Galaxy Tab 7.7 users/opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

psikey

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Took a bit of a gamble and just ordered a Galaxy Tab 7.7 16GB 3G from Panamoz.com (Hong Kong) due to loads of good online user reviews, much lower price than main UK sellers and also having own 1 year warranty.

Recently had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 which I really liked but found it too big for my needs so sold that recently and using a Galaxy Tab 7 again until the 7.7 got released.

UK sellers are saying availablity of the WiFi only version within a week or so but at silly prices.

Ever since I saw the specs/style of the 7.7 I wanted it so as soon as I saw someone finally stating they had stock of the 3G version I went for it.

Already showing as despatched and have my UPS tracking code so hopefully in next 2-3 business days will be able to give feedback and get the Galaxy Tab 7 sold on :)

Also have the Samsung Book-case case coming from Amazon for it. Already have a 32GB class10 microSD to use in it.

Having used full size & smaller tablet type devices I personally think the 7-8" screen format is the sweet spot especially with a 1280x800 or higher display.

Details here if anyone interested: Panamoz Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 16GB Wifi/3G+Wifi Android Tablet (Silver) Electronics

Obviously can't recommend them yet until mine has arrived.

Last edited:
:eek:

Only ordered yesterday and UPS showing as delivery Monday!

Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 09/01/2012, By End of Day

Tracking:
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong
07/01/2012 18:28 Export Scan
07/01/2012 18:28 Origin Scan
Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong
07/01/2012 16:38 Collection Scan
Hong Kong
06/01/2012 6:02 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

:smashin: The excitment is growing :)

See the site has posted actual photos now and its showing UK plug.

Last edited:
I eagerly await your update re: the Panamoz delivery and feedback on the Galaxy Tab 7.7!! :)

I've been waiting to buy this device since November when it was first rumored to be released soon in Australia. Now that a few online retailers have started offering it I'm just waiting on confirmation of delivery from someone like you who's taken the plunge with a retailer like this.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Seems very expensive - I got a 7" HTC Evo View 4G 32GB from the US for £150 (US Sprint version of the HTC Flyer) - I can't use the 4G but as a Wifi device it is very good.

brookheather said:
Seems very expensive - I got a 7" HTC Evo View 4G 32GB from the US for £150 (US Sprint version of the HTC Flyer) - I can't use the 4G but as a Wifi device it is very good.

The best stuff usually is when newly released. The 1280x800 SAMOLED+ screen is likely to be one reason for higher price than many 7" devices.

The EVO looks a good spec, especially for the price you got it. But its weaker spec in everything really and style of Flyer not for me.

If you think thats expensive, UK sellers are wanting over £500 for the wifi only!

Last edited:
@psikey - I've ordered one from Panamoz too, a couple of days ago but it is still 'processing'... maybe because i've gone for the wifi only version (being a cheapskate), would have thought it would be the other way round.... anyway I would like to hear how you get on with yours, best of luck with it .. i tried the acer a100 for a while, the screen is okay-ish but after getting used to the outstanding quality of super amoled on the sgs2 the 7.7 is the only way to go

@brookheather - that's an amazing price you found! I've been put off from buying from the states after being stung by uk customs, did you just get lucky or do you know something i dont?

Posted these Hands On vids in another post on elsewhere, but since there now a dedicated thread for the 7.7 thought I copy them across here in case they are of interest.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 – The Best 7 Inch Android Tablet | Ritchies Room

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 vs. iPad 2 | Ritchies Room

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is a Great eBook Reader | Ritchies Room

Multitasking With the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 | Ritchies Room

Video Editing with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 | Ritchies Room

Tethering with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 | Ritchies Room

Was thinking of going with the Asus Transformer Prime but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be better served by a smaller tablet for media duties and one of the new Ultrabooks for anything else, so this is very much on my radar now. Look forward to hearing what your thoughts are psikey.

Personally I don't need built in 3g as I can tether to my phone, however I do want a large internal drive so hoping the UK gets the 64GB version.

Personally I don't need built in 3g as I can tether to my phone, however I do want a large internal drive so hoping the UK gets the 64GB version.

I also tether to my 64GB iPhone 4S with unlimitted data on 3 (for media/spotify) but still also have my work Vodafone dongle SIM in my existing Galaxy Tab as its still the best for Push mail & the other "connected" updates rather than switching on my iPhone HotSpot feature all the time (using more battery).

I had a Wifi only GT10.1 and missed built-in 3G. I also found the 10.1 too big as an ebook reader and I browse web in bed before I got to sleep a lot (mostly AVForums/BBC news for those who have vivid imaginations!), and found size awkward compared to using an original Galaxy Tab 7".

The premium in UK for 3G over WiFi is usually £100 and with Panamoz only £76 so an even greater saving.

Last edited:
@brookheather - that's an amazing price you found! I've been put off from buying from the states after being stung by uk customs, did you just get lucky or do you know something i dont?
Family brought it over at Christmas - paid $230.

Its still progressing :smashin:

Now in: Dubai, United Arab Emirates 08/01/2012 9:34 Arrival Scan

Fantastic progress from the other side of the world. What was the final price for the model you ordered including the postage?

£446.99 but that includes a £3 screen protector. Cheaper than anyone is listing even the wifi only version in most places!

Last edited:
Well its good news :smashin:

Arrived about an hour ago. Walked into a crysis at work so not had chance to play with it yet but have set it up and put my 32GB microSD and Vodafone SIM in it all working perfectly.

This thing really is gorgeous. The screen is amazing and the actual size/weight/style oozes quality just like the iPad build. Amazing what a bit of metal casing does over plastic.

Blows all other 7-8" devices out of the water IMO by a mile.

Few photos to wet your appetite:

2373593180072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2591492870072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2338553400072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2144465940072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

Screen protector was not in stock so their refunding me that. Will post up some better photos tonight.

Last edited:
How did you manage to order it from Hong Kong on Friday and get it on Monday?

Can you let me know how well it preserves battery when idle - how much does the battery lose overnight for example. One of the complaints I have about the HTC Flyer is it loses about 25% overnight if it is switched on - this is with power saver options enabled (i.e. no wifi when screen is off). I have yet to see an Android tablet come close to the iPad2 which loses a couple of percent overnight.

Can you let me know how well it preserves battery when idle - how much does the battery lose overnight for example. One of the complaints I have about the HTC Flyer is it loses about 25% overnight if it is switched on - this is with power saver options enabled (i.e. no wifi when screen is off). I have yet to see an Android tablet come close to the iPad2 which loses a couple of percent overnight.

Will do. I usually leave my existing Galaxy Tab 7 in flight mode overnight & don't notice a dramitic dip.

Actual specs are:

Built-in 5,100mAh battery
Stand-by : Up to 1500 hours(2G) / 1200 hours(3G)Voice : Up to 49 hours(2G) / 27 hours(3G) /
6 hours(VT call)
Video : Up to 10 hours
Music : Up to 50 hours

How did you manage to order it from Hong Kong on Friday and get it on Monday?

By bloody amazing delivery service!

Sheffield, United Kingdom 09/01/2012 8:42 Delivered
09/01/2012 3:57 Out for Delivery
09/01/2012 3:55 Arrival Scan
Castle Donnington, United Kingdom 09/01/2012 3:50 Departure Scan
09/01/2012 3:50 Departure Scan
09/01/2012 1:51 Arrival Scan
Koeln, Germany 09/01/2012 1:33 Departure Scan
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 08/01/2012 12:34 Departure Scan
08/01/2012 9:34 Arrival Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 08/01/2012 4:45 Departure Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 07/01/2012 18:28 Export Scan
07/01/2012 18:28 Origin Scan
Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong 07/01/2012 16:38 Collection Scan
Hong Kong 06/01/2012 6:02 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Few more photos, not best, as taken with my iP4S and not ideal lighting:

Still has rear plastic protector in place
2288090720072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2681800310072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

2615523500072427310S600x600Q85.jpg

My first OLED device so amazed at how truly Black to blacks are. Text on BBC News site easily readable even in portrate mode without zooming. Can't see pixels from normal viewing distance but close up you can. My iP4S is still the DPI master but you won't be dissapointed with the DPI on the GT7.7.

Last edited:
The 7.7 was definitely on my shortlist but I have several concerns. I'm worried that 7.7 inch display will still be too small for me. Ordering from Hong Kong is too much of a risk without seeing one first hand. I think I'm still leaning towards the 8.9 on screen size. It's tough because I prefer the built in SD slot of the 7.7 rather than the SD adaptor of the 8.9. Something is just niggling away at me though that I'll regret getting a screen only .7 inch larger than the 7 inch.

My other concern is battery life. Surely this new super screen uses more power and yet only has a slightly bigger battery then the 7+ and smaller battery than the 8.9.

The 7.7 was definitely on my shortlist but I have several concerns. I'm worried that 7.7 inch display will still be too small for me. Ordering from Hong Kong is too much of a risk without seeing one first hand. I think I'm still leaning towards the 8.9 on screen size. It's tough because I prefer the built in SD slot of the 7.7 rather than the SD adaptor of the 8.9. Something is just niggling away at me though that I'll regret getting a screen only .7 inch larger than the 7 inch.

My other concern is battery life. Surely this new super screen uses more power and yet only has a slightly bigger battery then the 7+ and smaller battery than the 8.9.

If you read the Wiki about OLED screens it states that the Super AMOLED+ uses 18% less power than previous generations. With OLED screens show black, pixels are effectively off using no power as no backlight.
The 7.7 is perfect for me, honestly can't find a fault with it in the short time I've played with it. If you think the 7" is too small then going to 7.7" isn't that much of an increase so the 8.9" could be the one for you.

Last edited:
Yes I think the 8.9 is my ideal tablet or at least it would be if it had a built in SD slot. It's only due to the 8.9 not having one built in that I'm considering the 7.7. In general, the Super AMOLED+ screen doesn't interest me but I do wonder if it is a better screen for reading. I currently have a Kindle and e-Ink is great for reading as there is zero strain on the eyes. Staring at a LCD screen instead is a concern. If Super AMOLED+ switched pixels off to display black then I assume the device emits less light and therefore less eye strain. Maybe?

Also, someone sitting by me at work reckons to get stuff from Hong Kong in one working day would cost about £50. How are Panamoz doing this for £9.99?

Sorry I'm still dubious even though you have yours. I see Freak still hasn't been back here to say theirs has shipped. Maybe I am overly wary/cyincal of companies like this but I work hard for my money lol :D

Edit: Sorry double posting. I meant to hit edit not reply.

In general, the Super AMOLED+ screen doesn't interest me but I do wonder if it is a better screen for reading. I currently have a Kindle and e-Ink is great for reading as there is zero strain on the eyes. Staring at a LCD screen instead is a concern. If Super AMOLED+ switched pixels off to display black then I assume the device emits less light and therefore less eye strain. Maybe?

I use a Kindle Keyboard 3G when outside or in good light. I even have the official case with light but its still better on the Tab when reading in bed in the dark.

The AMOLED is even better because it has no backlight with only the text pixels being powered so having a light grey text on the pure black background is great on the eyes. On normal LCD even on the lowest setting the backlight makes the black look grey in a dark room.

Also, someone sitting by me at work reckons to get stuff from Hong Kong in one working day would cost about £50. How are Panamoz doing this for £9.99.

Maybe the Chinese class Sat/Sun as working days! Must admit I'm amazed it arrived today as I was expecting it Wednesday, not complaining :)

Last edited:
Just wondering what the different coloured bits top & bottom are, you say they are metal :confused: I had assumed from pictures online they would be plastic RF windows for the 3G, Wifi, & GPS antennas :confused: As far as you can tell do they serve any use, or just appear to be a design feature? intrigued now as to the reason for them if not for RF signal reasons.

Since it is a all metal back, could you test Wifi & GPS (GPS Test is a good app for this if you don't have it) and compare to your original Tab? as one of the things putting me off the Transformer Prime is that the all metal back seems to hamper the RF performance of Wifi & GPS.

Could you also check readability of 7.7 outside if you happen to get a bright day, wondering if the Super AMOLED+ might be an improvement for this over the other LCD based Tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom