MMA Discussion thread part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
bloody hell, how quick is this thread growing....:eek:

First news roundup of the new thread...

• Shogun Rua has been confirmed to fight Machida for the title at UFC 103. No confirmation that it will be in London but it is the most likely place.
  • Frank Trigg's return will likely be at UFC 103 too, Josh Koscheck is the rumoured opponent.
  • The hatred between Marcus Davis and Dan Hardy is getting interesting, read Davis' blog here. » Blog Archive » Marcus Davis hates Dan Hardy

99 is less than 2 weeks away and I can't wait! And if UFC 103 is in London and those 2 fights are confirmed, then it's looking like a decent card so far. Just have to convince the wife (to be) that it's a good idea for me to go!

• Shogun Rua has been confirmed to fight Machida for the title at UFC 103. No confirmation that it will be in London but it is the most likely place.
  • Frank Trigg's return will likely be at UFC 103 too, Josh Koscheck is the rumoured opponent.
  • The hatred between Marcus Davis and Dan Hardy is getting interesting, read Davis' blog here. » Blog Archive » Marcus Davis hates Dan Hardy

Personally I dont think Shogun deserves a shot yet. Fair enough he achieved a lot in Pride and was very impressive, and if he had come to the UFC and still looked as impressive then I would say give him a title shot in his 2nd fight - but he looked crap, got beaten by Griffin, gassed ridiculously against an ancient Coleman and then looked ok against a nearly ancient Chuck.To be honest, I think the they are struggling for stand out title contenders at light heaveight, there are loads of decent fighters, but with the exception of Rampage, they all seem to be losing on their way to a title shot - Machida was the only one steam rolling his way through opponents.

Obviously Rampage would have gotten his shot if it wasnt for the whole TUF coaching crap again. It is strange that Griffin has not fought for so long. It is a shame he is not fighting till 101 as I would have liked to have seen him get a shot at Machida, no doubt if by some miracle he wins against Silva he will get another shot asap. Perhaps if Cane continues to win when they step his quality of opposition up he will be the next in line.

It will be interesting to see what Trigg has left, if he still has it then I look forward to him giving Kos a sound beating:clap:

I think Hardy is just doing the usual crap to get himself noticed and in the media, nothing wrong with that really as long as he backs up his talk in the cage, otherwise he will just end up looking like a tool (ask Chris Leben:rotfl:).

99 is less than 2 weeks away and I can't wait! And if UFC 103 is in London and those 2 fights are confirmed, then it's looking like a decent card so far. Just have to convince the wife (to be) that it's a good idea for me to go!

Hasnt your Mrs told you yet Phil? Once your married that is it - no more UFC shows, you will be lucky if you get to keep your Setanta subscription:devil:

I can't see how you can go from losing to Coleman and lucking the win to getting a title shot. Makes no sense. :confused:

When you say "Losing to Coleman" are you referring to his loss in Pride? That was ages ago and was pure bad luck. He won his fight against Coleman in the UFC:confused:

Last nights ultimate fighter...

<Start Spoiler>
Well what an embarrassment the English guy was, he looked totally gassed in the second round and fair play to the American chap for beating him.

I also thought Bispeng made a dick outta himself with the water thing so was glad when he admitted he was wrong and apologised to everyone. I did think he was right about the training times thing though, there is no reason why he should have to change up everyones routine just cos Dan wanted it that way. That being said, i ended up watching it after i came in from the pub drunk so may well have missed the reasoning behind it.

Lookin forward to next weeks show though, will be interesting to see what they come up for the semi's...
<End Spoiler>

When you say "Losing to Coleman" are you referring to his loss in Pride? That was ages ago and was pure bad luck. He won his fight against Coleman in the UFC:confused:

I think a lot of people feel that Shogun did not deserve the win against Coleman in their recent fight in the UFC, Im assuming that is where he is coming from;)

Appreciate the spoilers for last nights TUF, havent watched it yet:smashin:

Obviously Rampage would have gotten his shot if it wasnt for the whole TUF coaching crap again. It is strange that Griffin has not fought for so long. It is a shame he is not fighting till 101 as I would have liked to have seen him get a shot at Machida, no doubt if by some miracle he wins against Silva he will get another shot asap. Perhaps if Cane continues to win when they step his quality of opposition up he will be the next in line.

Griffin had a hand injury that was feared to keep him out for a year but he's back earlier than expected so 101 is about the earliest he could fight.

No doubt Rua doesn't really deserve the shot based on hie UFC career so far but for such a deep division they suddenly found themselves short a contender. It was assumed that Rampage would fight him at 103 but he apparently turned it down in favour of coaching TUF against Evans. Some have suggested that he is scared of Machida, Rampage says he was mentally prepared to fight Evans and also he wants payback for Evans getting in his face after the Jardine fight.

I think a lot of people feel that Shogun did not deserve the win against Coleman in their recent fight in the UFC, Im assuming that is where he is coming from;)

Appreciate the spoilers for last nights TUF, havent watched it yet:smashin:

There was parts of that fight where Shogun was losing to Coleman but I think the decision was right. however I do not think he deserves a title shot. A win against 2 has beens does not make one deserving IMO.
That said not sure who else it could have been.
Forrest Griffin - is already fighting Anderson Silva
Rashad Evans - Just lost to Machida so I feel he needs to win a couple before a rematch
Chuck - Lost to Shogun
Keith Jardine - lost his last fight
Rich Franklin - lost against Dan Henderson, although it was at middleweight

I think the timing means it has to be Shogun:suicide:

There was parts of that fight where Shogun was losing to Coleman but I think the decision was right.

It wasn't a decision, Rua won by TKO. Coleman argued that it shouldn't have been stopped, but in fairness he took about 4 unanswered shots and the last one crumpled him to the floor.

I’m confused? :confused: I was watching UFC 9 last night and they had a ‘fight from the volt’ which was Ken Shamrock (I have a new found respect for that fighter) fighting a kick boxer forget his name (anyone know) but he looked really mean a proper hard bar stool!!!!! Shamrock won the fight by a leg lock. Which UFC was this fight? I have not seen that one and I have watched them in order? Is it a under card fight? No way Shamrock could be an under card fighter in them days????
I’m confused, easy done I know :D

If it had gone the distance Shogun would have probably lost, he was lucky to get the chance to put in some undefended blows so the fight was stopped. To go from that fight and and then have a win against Chuck that proved nothing other than Chuck should have retired when Rampage KO'd him and then straight to a title fight is a bit of a joke. He should have fought at least one credible top 10 fighter and won before getting a title shot. How many wins did Machida have under his belt before they finally gave him a crack at the title?

Re TUF spoiler
The UK's supposed "animals" have been a total let down. That Marine was rubbish and Faulkner gassing so early was embarassing and then quitting on his stool. You have to say though that the Americans haven't been impressive in their wins, in fact I would say the Brits lost the fights more than the US winning them. Judo guy gassed and then gave up a rear naked and the other guy got subbed by triangle despite knowing it was his weakness getting caught in triangles and so should have gone to any length to avoid being in the position to get triangled. The Brit wins, I think, have all been preety decisive.

Looks like Dana is going to make UK fight UK and US fight US in the next round which seems an obvious attempt to get a US and UK fighter through to the final rather than an all UK final.
/spoiler

I’m confused? :confused: I was watching UFC 9 last night and they had a ‘fight from the volt’ which was Ken Shamrock (I have a new found respect for that fighter) fighting a kick boxer forget his name (anyone know) but he looked really mean a proper hard bar stool!!!!! Shamrock won the fight by a leg lock. Which UFC was this fight? I have not seen that one and I have watched them in order? Is it a under card fight? No way Shamrock could be an under card fighter in them days????

Shamrock lost a split decision to Dan Severn at UFC 9, so if the fight was a UFC fight, (Shamrock won a few Pancrase fights via heel hook, kneebar etc), then it must have been Shamrock vs Smith from UFC 1. Smith was a kickboxer and Shamrock won the fight by heel hook in the first round.

Shamrock lost a split decision to Dan Severn at UFC 9, so if the fight was a UFC fight, (Shamrock won a few Pancrase fights via heel hook, kneebar etc), then it must have been Shamrock vs Smith from UFC 1. Smith was a kickboxer and Shamrock won the fight by heel hook in the first round.

In a stand up fight he would have battered Shamrock!!

Dont you think Dan and Don look the same and they have the same fighting style?

Did Dan and Don ever fight? If so dont tell me who wins if its in the UFC.
I would like to have seen Dan or Don fight Randy!

In a stand up fight he would have battered Shamrock!!

Dont you think Dan and Don look the same and they have the same fighting style?

Did Dan and Don ever fight? If so dont tell me who wins if its in the UFC.
I would like to have seen Dan or Don fight Randy!

Dan and Don never fought, probably because they were close friends and training partners.

They're both still active in smaller organisations. Severn actually has a record of 88-16-7. Both won fights last month.

Dan and Don never fought, probably because they were close friends and training partners.

They're both still active in smaller organisations. Severn actually has a record of 88-16-7. Both won fights last month.

Thats a shame would ahve been a cracking fight, IMO Don would win his ground and pound was assume!

Don Frye vs Amaury Bitetti on UFC 9 I actually found quiet disturbing to watch, Don was practically murdering him why Big Jon never stopped it was beyond me. Having said that the Doctors did not stop it either!:eek:

This is the most brutal fight I have seen to date anyone agree? What other really brutal fights are there in your opinion on UFC?

In ref to last night's TUF;

I have to agree with enablerbro1 in that the UK guys that lost, seem to me to have given the fight away rather than losing.

And last night's effort was embarrasing, I knew there was going to be an issue when they showed, a few episodes back, that he is unable to keep a gum shield in!! Which is kind of an essential thing if you are going to be taking part in a combat sport... and then there was all the hype where everyone was going around saying that he was the UK's best fighter, and you've got him matched up to a guy who is still missing his front teeth :rotfl: and is still half beat up from his fight a few days earlier, and who is flinching in both fear & pain of just being brushed against during training!! The writing was on the wall that there was going to be an upset!
For Dave to then announce afterwards that he was happy with his fight (or what little he put into it) and that he was considering going into wrestling or tv hosting I thought was retarded and just went to show that all the time he was being the funny guy in the house, that that was his actual audition right there! Like a UK version of Gabe Ruediger :thumbsdow

Bisping was out of order with the water, but once he realised he did apologise and it at least cleared the air about the 'band-aid' comment...maybe...

I can see Dana trying to get a UK vs. USA finale as the USA only really have one decent fighter in the show, and from a marketing point of view, in the USA, it's harder to get people excited about a UK vs. UK finale, especially when the show's title is all about continent vs. continent! And I'm sure they can sell it to the fighters as them having to fight their own countymen for the chance to represent their country in the final being just as similiar as them having to fight their own countrymen to get on the show in the first place.

Bring on next week...

It wasn't a decision, Rua won by TKO. Coleman argued that it shouldn't have been stopped, but in fairness he took about 4 unanswered shots and the last one crumpled him to the floor.

Of course it wasn't by decision. The old memory is going:)

Shamrock was one of the early pioneers of MMA but was very 1 dimensional.
Tito Ortiz showed that on more than 1 occasion and then Chuck Liddell showed how the sport has moved on since Tito by battering Tito.

Shamrock was one of the early pioneers of MMA but was very 1 dimensional.
Tito Ortiz showed that on more than 1 occasion and then Chuck Liddell showed how the sport has moved on since Tito by battering Tito.

1 dimensional being mostly on the ground?

1 dimensional being mostly on the ground?

His ground game was good back in them days but nowhere near good enough compared to today fighters. Against Royce in the rematch he mainly just used his superior body weight to hold him down but never tried any subs.As for his stand up, forget about it. He can't punch or kick for toffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom