you if you're on LLU :)
  10. ryouga

ryouga New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    So as its my first time on the isp forum I know nothing

I have had PLENTY of experience with Pipex my parents had it and lost connection for weeks at a time despite having great connection with other isps, I had it and was lucky to get 256kbs on a 8 meg line, switched to another isp full 8 meg.

They get bad customer reviews on sites like Thinkbroadband.

I assume you were the one that marked me for moderation.

Nice attitude you have.
  11. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    In the job that I have just left I could get disciplined, fined and ultimately sacked for publically slagging off another service provider, even if it was justified to do so.

I have never marked anyone for moderation, it's the moderators job to moderate and ultimately decide whether to issue an infraction for something.

My attitude doesn't seem to be a problem to most on here, hence the "thanks" figures...
  12. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10,102
    The matter has been discussed and resolved, so let's leave it at that and keep this thread on topic, thanks.
  13. CP-PC

CP-PC Member

Ratings:
    +146
    where are you getting the 70kb/s value from?? go to speedtest.net and click on the server nearest to your location (it should automatically be highlited as a "yellow" pyramid) and let us know what speed test is reporting. and i agree with seanT, he has been very helpfull and proven his knowlege in many threads in many sections. "pointing fingers" is not going to help anyone, if anything it will just get the moderators on your tail even more..... ive been picked up by one of the moderators for "circumventing the swearing filter" once when i was in a rage with an isp and my communication with the moderator was quite pleasent. right back on topic (sorry for getting side tracked there kavanf1)

has your speed picked up any ELV??? or is it still low? as you say its possibly something that has been done in the exchange and if nothing has changed regarding your physical line or pc's and phones in your house then its not your fault, if you get a continued slow speed than all you can really do is carry on at your isp to get it sorted. have a look at speedtest.net and see what it says as your modem may just be reporting wrong settings. im assuming your getting your connection speed from your modem status page?
  14. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I got my speed from from the linked site, a few others gives the same speeds.
    I realy is painfully slow, you can virtually make a coffee between pages.
    It's still as slow, nothings changed. I was talking to Tiscali today who seem to think it's a problem in the exchange possibly with the ports, but who knows.So here's hoping!

Cheers Elv
  15. CP-PC

CP-PC Member

Ratings:
    +146
    it may possibly be a fault with the exchange in which case there isnt much you can do:suicide:
  16. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Did you try the BT speedtester and find out if you're on LLU or not yet? Or, what exchange are you on? www.samknows.co.uk
  17. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Here's my exchange,

mation
    Exchange name: Harrington
    Exchange code: LCHAR
    Postcode: CA145NZ
    Maps: Our map|Multimap|Streetmap
    Serves (approx): 3,534 residential premises
    69 non-residential premises.
    Broadband availability overview
    ADSL: Yes
    SDSL: No
    LLU services: No
    Cable: No
    Wireless: No
    BT Wholesale information
    ADSL status: Enabled as of 22/10/2003
    ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
    SDSL status: Not available
    21CN WBC status: Not available
    21CN PSTN switchover target: Q1 2010
    Wireless broadband availability
    LTT Broadband: Not available
    Now Wireless: Not available
    OnLincolnshire: Not available
    Urban Wimax: Not available
    Kijoma: Not available
    EMNET Notts: Not available
    Orbital / VFast: Not available
    Cable broadband availability
    Virgin Media: Not available
    Smallworld Media: Not available

» Who are all these providers?
    » Spotted an error? Let us know
    LLU operator presence What is this?
    AOL: Not available
    O2 / Be: Not available
    C&W / Bulldog: Not available
    Edge Telecom: Not available
    Entanet: Not available
    Lumison: Not available
    NewNet: Not available
    Node4: Not available
    Orange: Not available
    Pipex: Not available
    Sky / Easynet: Not available
    Smallworld: Not available
    TalkTalk (CPW): Not available
    Tiscali: Not available
    Tiscali TV: Not available
    Updata: Not available
    WB Internet: Not available
    Zen Internet: Not available
    Ofcom Classification What's this?
    Market 1This exchange has BT Wholesale as the sole provider of broadband services.Exchange HistorySubscribe to RSS Feed
    19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q1 2010 for the switch to 21CN for the Harrington exchange
    Email notifications of changes to:
    It says it's not enabled for LLU so hopefully that's not the problem.Pipex are going to report the fault on Friday, it is Tiscali and i have read that they are LLU, is it possible t be on LLU in a non LLu exchange, perhaps resulting in dail up speeds?

Elv
  18. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Try plugging and unplugging the adsl (RJ11) cable to your router at least ten times within the space of a few minutes to make the kit on the other end think there is a problem and hopefully reprofile your line. Also try leaving the router off overnight and switching it back on the following day / evening.
    Chances are it's a fault in the exchange, something is configured wrong, so it'll be a BT wholesale fault. See if your ISP will give you the BT fault reference (VOL) number for the actual fault so you can get progress direct from BT.

And as it's a BT wholesale circuit, please use the speedtester at speedtester.bt.com as it'll tell us a teeny bit more, and the BT faults teams can see the results of these tests when you do them, so it actually helps them diagnose the fault quickly and effectively.
  19. ELV

ELV Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Iv'e used the bt speed tester a couple of times although i can never get it to
    work by changing the login details.

Cheers.