1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 GB file onto a 4.7 GB dvd

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by bekko, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    Hi i have a 10 gb mkv file i am wanting to put on a 4.7 GB dvd disk am i right in thinking i need to use a program like dvd shrink to get the file size down to 4.7GB ?
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No DVDShrink is for compressing DVD-video - and was designed to compress movies originally on dual layer disks to fit onto a regular single layer DVD+/-R.

I don't know of any standalone equipment that will play .MKV files so does it really need to be a single DVD?

If say the MKV file is an HD movie, your best bet is to split/cut the video over a few disks - as compressing it further would just make a mess of the file quality-wise. MKV2VOB will repack the video into a .vob file which playsback on the PS3, and you can also tell it to split the files to DVD-R/CD-R sizes etc.
  3. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +303

I was wanting to play the disk/file on a standard dvd player so the .mkv would have to be changed to something like .AVI ?
  4. deefadog

deefadog Member

Ratings:
    +78
  5. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Your never going to get that MKV (I'm assuming a 1080p rip) onto a DVD without reducing the quality.

All you can do is use something like ConvertXtoDVD (Not free but by far the best quality video to DVD conversion software)
  6. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Yes, you'll need to convert it to another format to play it on a standalone player. Your player may support DivX/XviD .avi files saved to a CD or DVD - but like the others have said I recommend you avoid that and convert it to standard DVD.

I agree ConvertXtoDVD is a good prog as it will convert just about anything.

A free solution which should work is FAVC. The only reason this will not work is if you have dts audio in the MKV file as opposed to Dolby Digital , as i don't think that is supported. Check it out here/download at videohelp.com:

FAVC

I've used it a few times to convert HD MKV files to DVD in the past and it's fairly simple. I'm sure there's even a guide on that page that will tell you step by step how to do it, although it's essentially a one-click solution.
  7. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks ye it is a 1080p file if i use convertXtodvd will it be of a good quality say as good as dvd even though it will compress it quite abit ?
  8. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879

Yes the quality will be as good as DVD.
  9. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Member

Ratings:
    +99
    It would probably be quicker and easier to download a new version, either a Xvid dvd rip or a dvd-r.
  10. Axum

Axum Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Does the standard player have a USB slot ?
  11. Axum

Axum Member

Ratings:
    +815
    But surely that wouldn't be legal ;)
  12. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    No it doesn't.
  13. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +303

You mean all these file..........
  14. hillclimber

hillclimber Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive been reading with interest guys as I have a similar problem,for xmas I got a WD Media player which is superb,it has played every file ive thrown at it so far! the problem i have is that I have several large movie files (some as big as 8gb) mostly .mkv that I have downloaded sitting on my laptop and I cannot get them on to any usb/ex hard drive as they are larger than 4gb is there a way to shrink these or wll i have to bin them?
    Oh bye the way- Happy Christmas.