Optics3D Prescription 3D Glasses - First Opinions

Filklore

Standard Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my passive 3D TV, I wasn't sure how much use I would get out of the 3D side of things. But the TV was cheap, and the 2D picture was good, so I went for it.

As it happens, I have become quite fond of things 3D, to the extent of even buying a 3D camera. But as someone who wears glasses, I began to find wearing the 3D glasses over the top of my specs tiresome. So I ordered a cheap pair of clipons.

These have served me quite well for a year or so, but when I saw that the price of prescription 3D glasses had come down, I thought I had to get a pair. So a few weeks ago, I ordered some RealD compatible glasses from Optics3D.

They arrived today, and I am impressed. The frames have good quality (i.e. plastic, not film) RealD lens in them, and the prescription lens are mounted behind them. Which means should your prescription change, you only need to replace the insert.

It took a few minutes to get used to them on my nose - my habit is to push glasses right back onto my face, but the inserts being that bit closer to my eyes, meant my long girlie lashes got in the way. However, once I found a comfortable position, they were fine.

The first thing I noticed was that these seemed to let more light in than the cheap specs. I had always considered the "tint" of RealD specs to be entirely due to the polarisation, but these glasses definitely felt less like I was wearing sunglasses indoors. This is good, as trips to the kitchen and loo no longer require a change of glasses!

On viewing 3D on my TV, the picture did seem marginally brighter, and very clear, as you would expect when not viewed through easily scratched polarised film. I bought this glasses mostly for comfort, but the difference in clarity is quite marked.

Of course, these glasses will also be good for the local cinema, as well as my passive 3D TV, and they don't look particularly outlandish. In fact, I would probably wear them to the cinema, rather than juggling two pairs of specs in the stalls.

I plumped for Optics3D's cheapest option, which cost 50 quid. Which is not trivial, I know, but I feel I've come away with a bit of a bargain.

rxmono3drealdfrontwithsmall-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
Note also that Optics3D sell the same glasses - either with or without prescription lenses - in "Real2D" mode - i.e. the same orientation lens in both eyes. So for those of you who don't like 3D, but sometimes are forced to sit through it, there is a solution for you too!

The first thing I noticed was that these seemed to let more light in than the cheap specs. I had always considered the "tint" of RealD specs to be entirely due to the polarisation, but these glasses definitely felt less like I was wearing sunglasses indoors. This is good, as trips to the kitchen and loo no longer require a change of glasses!
I'd be careful of this as a lighter "tint" in my experience relates to weaker polarization.

It actually took me ages before I realized my favourite 'bright' goggles also produced the worst cross-talk score (the difference wasn't huge but is very easily seen when tested)

I'd be careful of this as a lighter "tint" in my experience relates to weaker polarization
Noted.

When I have some time, I will take the prescription lens out and actually do a compare of the polarised lens with a cheap Real3D pair, against a plain background, without my glasses/lens being a factor.

I also have a number of 3D Blu-Rays on the shelf, waiting to be watched. So after I have had these for a few weeks, and have watched some content under normal relaxed circumstances, I'll post further.

The test in this thread will immediately show any difference

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-technology-smart-tv-3d-ultra-hd-4k/1359992-how-much-crosstalk-ghosting-has-your-3d-tv-test.html

Strange as it may seem, I actually prefer using my 'high cross-talk' goggles for 2D->3D conversion as they seem to make viewing a bit more relaxed. However, for good 3D material, the normal (darker) LG glasses definitely enhance the 3D (most noticeable on smoke blowing out of the TV affects and such like) even if it did take several months for me to discover this :facepalm:

Yours may be fine though :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom