Xtreamer Prodigy

Superfly76

Established Member
Reaction score
Xtreamer Prodigy
Another Xtreamer on the market. This looks a serious contender...Xtreamer Prodigy

http://www.xtreamer.net/prodigy/

A/V Out
Composite Audio / Video
Y/ Pb / Pr Video
SPDIF coaxial (digital audio)
SPDIF Optical TOSLink (digital audio)

Storage Supported
Internal hard disk drive (3.5” SATA up to 3TB)
External USB mass storage devices (USB2.0 or 3.0)
(hard drives, flash drives)
Media Cards
USB sticks and other USB mass
storage devices

BUILT-IN Storage Supported
EZ-Drive slot - 3.5” SATA/SATA2 HDD up to 3TB

Media Cards Supported
SD, SDHC (SD High Capacity), MMC,
MS, MSPro

USB Supported
USB 3.0 and 2.0 Interfaces
Add ports with USB hubs, USB card readers
2x USB 2.0 (USB-A)
1x USB 3.0 Slave Port (USB-B)

External File System Supported
FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT3, HFS+

Network - Wired Gigabit
RJ-45 10/100/1000

Network - Wireless
(Optional)
Wireless WLAN 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps via USB WLAN adaptor (optional, not incl.)
Supports WLAN security WEP, WPA
Supports WLAN Peer-to-Peer (connects wireless without router)

DVB-t Tuner
(Optional)
Video Formats Supported
AVI / MKV / TS / TP / TRP / M2TS / MPG /
MP4 / MOV / M4V / VOB / ISO / DVD-ISO
/ IFO / DAT / WMV / ASF / RM / RMVB / / BD-ISO
FLV resolution up to 720p / 1080i / 1080p

Video Codec’s Supported
MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 SP/ASP/AVC
(H.264 | x264) / XviD / DivX / WMV9 (VC-1)
/ RealVideo 8/9/10 (up to 720P)

Video Output Supported
PAL / NTSC / 480p / 576p / 720p / 1080i
50Hz / 1080i 60Hz / 1080p 50Hz / 1080p
60Hz / 1080p 24FPS

Audio Formats Supported
MP3 / MP2 / WMA / AAC / FLAC / WAV /
OGG Vorbis / PCM / LPCM / MS-ADPCM /
LC-AAC / HE-AAC / COOK / RA-Lossless

Audio Output Supported
Stereo
Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (passthrough)
Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS Digital Surround 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
AAC 7.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
FLAC

Image Formats Supported
JPEG, HD JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIF, PNG

Subtitles Format Supported
SRT, SMI, SSA, IDX/SUB, SUB

Character Sets Supported (Needed for Subtitles)
Unicode (UTF8), BIG5 (Traditional Chinese), Western, Turkish, Central European,
Greek, Cyrillic, SE European, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Thai
Cooling
50mm Low-Noise Fan (for HDD Cooling)
Passive Cooling Kit (Optional)

Why not include the passive cooling as standard? *sigh*

Would be interested to see how much more powerful the processor is than the previous XTreamer. And also how much more flash/HTML5 can add to the interface. The XTreamer with RSS just wasn't powerful enough for the Jukebox app. Maybe the Prodigy (or HTML5) will give it enough zip!?

Couple of interesting questions:

1. Will the 24p framerate stutter be finally fixed with this?
2. Will auto frame rate be an option that has been on the NMT's for a while?
3. What is expected ftp speed to the unit seeing as it has gig lan?

The interface bears a startling similarity to standard Realtek SDK4 soon to be running on many 1185 players. The settings menus are the same as a Mele player I have seen detailed pics for.

The tick and cross section of that page also contains many mistruths. USB3, Gigabit LAN, Flash browser, DVB-T are all coming to many 1185 players and are not unique to Xtreamer.

Interesting webpage though. A lot of China bashing. What is the price?

The interface bears a startling similarity to standard Realtek SDK4 soon to be running on many 1185 players. The settings menus are the same as a Mele player I have seen detailed pics for.

The tick and cross section of that page also contains many mistruths. USB3, Gigabit LAN, Flash browser, DVB-T are all coming to many 1185 players and are not unique to Xtreamer.

Same FW will be on the XTreamer too I believe!? ie: The same FW will be on the regular XTreamer and the new Prodigy.

PlayonHD2 has same hardware and users are reporting ftp transfer speeds of around 7MB/s

No word on the stutter issue or whether it has autoframerate detection.

1. Looking at the specs is mentions there is a fan included (i.e if you scroll down to the accessories they are selling the IceCube which is meant to replace the fan if you want)

2. & 3. I had set auto framerate on the Xtreamer Pro (I am almost positive of this) and did not see any 24p stuttering. Unfortunately I don’t have the Pro anymore to give you definite confirmation

4. I truly hope with gigE transfer speeds will be much better. On the Pro (which is 10/100) I was getting a dismal 3-5 MB/s transferring files over the network to the Pro (I ended up just connecting directly t o my PC via USB and speeds jumped up to 30 MB/s +

Thinking of giving the Xtreamer Prodigy or Xtreamer Ultra a try.

Which one you reckon?

Also, will the Xtreamer Prodigy have the same apps as the Xtreamer Ultra?

I've currently own an ASUS O!Play R3 and a D-Link Boxee Box and I just want a new start as I'm quite disappointed with both of these for various reasons...

Thinking of giving the Xtreamer Prodigy or Xtreamer Ultra a try.

Which one you reckon?

Also, will the Xtreamer Prodigy have the same apps as the Xtreamer Ultra?

I've currently own an ASUS O!Play R3 and a D-Link Boxee Box and I just want a new start as I'm quite disappointed with both of these for various reasons...

The Prodigy is more akin to the XTreamer. The Ultra is a basically a PC on which you can (easily) run Boxee or XMBC. The Prodigy and Ultra are very different animals! What don't you like about the Boxee you think the Prodigy/Ultra will fix?

The Prodigy is more akin to the XTreamer. The Ultra is a basically a PC on which you can (easily) run Boxee or XMBC. The Prodigy and Ultra are very different animals! What don't you like about the Boxee you think the Prodigy/Ultra will fix?

These are a few things off my head that I don't like about the Boxee Box.

1. No support for named asian/chinese characters on my films on my hard drive.
2. Alphabetization doesn't quite work, it doesn't recognise any film/file beginning with . as in the full stop. For example .hack
3. No back lit keyboard on the remote.
4. No on/off switch on the remote (you need to navigate about 3-4 short cuts on the remote before you can switch the Boxee Box off).
5. No Facebook app (and according to D-Link Boxee Boxx on facebook there won't EVER be one either!) This really pisses me off badly as it would be great to show off my or my friends photos on the TV and it also pisses me off further as D-Link want to portray the Boxee Box as a social media centre!!
6. No Twitter app.
7. No ability to delete files off the hard drive.
8. It might be just me but I feel the support for this is very poor. In particular the apps on this, it's very Americanised and hardly any useful UK apps.

Last edited:

Got to love Xtreamer marketing.........."exclusive features" what tosh.

David

the thing is, is it worth buying it £160 ??? big jump from 119 euros 2 weeks ago on there site and then you go looking for the tread and its removed lol , my prob is do i take a chance and buy it ??? or go for the boxee box on the netgear 550 ??? and then you have This product is available for pre-order only and with there track record it might be ready about xmas time

Fwiw they have it available here: for €59 though you've got to sign up with Facebook or something.

Details here:

HTH

^ Really can't be bothered with all that facebook (pimping) stuff :/

Rather just pay more :)

These are a few things off my head that I don't like about the Boxee Box.

5. No Facebook app (and according to D-Link Boxee Boxx on facebook there won't EVER be one either!) This really pisses me off badly as it would be great to show off my or my friends photos on the TV and it also pisses me off further as D-Link want to portray the Boxee Box as a social media centre!!
6. No Twitter app.

The reason why they don't have these two apps is because they are in direct competition with the Boxee Social Media thingy... When you're using Boxee software in the D-Link media player, on your PC, and other devices that uses Boxee - Boxee collects data from web sites you visit, habits, etc. and transmits it to their data base which they is valuable information for marketing and such that they can give to third parties... if you don't believe me just read the Boxee user agreement - this is one reason why I don't own a Boxee device...

Xtreamer Prodigy is only dvd player? does it have a blu ray player version coming soon?

Xtreamer Prodigy is only dvd player? does it have a blu ray player version coming soon?

No dvd player included on this one ... that would kind of defeat the purpose of these devices I suspect.:D

This is being released November 11th according to their web site. Anybody have any info on this device, it doesn't get mentioned much here but is feature packed as far as I can see, but I'm no expert. Any hands on reviews anywhere?

I received my Prodigy 3D on Mon 07 Nov...

Since it's original announcement it's been enhanced quite a bit. It now comes fitted with a Realtek 1186 (750Mhz) A/V decoding chip-set, which runs much cooler than previous Realtek chip-sets.

I have not had much time to play with it yet though...

Does anybody have a link to a review of this? I am thinking of getting one for Christmas.

Also, are they having problems with shipments? as this has been rumbling on for months.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom