HKTS 11 Subwoofer Problem

...Aaaw! That is such a bummer! I was considering this speaker system and the sub was the MOST appealing thing about it. If the problem is fixed by HK maybe i will get it anyway... If not i will have to keep looking :(

Hope it works out for the rest of you. I know how frustrating this **** is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right just recieved my new Sub, thought they were going to repair the sensor on my old one but got a brand spanking new one.

Fingers crossed this one won't have the same issue!!

well my fears have been realised! My new sub has stopped working in exactly the same way as the first within a day of getting it!!!

I have written to HK asking them to advise as if I send back to who I bought it from they'll just send me a new on again which will likely fail again.

Aaaargh, such a shame it looks and sounds beautiful when it works. But when it doesn't it's soo frustrating!

Last edited:
Unlucky for you man! I think you are pretty tolerant because i would have returned it now..

I got the system anyway. I got a demo in a store with HKTS11 + Onkyo 607 and i was sold :D

I figure that this is one of the most popular system out there and that the odds are low that this problem should happen to more than just a few unlucky souls.

Are you using the regular sub-in with the rca cable? maybe there is something wrong with that and that it might somehow overload the input and thus damaging certain components etc? Im guessing here...

Anyway good luck

Yep using my regular sub out which I have tested with a friends sub and it's working fine. Which is more than can be said for the sub which displayed the same problem even when not plugged in.

My old one before dying would still turn on when you set this switch to "always on" The new one does this seemingly when it feels like it.

Don't know if it's just a bad batch with the company I bought it from but I've left with them to decide what to do.

I have asked for Sub to either be serviced and returned or to have a refund if this isn't possible.

I then have to go through all the hassle of sourcing a new system. The HKTS ticked all the boxes for me in terms of looks and sound, might go with the KEFs even though I don't like the wall bracked for the front speakers as much, sound is of course top priority to me, but she who must be obeyed wants something sympathetic to the decor as well.

Q Acoustics are too big and Matt black
Kef Eggs right colour but sit too proud and angle down

Leaving me with the HKTS which was just right apart from it doesn't work at the moment.

Waiting to hear back to see what the solution is, also re contacting HK does anyone know how to get in touch with the UK branch as I would like to speak to them direct about the problem but my requests to the service centre via the website have fallen on deaf ears thus far.

Hi All - My first post on this forum !

I'm setting up my first home cinema system, and I have been looking around at speakers.

I liked the look of the Bose cubes, but the system they come with needs all the speakers wiring back to the sub, which I don't want to do.

Next I looked at the Kef range. They'd be great, but I don't like the look of the 'egg'

So I have decided on the HKTS 11 - until I read this thread !

Does anyone know if this sub problem has been sorted ? How did HK deal with people in regard to getting this sorted ? Did they take ages and fob you off etc.

I was going to order them tomorrow, but I'm now getting worried !

Thanks

Hi you may have seen from my earlier posts that I have had some issues with mine. Well after sending back my second broken set due to issues with the Sub I was told they would be unable to service my sub and would only give me a replacement or a refund. However I had bought mine from Pixmania who are based in France so that may be why this was seemingly impossible.

Other people seem to have gotten theirs serviced.

Harmon Kardon tech support were great for the first one informing me what the likely issue was, however for the 2nd set I got no response to any of my 5 submissions to their helpdesk and I was unable to get a uk service number.

As a result Pixmania refunded me which was relatively painless, the only issue there was my first replacement took over a month which was in the terms and conditions so can't really fault them.

What I'm looking to do now is source some HKTS speakers and buy a seperate Sub probably the BK Gemini as that can be finished in gloss black and has had great reviews.

I would say that when the system was working it sounded fantastic, I have just been a little unlucky with the Subs as have a few other people, and Harmon Kardon have even admitted to a fault with some of the subs that needs servicing according to some of the posts made previously.

I would advise you buy them from a UK based dealer where you can actually walk in the shop and speak to someone as then if you do get issues you are more likely to get them resolved quickly.

Not sure what the resolution for other people was or how widespread the issues are. One thing I do know is people are far more likely to seek out forums if they have problems than if they don't so it may be that there are hundreds of people who have never had an issue and just a few of us who have had issues.

If it wasn't for the sub fault I would wholeheartedly recommend the HKTS 11 system, however as I've had 2 with very similar faults I would advice caution and absolutely buy from a UK based distributor with shops you can go into and talk to a human for fault follow up.

I know what you mean about the Kef eggs, I like them but they don't suit my decor, the HKTS was the best fit within the mid priced speaker systems. I'm sure I'll find some on ebay or on here and then just buy the BK Gemini sub so I can finally annoy my neighbours for a bit :)

Good luck!

Hi everybody.
I have other problem with my Subwoofer from HKTS 11. No matter there is a signal or not, subwoofer is always on (white light). No I have tried auto mode and tried to check it without kabel connection is the same result. there is a Trigger input. Is it nessesary for a standby mode? But in my amplifier (Sony 3400 es there is no input for it. any suggestion? schould i send it to service?

thanks
RaFi B

Rafi B sounds like you have the same problem as others here. Your Sub needs to be serviced or replaced. Seems to be an increasingly common problem with these subs. According to a post higher up HK have admitted there is a fault that requires a service on the sensor switch.

I would take them back to where you bought them from tell them of the problem and let them know that others have also experienced this problem. They may send for a warranty service for you. More likely they will just send you a replacement but then it's pot luck whether the one you get has the same fault or not.

I feel your pain my friend.

Rafi B sounds like you have the same problem as others here. Your Sub needs to be serviced or replaced. Seems to be an increasingly common problem with these subs. According to a post higher up HK have admitted there is a fault that requires a service on the sensor switch.

I would take them back to where you bought them from tell them of the problem and let them know that others have also experienced this problem. They may send for a warranty service for you. More likely they will just send you a replacement but then it's pot luck whether the one you get has the same fault or not.

I feel your pain my friend.

So my problem is away. I just have to wait about 15 minutes till my subwoofer go in standby mode :)

RaFi B

Hi Guys, firstly I will kick off and say that HK customer service is excellent:thumbsup: I never got fobbed off at any stage of my discussions with them. For those of you that have been following this thread you will know that I went through 3 subs:boring:!! but each time this happened the pain was relieved slightly by the FAST FREE pickup/delivery of my old/new sub by a courier company.

So.....the end result is this, I got a call from the rep to say that he acknowledged the issues customers were having with this sub and that after extensive testing by their tech department it transpired that the power on/off sensor was faulty and was definitely the cause of the problem, which I was kind of pleased to hear because I thought it might be the amplifier. They did some sort of simple modification and I have not had any problems since the mod was done....over 4 months now.

Apologies for not offering a specific description of the fault, I cannot exactly recall what the rep told me except that it was the sensor. I only stuck it out with these faults because I am such a fan of this system and really wanted it to come right. I would still highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy. A beautiful looking system with an amazing sound, I am still highly impressed as are all my friends that have seen and heard it. I hope this helped:)

Last edited:
Hi Guys, firstly I will kick off and say that HK customer service is excellent:thumbsup: I never got fobbed off at any stage of my discussions with them. For those of you that have been following this thread you will know that I went through 3 subs:boring:!! but each time this happened the pain was relieved slightly by the FAST FREE pickup/delivery of my old/new sub by a courier company.

So.....the end result is this, I got a call from the rep to say that he acknowledged the issues customers were having with this sub and that after extensive testing by their tech department it transpired that the power on/off sensor was faulty and was definitely the cause of the problem, which I was kind of pleased to hear because I thought it might be the amplifier. They did some sort of simple modification and I have not had any problems since the mod was done....over 4 months now.

Apologies for not offering a specific description of the fault, I cannot exactly recall what the rep told me except that it was the sensor. I only stuck it out with these faults because I am such a fan of this system and really wanted it to come right. I would still highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy. A beautiful looking system with an amazing sound, I am still highly impressed as are all my friends that have seen and heard it. I hope this helped:)

I dont know if anybody still looks at this thread, but even so I still wanted to report that I had my modification done nearly 7 months ago now and have not had a single issue since. Obviously "it would seem" the faulty sensor was the issue. I am at peace once again and do not feel extreme anxiety any more when I press the on switch for my HT system:clap: I still love this system to bits it just looks so damn good! and still draws plenty of ooh aah comments. I can only hope you guys with the same difficulties got the same end result as me:D

Hi Chic,
Yes there is a switch on the back which is Auto/On i've tried putting it to On but the Sub remains in Standby(Orange light) mode. In the manual it says this should turn Blue regardless of whether a signal is being received by the Sub.
Hey idk if I'm doing this right but check it out this is what I did I took a 1865 battery like from a vape mod I believe there 3.7 volts and I wired it to a end of a headphone cord that fits in that hole for the external trigger/signal plug in the back of the subwoofer and Wala it turned the sub on .....no BS lol it really works

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom