Can I transfer the recorded shows from the V+ box to my computer's hard disk?

Skylined

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi to all. I'm going to order a V+ Box tomorrow and I prefer to ask this question here because Virgin Media's customer services is really chaotic and most of the staff not properly trained. Anyway…

I was wondering if it's possible to transfer the recordings stored inside V+ box's hard disk to my computer's hard disk. Can this be done through the USB or e-SATA ports (I'd prefer the second one cause it's faster)?

Thank you :hiya:

I believe that the usb and sata ports on the back of the V+ box are disabled.:thumbsdow

The only way I think you can output a signal is by choosing the backup option via scart.

Hi to all. I'm going to order a V+ Box tomorrow and I prefer to ask this question here because Virgin Media’s customer services is really chaotic and most of the staff not properly trained. Anyway…

I was wondering if it’s possible to transfer the recordings stored inside V+ box’s hard disk to my computer’s hard disk. Can this be done through the USB or e-SATA ports (I’d prefer the second one cause it’s faster)?

Thank you :hiya:

I do what you say but I transfer to DVD first via the copy option and then recode to my p.c. Takes ages.

I believe that the usb and sata ports on the back of the V+ box are disabled.:thumbsdow
Is there a reason behind this? :mad:

The only way I think you can output a signal is by choosing the backup option via scart.
Don't know how that works but I guess it involves a capture card which is not really what I had in mind.

I do what you say but I transfer to DVD first via the copy option and then recode to my p.c. Takes ages.
Could you get into more detail?? Does this require a DVD recorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom73

Don't know how that works but I guess it involves a capture card which is not really what I had in mind.

Yes laptop requires a video card and software to use backup option on the V+ box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t11rmh

Yes this requires a DVD recorder and Instructions of how to record onto DVD can be found here - Post #9.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703607

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Will

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks Willy, it certainly does. Now I'm furious (once again) with Virgin Media for having disabled the eSata and USB ports. :mad: But that's enough fury for today so I'm going to hit the bed. Nighty night :hiya:

Thanks Willy, it certainly does. Now I'm furious (once again) with Virgin Media for having disabled the eSata and USB ports. :mad: But that's enough fury for today so I'm going to hit the bed. Nighty night :hiya:

I suspect if Virgin made it that easy to transfer programming from the V+ box to a PC we might just see a dip in companies allowing them to air their shows.

Is there a reason behind this? :mad:

It does require a DVD recorder connected to the second scart on the V+ Box. There is an option to copy programs in TV Drive menu. Once copied the DVD needs to be finalised so that other DVD machines can read it. Then I put the said DVD in my computer and use the recode functionality of Nero 8 to transfer what I recorded to hard disk.

You could always get an Archos Personal Video Player (and Dock) and connect to the 'Archival' scart socket on your V+ and copy that way. The archos will make .AVI files on the fly which cuts out the transcoding step - they can be quiet big though - You also get the added bonus of being able to watch any .AVI files you have copied to the Archos, on your TV - no PC required! I've got an Archos 604 with docking station (inc remote control!) and am well pleased with it.

This thread seems the best place to ask this question rather than starting a new thread.

My V+ box randomly decided a few days ago that my recording of Raiders Of The Lost Ark from BBC HD had failed and as such now refuses to play it. I find this quite odd since I had viewed twice since recording and it played fine.

I called VM support to hopefully get a quick solution but apparently the section of the HDD that holds Raiders has corrupted and the whole disc now needs to reformatted.

My problem is that I want to keep my recording of Last Crusade (also from BBC HD) and the Virgin tech support guy said that if i wanted to keep them in HD resolution then I would need either a HD-DVD or a blu-ray burner or a HD capture card on my PC. Both those ideas seem like they would work fine but are potentially way too expensive.

Is there a cheap (and preferably simple) way of backing up HD recordings from V+?

Pardon my naiviety, but can you back up programmes to video via the scart?
also known as recording onto video I believe! lol

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom