PES 2009 - discussion thread

Scott23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know?

Also - where is the cheapest place so far for it?

should be released in 9 days

try shopto.net

I saw something on ign that said it was going to shops today but it wasnt clear whether that was in the us only or in uk too? Really enjoyed the wii 2008 version (so much better than the awful 360 version that pushed me over to playing fifa 09) so hopefully they will have sorted the tackling bit out. The new shooting aim mode looks like it will be better too. With a proper master league mode too this game should be the mutts nuts

I never manage to play it properly, it was the hardest footie game I ever played lol

I found it tough to begin with but grew to really enjoy the freedom you get with the players runs. Really felt like you could start to string together some great passing play

N Gamer mag have the release date as 27th March.

With Master league mode included and fully controlable defence system this is a must for me.

This and Madworld and GTA Chinatown Wars.

Last edited:
I have just read the review on ign but it is a confusing review. The person who wrote the review says that the Master League section was in the last one but it wasn't. The main point of the review is that although they seem to have sorted out the defence a bit better the nunchuck swing method for shooting is still there along with a method of pointing where you want to shoot the actual game is not very different at all to 2008 so maybe not worth picking up. Would love to hear people's opinions on this game when it is released to see whether they agree

It is out on Friday. I bought Official Nintendo Magazine yesterday and it scored a Gold Award 93%. A must purchase and you can use the classic controller if you want. Only thing they commented on negative was a slight lack of licenced teams (as usual) and also that the menu screens are not up to FIFA standard. Graphics they said were decent (better than PS2 quality anyway) Online mode is there, but is quite basic. Gameplay outstanding. Full Master League too !! Hurrah !! ONM claimed the footy crown has been won back from FIFA !! Hope this helps !!

Eurogamer gave it 8 out of 10:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review - Page 1 // Wii /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

To be honest though, I don't find that review very encouraging, speaking as someone who already has 2008. I was hoping they would rework the defensive system, the shooting and the free kicks but it sounds like it's been tweaked at best. It doesn't help that the reviewer doesn't really seem to know or remember what's new compared to last years version. He talks about a couple of improvements that were actually already in last years game as if they were brand new features, namely the one-two and incepting passes.

The only changes I can see is for defending you can now fine-tune the defenders position with the nunchuk stick, for freekicks you can aim left or right and for shooting there's the option of a precise shot using the pointer (and I'm fairly sure you could do that before). You also get the old favourite Master League mode in this version.

Like 2008 was, I'm sure it's still a good game but, for me, that doesn't sound like enough to warrant buying it if you already own last years version.

That is my worry too to be honest. Sounds like the same Konami trick of releasing the same game with some minor tweaks at the most and putting the current year into the title.

To be fair PES 2008 on Wii is brilliant for attacking football but suffers a non-involved defensive system.

I still love PES 6 on PS2, play it regularly.

Something I wonder is:
because Konami decided to change the recipe we all expected something amazing, which it aint. It's ok-good. Problem is we know the defensive play has to change but to what extent?

Reckon a move back to the old PS2 style defending would be good. Trouble is there's no where near enough coverage showing how the defensive system plays on the new one. (Hopefully someone can humiliate me now and show me a link as i want to see it in detailed action).

I'm remotely optimistic, but optimistic none the less. Any movement in the right direction is good for me. Let's remember the humble beginnings of International Superstar Soccer on the SNES.

If we're lucky maybe this is one of those games that we can see grow as the series' progress.

By the way, I love ISS and PES. :D

Last edited:
Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Traded in my 2008 edition and picked up the 2009 version on Friday and have to say I'm not disappointed.

IMHO, the only element that was lacking in the 2008 incarnation was what felt like an almost random approach to defending. This time round the tweaks made to defending is a marked improvement. Now if you concede a goal, the chances are it was your fault and not the wonky AI.

The precision shot pointer aspect is also a new addition too, but haven't really used that yet.

One cool feature that was touched upon in a review I read was the ability to update a team, via wi-fi, to reflect their actual real life personnel.

Playing as Liverpool against Arsenal in a friendly (2-0 to the 'Pool btw:)), my Liverpool starting 11 had Robbie Keane (5* compared to a 4* Torres. Props to Keane's agent!). Eager to have the same resources as Rafa and to see whether his two holding MF and a lone striker is a true stoke of tactical genius, I elected to update the game via wi-fi. The result? Keane back down at White Hart Lane without a whiff of a goodbye. Purely cosmetic but a pretty cool feature nonetheless. The only thing left to do now is to work out how to fit this and GTA: Chinatown Wars into my life without annoying the missus.

Traded in my 2008 edition and picked up the 2009 version on Friday and have to say I'm not disappointed.

IMHO, the only element that was lacking in the 2008 incarnation was what felt like an almost random approach to defending. This time round the tweaks made to defending is a marked improvement. Now if you concede a goal, the chances are it was your fault and not the wonky AI.

One cool feature that was touched upon in a review I read was the ability to update a team, via wi-fi, to reflect their actual real life personnel.

I've held back a little but think a trip to gamestation may be in order tomorrow with a couple of games for trade in. My concern was if the defence had been improved enough but your comments are tempting me.

Can someone please tell me about the online play for this game.
It is a important factor for me.

I was previously a fifa player but due to the awful online activity with fifa, I traded it for another game.

Hi mate, I too got rid my Fifa because of the awful online mode (actually blaged ÂŁ15 on ebay for it !! bonus :thumbsup:) My mini review for this game is it is a deffo marked improvement on last years. Already been mentioned, but the subtle changes to the defensive system really do make it a different game. Addition of Master League and Champions League modes are excellent. Control system feels so natural to me (I use nunchuck and wiimote). Graphics aren't spectacular, but adequate (it was never going to take on PS3/Xbox) ... Now online... my opinion .... it's ok !! Takes longer than Fifa to get a match (unless you set it to find anyone regardless of connection issues, not recommended!!), but that might be to do with the game just coming out and lack of people who have bought it so far ??? Plus once you've built up a group of mates it's easy to send a challenge request for instant play. The games I've played have been fine, occasional lag but nothing that spoils it too much. Sure Fifa has the all singing all dancing online menu system, but the games disconnecting were a real issue for me. PES online is basic, but functional. You can add peeps you've played as rivals, so they show when they are online (a bit like friends), friend codes are there too, plus when you join an opponent to play you get quite an in depth graph of how you and your opponent like to play (dribbling, fouling, passing, shooting etc etc) A nice touch imo !! The game scored 93% in ONM, my opinion 90% would be right ! A definate marked improvement for me. PES once again wins the gameplay cup back from FIFA! Hope this helps .. Cheers !:hiya:

That helpe loads mickeymoo - cheers.

Just need to find some ÂŁ now. I don't fancy using my ÂŁ10 voucher and trade-ins as I'm trying to save that for Guitar Hero Metallica.

Being out of work bloody sucks!

my Liverpool starting 11 had Robbie Keane (5* compared to a 4* Torres. Props to Keane's agent!).

Sad man that I am, my first 2 actions after buying the game were to download the current squads and edit my beloved liverpool! (I mean come on Torres a 4*, he's the best striker on the planet. And Reina was only 3 * and he's one of the top 3 keepers in the premier league!)

Interestingly editing the player does affect their * value. Reina and Torres are both now 5* on my game! At least this means you can't cheat the Champions Road by making all low star players incredibly good!

My view onthe game:

Definitely an improvement over what was an excellent game last year. The additions of the editor, Champs League and Master League give the game much greater longevity.

On the pitch it feels a bit faster and the defending is much less random now, with better AI and tackling. Precision shooting is also a great addition, but it does depend on how good the player is. Place it with Gerrard and it goes where it should, place it with a default Champions Road player and it'll probably go over the bar!!

Overall a great game and probably the best football game I have ever played!

Last edited:
Are the main improvements though the addition of ML, CL game types rather than Konami fixing the rubbish defending from last year's version? This is why I can't make my mind up whether to just stick with the 2008 version I have got or whether it is worth going for the new 2009 version. If it is just mainly to get master league then I can't be bothered paying ÂŁ30 for the privilege

Picked this up on Sat, havent had a chance to play yet but thought I'd post my amazement and fury that a certain retailer who shall remain nameless (rhymes with fame, lame & same) had the cheek to offer me ÂŁ3 part ex for 2008 PES. :eek: I wasnt expecting much but that is taking the **** :mad:

Last edited:
Game only offered me ÂŁ5 so know how you feel.....Asda are selling it for ÂŁ28 new so prob best going there. I haven't bought it yet and still not convinced that it is different enough to warrant a purchase tbh

Could I ask some advice guys?

The most recent footie game I've ever played is Fifa 98 on the N64 so I know nothing about these games these days. Got a wii (for my kids, honestly) and want to get a footie game which is as playable as I remember it on the N64 when we had mates round for a FIFA world cup evening. Should I go for PES 09 or FIFA 09? I know that FIFA has this total amateur thing which might be good and I've read that the PES2009 controls are really tricky to get to grips with, but seems to beat FIFA on all the reviews. What should an amateur with kids go for? Cheers for any advice!:)

Depends on the age of the kids and how much time you spend playing really. PES controls are quite complex in that you have to focus on alot of things at once and control different aspects with the nunchuck and controller. Fifa (albeit I havent played the Wii version) is much more pick up and play friendly.

Last edited:
The PES controls on the Wii are a bit tricky to get to grips with, especially if you are used to using a gamepad. However, I'm 99% certain that PES 2009 also supports using the classic controller for a more traditional control style. For that reason if you already have classic or two then I'd get PES 2009 for the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Just had a quick re-read of the Eurogamer review to confirm, apparently you can use a classic controller or you can even just use the d-pad and buttons on the wiimote itself!

Last edited:
Kids are 7, 4 and two weeks:) My son is the one who picks up all the stuff really quickly, he was used to playing daddy's old N64. I think he'll be the one who uses it most and I'll use it mainly when mates come round. Would they find it difficult to get used to controls if just playing it on the odd evening here and there do you think? I'm getting the impression that it's a better game for a serious gamer who spends ages playing it?

Edit: Shed, just read your reply: That's thrown things a bit again! If we can use the wiimote like a gamepad, maybe PES will be more accesible to the casual users?

Something tells me i'm thinking about this too much!

Last edited:
EDIT: Just had a quick re-read of the Eurogamer review to confirm, apparently you can use a classic controller or you can even just use the d-pad and buttons on the wiimote itself!

Good point. Go for PES on that basis. Two games for the price of one almost!

Besides if you havent played a footy game since N64 days you'll love either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom