Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100W bulb in a 60W max ceiling light

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Lighting, Security & Climate' started by MSW, Jan 19, 2008.

1. MSW

MSW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +191
    At the top of my stairs I have an Ikea Ceilang Lamp which has a sticker on the inside that says 60W max.

Problem is that 60W is not bright enough for the stairs.

I have put in a 100W (20W energy saver), the lamp will be turned on for about 12 hours contantly. Used as a night light for kids.

Is there any real issue with puting a 100 (20W energy saver) in a fitting which is marked 60W, what will happen,

Thanks
    Mark
  2. curvature

curvature Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Mark, you will have no problem as long as you are using a low energy lamp.

The lamp rating is 20w and gives an equivelent light output of a traditional 100w bulb.

Lamp ratings are put on fittings mainly because of heat build up. If you put a higher wattage bulb in you risk excessive heat and potentially a fire.

Hope that helps

Nick
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MSW

MSW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Hi Nick, that heps an awful lot, I onyl changed the bulb this morning so, can sleep peacefully tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Mark
  4. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Them energy saving bulbs are crap really.

Don't they know that people have dimmer switches.

If you don't want an epileptic fit then don't use 'em.

They flicker like mad.
  5. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +323
    There are now fully dimmable energy saving bulbs from Varilight that can be dimmed with most electronic dimmers. They do cost about 3 or 4 times the price of standard low energy lamps but they do work surprisingly well

Standard energy saving lamps come with plenty of warnings not to use with dimmers, they can overheat (seen posts on the web of lamps with melted bases :eek:), damage the dimmer, and also use as much energy as a normal standard lamp even when set to full output from the dimmer. So not a good idea :lesson:

There are also fully dimmable GU10 & MR16 low energy replacements based on both fluorescent and LED technologies that have recently launched although you have to match theses carefully to the dimmers - some use 1-10v dimming control, others require trailing edge dimmers which are not as common as leading edge dimmers.