BBC To Remake Day Of The Triffids

Booo,bring back Howard Keel.:D

:mad:

Freaking triffids scared the bejeesus outta me when I was a little kid. I remember thinking that Dr Who was funny at the time whereas triffids were real and nasty and would get me one day.

A remake will suck.

:mad:

Freaking triffids scared the bejeesus outta me when I was a little kid. I remember thinking that Dr Who was funny at the time whereas triffids were real and nasty and would get me one day.

A remake will suck.

I suspect you'd find either version a bit like Dr Who if you saw them now.

All the best
Bri

Hi

Me too. First time I watched this series in the 80's I was a bit scarred as well. Especially that strange noise spooky noise that the Triffids used to make.

If the BBC do remake, I hope it will be as good or even better than the original.

Great series though.

:thumbsup:

Remake more like an update

Hopefully the SFX will be better and they will be more mobile

Wonder if they will be able to climb stairs :D

It's a bit similar to Survivors though. Except most people are blind and there's 15 foot killer plants scuttling around. :cool:

Funny, but every time I make a post on here it happens a week later... I posted that a remake would be good last week. Not a BBC remake though, but a film. Now where are my Black Bar overlays?

Just carry a super squirter when you go outside.

No problem with those pesky plants.

Considering the Triffids emerged from behind the Iron Curtain (after being bred in bulk) and the blindness was caused by all the chemical warheads that the superpowers had placed in orbit - it will be interesting to see how they update this for the 21st Century.

That said if they set it in the near future there will probably be another Cold War with Russia the way things are going :eek:

That's a very promising cast. some big hitters there

Here's the Feb 09 press release from the Beeb ...
BBC - Press Office - The Day Of The Triffids attracts all-star cast to BBC One:

The Day Of The Triffids attracts all-star cast to BBC One
Date: 11.02.2009

Dougray Scott, Joely Richardson, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, Eddie Izzard and Jason Priestley star in The Day Of The Triffids, written by Patrick Harbinson (ER, Law & Order).

This epic, apocalyptic and futuristic two-part drama is a co-production between Power and Canadian producer Prodigy Pictures for BBC One.

Currently in production for transmission later this year, this exciting, fast-paced drama is based on John Wyndham's best-selling post-apocalyptic novel, The Day Of The Triffids, published in 1951.

In the not too distant future, man's search for an alternative fuel supply leads him to uncover the ominous Triffid, a crop now cultivated for its fuel that seems to have a life of its own.

But when spectators gather worldwide for a much anticipated solar storm, billions are left blinded and the few sighted survivors watch as society collapses into chaos.

The Triffids, meanwhile, find their way out of captivity. Free to roam the planet with a fatal sting, and a retributive taste for human flesh, the Triffids begin rapid breeding.

Now Dr Bill Masen (Dougray Scott) must lead the brave in their epic battle against the Triffids' reign of terror in what could be the last days of mankind.

Justin Bodle, Executive Producer, Power says: "We are enormously excited to have secured this stellar cast for The Day Of The Triffids. Together with its amazing effects and iconic locations, it will deliver the drama mini-series event of 2009."

Julie Gardner, Head of Drama, BBC Wales, adds: "The incredible cast lined-up for The Day Of The Triffids is testament to the quality of Patrick Harbinson's script. We hope audiences, both old and new, will be captivated by this modern take of John Wyndham's classic best-selling novel."

The confirmed cast list includes: Dougray Scott as Bill Masen; Joely Richardson as Jo Playton; Brian Cox as Dennis Masen; Vanessa Redgrave as Durrant; Eddie Izzard as Torrence and Jason Priestley as Coker.

Filming in the South-East of England until April for transmission later this year, The Day Of The Triffids is a Power production for BBC One.

The Executive Producer is Justin Bodle (Power); Stephen Smallwood is the producer (Murphy's Law) and the director is Nick Copus (The Summit, EastEnders).

Further Executive Producers are Jay Firestone (Prodigy Pictures) and Julie Gardner (BBC).

The Day Of The Triffids is part of the broad mix of dramas commissioned for BBC One for transmission in 2009 which includes Occupation, Small Island, Emma and Sherlock.

The Day Of The Triffids is also being shown on BBC HD – the BBC's High Definition channel available through Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media. With up to five times more detail than standard definition television, HD gives you exceptionally vivid colours and crisp pictures to make The Day Of The Triffids a truly cinematic TV experience.

Notes to Editors

The Day of The Triffids was adapted by BBC Radio in 1953, 1957 and 1968.

A BBC Television production followed in 1981, starring John Duttine as Bill Masen; repeated on BBC Four in 2006/7.

In 2001 writer Lance Dann adapted the series in two hour-long episodes for the BBC World Service.
IMDB ("The Day of the Triffids" (2009)) have a "Release Date" of 30 August 2009 (UK)

Last edited:
The original has been on BBC4 the last coulpe of days, actually a pretty good show.:smashin:

Would've mentioned it sooner but my hard drive failed last week. Damn annoying.

Danny Boyle has said that he was inspired by the BBC Triffids whilst making 28 Days Later & you can certainly see where.

Enjoyed episodes 3+4 :)

I missed a bit, why was he in handcuffs and also why did the blind man who was cuffed to him have the key in his pocket?

Enjoyed episodes 3+4 :)

I missed a bit, why was he in handcuffs and also why did the blind man who was cuffed to him have the key in his pocket?

He was running down some stairs and some peeps laid some traps. He fell over one of them and they took him hostage (ish).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom