Wii Zapper & 3rd party gun housings - discussion thread

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little look at the finalised Wii Zapper for those that missed the E3 videos.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/07/11/a-closer-look-at-the-wii-zapper/

zapperpreview071107.jpg

In action http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21540.html

Thanks fo the post, don't get me wrong I do like it and I will buy it but I'm not sure i'd go as far as saying it was as revolutionary as Mr Anime suggests, at the end of the day it's merely a lump of plastic that houses the remotes and nunchuck and doesn't allow you to do anything you can't do without it.

But like I say I do like it and I'm sure it'll make FPS's (and that's shooters not zappers !!!:D) feel more natural.... although I fear I'm still going to have to exaplain to guests that they need to bear in mind where thre sensor bar is !!:rolleyes:

This one looks a bit more useable:

Sharp-Shooter

Yeah...that one looks better than the Wii Zapper. I dont like the fact that the Wii Zapper uses is a two-handed approach, whereas this Joytech one looks like it uses one hand.

Anyone got this Joytech one?

How do these work anyway? The triggers on the Wii Zapper and Joytech...how do they activate firing on the Wiimote? The Wii Zapper looks like it activates the button on the back of the Wiimote but the Joytech appears to activate the nunchuck buttons?

How do these work anyway? The triggers on the Wii Zapper and Joytech...how do they activate firing on the Wiimote? The Wii Zapper looks like it activates the button on the back of the Wiimote but the Joytech appears to activate the nunchuck buttons?

Good point, I'm guessing once the official one is released and games are designed to fire (or zap as Nintendo like to call it) with the B button on the remtote, then unless you can redefine the buttons in-game then the Joytech one will become redundant/useless !

I think they chose this design deliberately to make you shoot from the hip. A pistol design would encourage you to use the sights (which wouldn't necessarily work because of the sensor bar position).

I don't think this will make FPS games any good at all as you've only really got access to the nunchuck thumstick which isn't enough. I think we'll see it's use limited to duck hunt type games and on-rails shooters like Umbrella Chronicles.

I do like the tilt to reload mechanism and having a bayonet adds something. I guess the rumble might add something too.

Just my 2p

It won't be aimed at on-rails shooters only. Although brief I thought the video of the Zapper in use with the upcoming MoH game looked very promising.

There are better looking 3rd party gun housing designs out there, but I'm sure Nintendo have tested a ton of prototypes so don't doubt the official Zapper will end being the best one to actually use.

It won't be aimed at on-rails shooters only. Although brief I thought the video of the Zapper in use with the upcoming MoH game looked very promising.

There are better looking 3rd party gun housing designs out there, but I'm sure Nintendo have tested a ton of prototypes so don't doubt the official Zapper will end being the best one to actually use.

Yep Medal Of Honour will be using the Zapper too, with up to 32 players online :smashin:

Zapper Segment of the Nintendo Conference

I can't access any videos or what not from work so havent seen the sharp shooter one but i would have thought that only the wi-mote should be housed in a gun style case with the nunchuck still free in your left hand for motion, just thinking from a RE4 point of view.

Looks nice though :thumbsup:

What does this do, other than act as a rifle-like holder for the Wiimote and nunchuck? The marketing blurb implies that games are being written to support it, but it just looks like a chunk of plastic AFAICS. :confused:

What does this do, other than act as a rifle-like holder for the Wiimote and nunchuck? The marketing blurb implies that games are being written to support it, but it just looks like a chunk of plastic AFAICS. :confused:

It is basically as you describe. What is meant by games supporting the design is that they are being developed with the Zapper layout/design in mind. So far there have been varying controls for FPS games so far on the Wii, not all(if any) would be perfectly suited to the Zapper due to button configuration together with nunchuck gestures.

So $19.99 is around what £10 at the current $ to £ exchange rate. Cant see that being the price in the UK....espically if it comes with some sort of game as they say it will.

Shall be intresting.

So $19.99 is around what £10 at the current $ to £ exchange rate. Cant see that being the price in the UK....espically if it comes with some sort of game as they say it will.

Shall be intresting.

Probably be between £19.99 and £29.99 over here.

Does RE have co-op? Any game with 2 guns is great. I bought a Saturn and Virtua Cop 2 just for that (when it was cheap).

Does RE have co-op? Any game with 2 guns is great. I bought a Saturn and Virtua Cop 2 just for that (when it was cheap).

Yes it does have co-op.

IGN have just reviewed the Wii Blaster, despite being a third party housing it actually sounds better than the Zapper in alot of areas.

Up front a cutout gives direct access to the Wiimote's own trigger, which we like a lot since we found the Zapper's mechanical trigger mushy when we played with it at E3.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/807/807718p1.html?RSSwhen2007-07-24_164600&RSSid=807729

Think I prefer the shotgun style of the Blaster over the tommy gun modelled Zapper.

core-gamer-wii-blaster-200707240442.jpg

core-gamer-wii-blaster-200707240-1.jpg

IGN awarded it an impressive 8/10 calling it a good alternative to the Zapper especially seeing as it's more suited to the current FPS games.
The design also proved itself superior to the Zapper for playing legacy games like Red Steel due to the fact that the forward grip allows access to the A button and D-pad, which the tommy gun style Zapper does not.

Personally I'll be waiting until I find out more about the Zapper & the bundled software before buying any guns, this one will certainly be considered though.

The Wii Blaster looks great, that fact it's like a shotgun as you say makes it even cooler! :thumbsup:

I dunno, if it just uses the remotes own trigger then you'll be firing the gun with your front hand rather than your back hand. To me that just sounds wrong as surely it won't feel like you are actually firing a shotgun. It'll just be like pointing with the Wii-mote using two hands only it's twice as long. At least the Zapper has the trigger in the right place for a tommy gun even if it does feel 'mushey'. I guess if you can remap the controls so you can use the nunchuk button to fire it might work.

The other problem I have with these is the obsession with putting the nunchuk in the back of it. This means using the nunchuk for gestures won't be possible but I don't see what the benefit is. Why not just have a one-handed gun? So far I much prefer the pistol based design that someone posted a few months back that just makes the remote revolver shaped and the nunchuk plugs into the bottom. A wireless nunchuk would make this design even better.

I really hope developers are not only aware but appreciate the amount of different gun shells that are becoming available & allow complete(where possible) control configuration in their games. There must be at least 6 different designs available already, probably more & each are set out differently.

Not sure if Nintendo could have any influence here by requesting devs to leave out controller config options to encourage people to stick with the Zapper. Hopefully not as I'd like to at least have a choice of which gun housing I prefer, if the third party housings aren't taken into consideration by the devs with regards to control options we'll be pretty much restricted to the Zapper.

Sounds good - lets hope the UK price is similar (although who's betting that it will be £19.99 :rolleyes:)

Doesn't anyone find it strange that a game based on crossbow shooting is being released with what is essentially a variation of a light gun.

What I don't get is why no updated Duck Hunt! :(

That was my second game I ever played when I was 6 and me and my bro got a Nes from the parents (number one was Mario Bros of course)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom