Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£250 burning a hole for my hols!

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by sharger, Feb 19, 2012.

1. sharger

sharger Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Going on my hols next month and want to replace my headphones I use with my ipod/macbook pro. Currently Etymotic MicroPro ER-4S.

I don't want in ear models this time as they tend to hurt after a bit of wearing.

I also would like to use when at home via my Arcam AV8 (don't know if this is possible or whether it would need a different set of cans?)

I like indie, (guitars) reggae, adele, amy, lana del ray, bjork etc...

So what do you reckon? Can go slightly higher but would need to be a justifiable return on my investment.
  2. Quaddy

Quaddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    sony pfr-v1 are er-4s like sound sig, but more holographic, nice and accurate, and are hybrid, ear speaker, and slightly in ear, just a foamed tube sits comfortable, not tight to cause tender ear, they are very nice

you already have a very resolving, nice earphone in the ety, so you may want to stay away from bass monsters

how about something pure like the sennheiser 600, nothing else beats it in its nearby price bracket, till a long way up the price ladder
  3. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,510
    Senn HD600 is a good recommendation but the OP appears to want a portable for holidaying? Perhaps Senn HD-25 ii

Or maybe Audio-Technica as they have bass bias leading to warm sound and forward mids which lends itself to vocals. Though beware of fit on the ES range
    Have you tried comply tips rather than the stock triple flanges or basic foamies? If not go on the Comply website and then follow logically to see compatible tips
  4. sharger

sharger Member

Ratings:
    +162
    I've been doing some more research and think I'll be going for a closed back set of cans... I've got a shortlist as follows:

Beyerdynamic DT1350

Ultrasone PRO750

Denon AH-D2000

B&W P5s

Over budget but I'm interested in the Ultrasone PRO900 but they would have to be significantly better to justify the extra expenditure?

Are they all capable of being driven by an ipod/macbook whilst being also a good match for an AV8 processor? Or would they need an portable amp (just for the ipod??)

thanks...