Usb port on sony bravia s series

drbkt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I own S series 40" LCD TV which has a USB port,what purpose it serves?

Don't mean to be facetious but the instruction book should have a diagram of all the connections and what can go into them... :)

btw my kdl26s3000 doesn't have a usb port, at least not to my knowledge...:rolleyes:

With the majority of tvs, it means you have access to something called "photo tv", essentially allowing you to plug your digital camera in to view the pictures.

I wasn't aware it was available on the S series though!

Depends what model you are talking about. Some current models in the 4000 range do allow for a memory stick to be plugged in to show photos. However, in older models the socket was purely for service uses and is not any use for anything else. Sorry I cannot be more specific about this. If it is used for photos then as colspark says it will be selectable by the menu.

I have tried all types of files via USB,but it does not respond,some say that it is service port only,Is it possible that techs have a different remote to operate?

I have tried all types of files via USB,but it does not respond,some say that it is service port only,Is it possible that techs have a different remote to operate?

If the socket cannot be selected by the standard menu then it is not intended to be used as a regular input. Going into service menus and using service ports can cause a lot of problems and you probably won't achieve anything useful. You have still not said what model your set is.

I got my S-series Bravia yesterday (KDL32s5100) and even I was wondering why the usb port at the back. The manual also doesnt speak about it. Got info from the sony website that the port is a 'service only' port :(

Additional port info:
  • Inputs and Outputs
  • AC Power Input : 1 (Rear)
  • Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) : 5 (2 Side, 3 Rear)
  • Analog Audio Input(s) for HDMI™ : 1 (Rear)
  • Audio Out : 1 (Rear)
  • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 2 (Rear) (1 fixed, 1 selectable)
  • Composite Video Input(s) : 2 (1 Side, 1 Rear (selectable))
  • Digital Audio Output(s) : Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
  • HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total) : 3 (2 Side, 1 Rear)
  • HDMI™ PC Input : Yes (see owner's manual for supported timings)
  • PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) : 1 (Side) see owner's manual for supported timings
  • RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • S-Video Detection : Yes
  • S-Video Input(s) : 1 (Side)
  • USB 1.1 : 1 (Rear) (Service only)

I think what he was asking was "Has anyone found a hack for this port" I have not tried as of yet plugging my Linux computer into this port. I did notice a large piece of paper that came with the documentation. It was labeled "Notices and licenses for software used in this television"
A list of GPLs, LGPL Libraries and GNU licenses.
Anyone good with programming might enjoy reprogramming there TV with the latest codec's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom