• E74 error before NXE

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • E74 error after NXE

Votes: 52 62.7%

• Total voters

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speculation is growing that MS are pulling the wool over our eyes regarding 'curing' the RROD, it seams more and more people are getting E74 errors, that are only covered my MS's 1 year warranty and not the extended RROD 3 year warranty.

MS could have altered the error codes in the NXE update so that if a console gets a RROD error, it now shows up as a E74 error, and therefore MS dont have to fix it after 1 year warranty has expired.

Please fill in the poll and lets see if MS are actually conning us and getting out of fixing RROD 360's under the 3 year warranty scheme.

Last edited:
Well done Mark.

This could turn out very interesting.
If our suspicions are justified with the results it would be worth passing it on the press!
Might get my E74'd console fixed for free :thumbsup:

Cheers

Simon

the heat from the GPU is making the HANA chip to fail, thats why you get the E74 error.

look at the results so far

RROD before NXE none after
E74 after NXE none before

could be right on your suspicions

Unbelivable - my sister has just called me, her sons 360 is showing graphical errors!!

Another one heading for a E74 error, how old is it you wonder??

14 months!!!

Another vote for E74 after NXE though i cant vote again

I have been thinking this for a while when about 10 of us all got e74 within a week period.

The HANA chip was the issue with mine, RRoD traditionally was GPU, CPU or motherboard failure, but should really apply to HANA, but MS knowing HANA are more prone to failure (gleaned from numerous internet sources that may or may not be reliable) than the ANA in the original non-HDMI 360s clearly didn't want to do that.

Another here! Friday night I started getting a flickering across the screen then got the E74 then 1 hr later I tried turning it on again and got the 3 red Lights. 16months old.

Turns out good it went to 3 red lights, I'll get it fixed for free now. Although it's still annoying.

So what was a RROD error?
This is the original fail fault. It when heat inside the console causes tiny amounts of flexing on the mother board (not sufficiently braced for extra cheapness :suicide:), this in turn causes the CPU to ave a failure due to breaking connection with the mother board. The fix people speak of was to add extra glue to the processor to try stop is happening again, cheapest solution I'll bet.

BTW my bro bought a 360 a couple months ago and guess what, E74 a couple weeks ago. He just took the console back and swapped it. Still rediculous though.

IMO the 360 is the most unreliable piece of hardware ive ever come across. Even my original one suffered a HDD failure and got scrapped. Ive read a few articles on the subject too, not least the most recent one detailing just how bad the hardware was even before the console launch. But MS tried to get away with it.

Another here! Friday night I started getting a flickering across the screen then got the E74 then 1 hr later I tried turning it on again and got the 3 red Lights. 16months old.

Turns out good it went to 3 red lights, I'll get it fixed for free now. Although it's still annoying.

No vote on RROD after NXE???

BTW my bro bought a 360 a couple months ago and guess what, E74 a couple weeks ago. He just took the console back and swapped it. Still rediculous though.

FYI, I have 2 consoles. A launch model (well a repaired one after RROD) and a new one with HDMI. I'm using the HDMI to connect it and its keeps crashing and giving disc unreadable messages. Ive seen a couple hints its going to either RROD or E74 on me with blocky screens flashing past during logo screen swaps and the like.

I'll update this post with what happens and see which one I get (if any :rolleyes:)

UPDATE: Not long now, its amazing how much worse these screens have got in so little time. Console has now started crashing whilst my other half is playing viva pinata. 4 Time in 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
had e74 1 red ring on my 2.5 year old 360.

i used the online ms request repair thing, put it down as 3 red rings, it was piked up nxt day, took 10 days to get back all repaired. all way to germany.

so what u got to lose? if they send it back unrepaired you lost nothing, its still broke.

btw, this was a week ago.

Mine got the RROD a few weeks back, kept getting crashes and graphic problems on screen and then turned it on one day and had 3 red rings :thumbsdow
That was after the NXE

Deftones

Mine died with E74 November 2007 well before NXE.

The NXE can't change the onboard diagnostics, it is merely a firmware update, but MS can update them on newly manufactured machines.

I am betting that 90% of RRoDs from now on are old machines, MS even said that there would be some old units out there that would RRoD, that was code for 'Consoles with old diagnostics in them'.

I believe MS changed the diagnostics with the Falcon revision, so I believe any console that was made in 2007 onwards will likely get the e74.

Speculation is growing that MS are pulling the wool over our eyes regarding 'curing' the RROD, it seams more and more people are getting E74 errors, that are only covered my MS's 1 year warranty and not the extended RROD 3 year warranty.

MS could have altered the error codes in the NXE update so that if a console gets a RROD error, it now shows up as a E74 error, and therefore MS dont have to fix it after 1 year warranty has expired.
I can understand the thinking on this, but looking at it another way, it makes no sense.

Microsoft extended the warranty for RROD to three years due to the large amount of negative publicity it was getting from an angry userbase.

Changing the RROD into the E74 would mean a large decrease in RROD's and a large increase in E74's. They would gain almost nothing and loose everything. 360's would start to fail en-mass outside the warranty again and the negative publicity (which has abated since the three year warranty was announced) would start all over... and I'm positive MS doesn't want that!

I'm not defending MS on the reliability of the 360, it's obvious it's not the most reliable piece of consumer electronics ever created :rolleyes: but (to me) it would make no sense for Microsoft to take that devious approach.

The E74 error existed LONG before the NXE, if I'm not mistaken, so I'm willing to bet either faulty batches and\or hardware configurations (and there have been many) are the root cause.

I've voted in your poll as I just got E74 yesterday.

:mad:

What you recon I just send it back and say it's got 3rrod? Gonna give it a go anyways.

It's an Elite - Falcon btw. Manufactured bout Nov 2007 I think. :(

I agree with that, however it will also save MS millions in repairing faulty consoles with the E74 error.

What are the fat cats more bothered about, bottom line balance figures or a bit of bad publicity?

I can imagine the boardroom now, 'We're happy to announce that we have managed to make dramatic cost cuts at our factory in Germany, as the rate of RROD repair have dropped significantly, saving £X millions', applauds all round.

Just seams to be a funny coincidence the forum users have had alot of E74 errors recently.
( ^^ another one while typing this :rolleyes: )

I'd hardly heard of E74 error before.

It maybe just that the new consoles that have modifications to correct the RROD, are throwing up other errors.

MS should just make it a blanket 3 years warranty on the 360 for any error, as you say 'it's obvious it's not the most reliable piece of consumer electronics ever created'

What you recon I just send it back and say it's got 3rrod? Gonna give it a go anyways.

Had mine picked up today, i'll keep everyone informed.

BTW mine was an arcade, manf. 24.9.07, bought 17/01/2008

Last edited:
Nice one Mark.

I'll keep a look out here then on your results. I'm gonna give them a ring tonight and get them to pick it up asap. Hope I get the same one back.

Don't know what to do with my weeknights now.. ha.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom