Weird 4GB Folder Size Bug for Streaming DivX/Xvid?

mremulator

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I may have found a bug... I have 2 USB2 HD's connected to my PC; on each drive I have created a folder... "AVI Movies". If the contents of the folder exceed 4GB (multiple AVI's) the selected DivX/Xvid will not play, I get an error saying that the Xbox 360 has disconnected from the PC (tried 2 different Xbox 360's on my home network) and I have to reboot the PC?

This does NOT affect WMV, WMV-HD or any files in Media Center extender, only DivX and Xvid (AVI) when streaming from the dashboard.

Surely you can have a folder full of AVI's larger than 4GB... No? Why on earth would you have to have 10+ separate folders for 40GB worth of AVI's for example?

In addition, FAT32 & NTFS has nothing to do with this I'm sure, as the drives are connected to the PC and not the 360 directly.

Glad you posted that, you could have saved me no end of time farting around and scratching my head!

Glad you posted that, you could have saved me no end of time farting around and scratching my head!

Have you had the same problem? Took me all morning to figure this out by the way!

Not sure bout a folder but if you look on the FAQ for it, it mentions

"What size USB storage device does the Xbox 360 support?

The Xbox 360 will support as big of a storage device as you can format using FAT32. Unfortunately when formatting a device in Windows Vista or Windows XP you will be restricted to a maximum FAT32 size of 32GB. You can work around this limitation by using a 3rd party utility or using an alternative Operating System that does not have this restriction. Please note that the maximum size of any single file on FAT32 is 4GB."

" What is the maximum video file size that is supported?

The maximum file size for an AVI, MPEG-4 Part 2, and H.264 file that can be played is 4 GB. 4GB is also the maximum size of any single file that you can store on a FAT32 USB hard drive. However, Windows Media Player 11 and the Zune software do support streaming WMV files greater than 4GB."

Source

Along with the disconnected message do you get error code "53-COODF238"?

If so it's happening to me too and I've tried everything to fix it! If a weird 4GB limit is the problem at least I now know whats causing it (everything was fine before the update and it was starting to severely annoy me)

Have you had the same problem? Took me all morning to figure this out by the way!

No I've not tried anything yet but that would have been a problem as I have all of 24 season 1 in a single folder.

Along with the disconnected message do you get error code "53-COODF238"?

If so it's happening to me too and I've tried everything to fix it! If a weird 4GB limit is the problem at least I now know whats causing it (everything was fine before the update and it was starting to severely annoy me)

Yep same code. If you make the folder smaller than 4GB all files inside will play. However, if the folder is larger than 4GB only the files at the top of the list seem to play, thumbnails are missing for some AVI's and some display nothing more than an animated Xbox logo when highlighted. The problem files (when selected) cause a 3-5 second black screen before getting the error message. Then nothing (movies, pictures or music) will stream again until the PC is rebooted. WTF?

I have reported this to M$

Not sure bout a folder but if you look on the FAQ for it, it mentions

"What size USB storage device does the Xbox 360 support?

The Xbox 360 will support as big of a storage device as you can format using FAT32. Unfortunately when formatting a device in Windows Vista or Windows XP you will be restricted to a maximum FAT32 size of 32GB. You can work around this limitation by using a 3rd party utility or using an alternative Operating System that does not have this restriction. Please note that the maximum size of any single file on FAT32 is 4GB."

" What is the maximum video file size that is supported?

The maximum file size for an AVI, MPEG-4 Part 2, and H.264 file that can be played is 4 GB. 4GB is also the maximum size of any single file that you can store on a FAT32 USB hard drive. However, Windows Media Player 11 and the Zune software do support streaming WMV files greater than 4GB."

Source

Thanks, but this has nothing to do with it.

Standard DVD's have a max of 4.7Gb so if you filled one with DivX content would it not play? Or are they not affected?

Standard DVD's have a max of 4.7Gb so if you filled one with DivX content would it not play? Or are they not affected?

I do not see the point, as I have no intention of burning a DVD every time I want to watch an AVI, or making sure the folder is -4GB. I'll stick with Media Center and Transcode 360. Also you don't have to change the display size that way either.

I will burn 4.5GB worth of AVI's to a DVD-R though just to eliminate the media.

Also found this, however, I have the latest codecs: http://forums.xbox.com/17155359/ShowPost.aspx

Yep same code. If you make the folder smaller than 4GB and all files inside will play. However, if the folder is larger than 4GB only the files at the top of the list seem to play, thumbnails are missing for some AVI's and some display nothing more than an animated Xbox logo when highlighted. The problem files (when selected) cause a 3-5 second black screen before getting the error message. Then nothing (movies, pictures or music) will stream again until the PC is rebooted. WTF?

EXACTLY the same as me, was pulling my hair out because everything was fine before the fall update! I'm going to try putting my videos into their own folders (what a fiasco) and hopefully that'll sort me out for the minute. The fact that it stops the music and pictures too until you reboot was annoying me aswell.

Cheers for the heads up about this probem, I had no idea what was causing it. I've found your thread on the Xbox forums and will add my support to that for ya :thumbsup:

I do not see the point, as I have no intention of burning a DVD every time I want to watch an AVI, or making sure the folder is -4GB. I'll stick with Media Center and Transcode 360. Also you don't have to change the display size that way either.

I will burn 4.5GB worth of AVI's to a DVD-R though just to eliminate the media.

Also found this, however, I have the latest codecs: http://forums.xbox.com/17155359/ShowPost.aspx

I was only interested as '24' is in a folder thats about 8.9Gb so I planned on burning them to 2 DVD's so I wont have to switch on my PC every time I wanted to watch an episode, I looks like I may have to split them across 3 DVD's if this is the case.

Wait until you find the limit on folders and how far you can go with them as in parent / child / child and so on :suicide:. Same issue I had on my very old dvd player that played avi files. Seems like in 5 years I have went far ;)

**** Solution ****

I'm using K-Lite Codec Pack 3.5.7 FULL. DivX was set to "ibavcodec" under "fdshow video decoder" configuration on my PC. Basically I changed DivX from "libavcodec" to "disabled"... this forces it to use the DivX Codec (DirectShow Filter) instead of libavcodec (FFDShow). All AVI files now show and play as they should.

When you stream an AVI the Xbox360 must use the codecs installed on the PC and not the ones installed in the dashboard if that makes sense?

If you do not use this codec pack or similar, make sure that you have the latest version of DivX installed:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/index.php

:clap:

I have k-lite installed and it wouldnt work, so I uninstalled k-lite then re-installed it and selected the official Divx codec when it asked me and it didn't help :(

If I re-install the k-lite codec pack, select none for Divx then install the official Divx codec should that fix it?

configin7.jpg

I totally uninstalled my K-lite codec pack and it totally works, you absolute legend :thumbsup:

Will re-install it with your settings, thanks again fella!!!

I totally uninstalled my K-lite codec pack and it totally works, you absolute legend :thumbsup:

Will re-install it with your settings, thanks again fella!!!

My pleasure. :D

k-lite re-installed with your settings and so far so good :thumbsup:

You've no idea how irritated I was getting! Cheers again!

I've shared your fix in a thread I was involved in on the official Xbox forums but I've given you credit for telling me, hope you don't mind!

I dont seem to have this problem as I have a folder called 'My Films' on my HDD with 38Gb's worth of films and I can stream them to my 360 just fine :confused:

We found it was a codec issue and not a folder size issue Indy, we've (well mremulator :D ) sussed it now :thumbsup:

Ah read the first few posts then responded, guess I should have read the whole thing :rolleyes:

solution is really strange

if the 360 is just using the codecs from the PC to play files then why cant it just play anything thats playable in media player??

if we uninstalled every codec completely and tried playing the file on the 360 - what would happen?

I don't think its using the PC's codecs (because files can be played off flash pens and cd/dvd-r's) but media player uses the codecs to get thumbnails etc from files iirc (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) and thats why things were messing up on the pc side of things.

Stopping ffdshow (and hence libvacodec) from interacting at all fixes it so WMP11 (or at least the sharing side of WMP11) doesnt like libvacodec.

Edit -> I uninstalled all my codecs (read earlier in the thread) and the files streamed fine to my 360 but media player couldn't play most of them.

It's all to to with MP11 and streaming; I don't really understand it either, but hey it worked. :thumbsup:

All they gotta do now is add MKV support and I'll be one happy chappy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom