Worms: A Space Oddity discussion thread & opinion poll.

How do you rate Worms: A Space Oddity? (please vote only after playing)

• 10 (Genre defining)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 (Outstanding)

• 8 (Excellent)

• 7 (Good)

• 6 (Above average)

• 4 (Below average)

• 2 (Very poor)

• 1 (Appalling)

• Total voters

Chunder

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only person who's got this (a belated birthday present) - what's the general opinion?

I'm of two minds; it's Worms, it's chaotic fun, it looks pretty good.

On the other hand, the menus are hard to navigate (which flashing things are buttons?), zooming/scrolling around the landscape is a nightmare, throwing grenades is OK alhtough setting the power is tricky and inconsistent - but throwing a bazooka shell?? Weird. Also, the weapons have all been turned into high-tech versions - their names aren't the familiar recognisable versions, and the icons aren't particularly clear.

Oh yeah, tunneling requires you to do a digging motion with the wiimote, and the "dynamite" equivalent doesn't explode automatically - you have to move the wiimote as if depressing a plunger... but if you don't do it hard enough, the explosion isn't very big.

This all sounds really negative, but I don't think that it's quite as bad as it may sound... need to play some more!

When Team 17 announced that they'd pulled the plug on WiFi play a shed load of people, myself included decided not to purchase the game.

Yeah, I had it on my wish-list, and placed a pre-order; then when I read the stuff about the dropped wifi I cancelled the pre-order... but didn't realise it was still on the wishlist - and lo! I get it as a present! :)

I'm not too disappointed, although personally I'd have waited until it was a lot less than £30 before buying...

For me Worms is all about multi-player gaming and to remove the Wi-Fi part of the game is taking at least 50% of that enjoyment away.

I decided not to purchase solely because of the Wi-Fi removal, are you listening Team17.

Even Worms on my Dreamcast had on line play. :rolleyes:

For me Worms is all about multi-player gaming and to remove the Wi-Fi part of the game is taking at least 50% of that enjoyment away.

I decided not to purchase solely because of the Wi-Fi removal

Likewise, it was looking like a pretty interesting version and was right up there on my "must buy" list until the announcement of no WiFi, crazy decision to drop the online play on a Worms game, must have lost alot of sales on that mistake surely?

Exactly the same sentiments here.
Message to Team 17 - "No WiFi? No buy buy! Bye bye!" :mad:

2D worms still rules:smashin:

Oh yes :)

A couple of other narks that I've found with Worms: Space Oddity :-

1) When you create your own team, the team name is always the name of the first worm; this is different tothe computer teams, which have a team name and four (different) worm names.

2) The "Astro Punch" is a combination of the fire punch and the prod; hold B and then mimic an upper-cut or a punch... sounds logical, but it's very easy to inadvertantly prod instead of punching.

3) I mentioned in the first post that setting the power is "tricky and inconsistent" - I've got the hang of it now; you hold B and raise the Wiimote - and get full power when it's pointing over your shoulder (as if you're holding a bazooka). A bit strange, but manageable.

4) Jumping is with the A button; it's *very* easy to jump immediately following a weapon selection - which has caused me to suicide into the water on numerous occasions.

5) Sometimes (one of the stages on Tentaclia, for example) you don't have any weapons available; if you enter the weapon menu then there doesn't appear to be any way out, and nothing to select. It took a while to realise that you have to press "-" again... doh.

6) The Airstrike is now a UFO attack; you select the target, and it appears and zaps them. Unfortunately, you have to hold the Wiimote upright and shake it up and down in order to activate the shooting... picture the scene... :)

7) The homing missile is now a guided rocket, and seems to be a cross between the homing missile and the homing pigeon; you don't select a target - but when you hold B the missile will fly towards your target reticule; you have to steer the rocket around to the target. It makes sense eventually, but the first few times I used it I kept blowing myself up :)

So, still quite a few negative things that I don't like, but on the whole it's getting better as I understand what the heck I'm supposed to be doing, and how it's now different to "real" Worms :)

It's been out a week, so it should receive an opinion poll :).

BTW: If you give this game a low score, can you please at least justify it with a sensible comment in this thread? - it is a public poll so EVERYONE can see who posted what. Thank you :thumbsup:

It's been out a week, so it should receive an opinion poll :).

BTW: If you give this game a low score, can you please at least justify it with a sensible comment in this thread? - it is a public poll so EVERYONE can see who posted what. Thank you :thumbsup:

Well I've given it 3 - Bad - my reasons are fully justified, Team 17 removed the WiFi play, game ruined in my opinion.

Well I've given it 3 - Bad - my reasons are fully justified, Team 17 removed the WiFi play, game ruined in my opinion.

I was pretty gutted by removal of online play also, but the idea of these polls is to vote your opinion of the game after giving it a fair playtest, hence the reason I will not be voting as I've no intention of buying an offline only Worms.

Yep, so long as it's a sensible reason, that's fine :smashin:. Like Tetlee, the lack of WiFi is the reason I won't be buying this game either :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom