10 GB file onto a 4.7 GB dvd

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a 10 gb mkv file i am wanting to put on a 4.7 GB dvd disk am i right in thinking i need to use a program like dvd shrink to get the file size down to 4.7GB ?

No DVDShrink is for compressing DVD-video - and was designed to compress movies originally on dual layer disks to fit onto a regular single layer DVD+/-R.

I don't know of any standalone equipment that will play .MKV files so does it really need to be a single DVD?

If say the MKV file is an HD movie, your best bet is to split/cut the video over a few disks - as compressing it further would just make a mess of the file quality-wise. MKV2VOB will repack the video into a .vob file which playsback on the PS3, and you can also tell it to split the files to DVD-R/CD-R sizes etc.

No DVDShrink is for compressing DVD-video - and was designed to compress movies originally on dual layer disks to fit onto a regular single layer DVD+/-R.

I don't know of any standalone equipment that will play .MKV files so does it really need to be a single DVD?

If say the MKV file is an HD movie, your best bet is to split/cut the video over a few disks - as compressing it further would just make a mess of the file quality-wise. MKV2VOB will repack the video into a .vob file which playsback on the PS3, and you can also tell it to split the files to DVD-R/CD-R sizes etc.

I was wanting to play the disk/file on a standard dvd player so the .mkv would have to be changed to something like .AVI ?

Your never going to get that MKV (I'm assuming a 1080p rip) onto a DVD without reducing the quality.

All you can do is use something like ConvertXtoDVD (Not free but by far the best quality video to DVD conversion software)

Yes, you'll need to convert it to another format to play it on a standalone player. Your player may support DivX/XviD .avi files saved to a CD or DVD - but like the others have said I recommend you avoid that and convert it to standard DVD.

I agree ConvertXtoDVD is a good prog as it will convert just about anything.

A free solution which should work is FAVC. The only reason this will not work is if you have dts audio in the MKV file as opposed to Dolby Digital , as i don't think that is supported. Check it out here/download at videohelp.com:

FAVC

I've used it a few times to convert HD MKV files to DVD in the past and it's fairly simple. I'm sure there's even a guide on that page that will tell you step by step how to do it, although it's essentially a one-click solution.

Thanks ye it is a 1080p file if i use convertXtodvd will it be of a good quality say as good as dvd even though it will compress it quite abit ?

It would probably be quicker and easier to download a new version, either a Xvid dvd rip or a dvd-r.

Ive been reading with interest guys as I have a similar problem,for xmas I got a WD Media player which is superb,it has played every file ive thrown at it so far! the problem i have is that I have several large movie files (some as big as 8gb) mostly .mkv that I have downloaded sitting on my laptop and I cannot get them on to any usb/ex hard drive as they are larger than 4gb is there a way to shrink these or wll i have to bin them?
Oh bye the way- Happy Christmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom