Sky out of sync

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully this will be an easy fix... have recently moved and have had sky for the last couple of days. The problem is, the sound seems ever so slightly out of sync with the picture... i'm not talking huge amounts but noticeable and now I have noticed this all I find myself watching are peoples lips and getting annoyed when I see its out of sync!

I've tried the audio adjustment on the Sky box but doesn't seem to make much difference... how would I go about rescanning the box and would it make much difference?

If it makes any difference it is connecting to the 1912 via HDMI and Optical and then HDMI from the Denon into the TV.

Thanks!

Obvious questions, but just to be certain - TV speaker is off, amplifier is set to give precedence to optical over HDMI for that input?

On my Denon 1610 i have the option to auto lip sync the sound turned OFF, I found it perfect without it on!
I think my Sky HD box audio delay is set at 60ms.

EDIT
I'm also using optical for the Sky box so i get DD when its available.

I've noticed this on my TV lately with the HD channels. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it just goes out of sync.

Thanks for the replies... yeh set to optical for sky and no sound coming from the speaker...

Strange thing is the sound is out of sync just using the TV speakers too... must be a problem somewhere with either the TV the receiver or the sky box but not a clue which and what is causing the lag...

... must be a problem somewhere with either the TV the receiver or the sky box but not a clue which and what is causing the lag...

Easily discovered - just connect the Sky box directly to the TV via HDMI.

I seem to be getting exactly the same problem on HD channels only. Have my Sky HD box connected via HDMI through a Marantz SR6006 to my Panny GT30 and every now and then the HD channels go out of sync and look like some old Bruce Lee movie. :confused:

New box fitted yesterday and I can slight lip sync on itv hd - on normal itv it's fine. That's straight from box > hdmi > tv. Never had this problem on my Thompson :(

Do I need to get them back to swap the box over?

Dal

New box fitted yesterday and I can slight lip sync on itv hd - on normal itv it's fine. That's straight from box > hdmi > tv. Never had this problem on my Thompson :(

Do I need to get them back to swap the box over?

Dal

If the problem is only on ITV1HD then there is nothing wrong with any of your equipment it is a known problem with ITVs broadcasts and occurs across virtually all platforms and receivers. Try a search on "ITV 1HD lip synch" and you will find hundreds of complaints and sometimes solutions on particular system setups.

davemurgatroyd2 said:
If the problem is only on ITV1HD then there is nothing wrong with any of your equipment it is a known problem with ITVs broadcasts and occurs across virtually all platforms and receivers. Try a search on "ITV 1HD lip synch" and you will find hundreds of complaints and sometimes solutions on particular system setups.

Just seems strange never had it on previous boxes. At the moment it appears only itv 1 which I'm not too fussed about TBH

Dal

ITV HD for the footy was awful with the sync... miles off for me.

a l e x said:
ITV HD for the footy was awful with the sync... miles off for me.

Thanks Alex for posting this :) didn't think the picture was all that either tbh.

Dal

Much rather watch the footy on Sky Sports! DD on Sky Sports too!

Righto, still having problems...

Sky straight into the TV with HDMI and using the TV speakers the sound is still slightly out of sync... what do you think? Dodgy TV or dodgy Sky box?

Thanks

a l e x said:
Righto, still having problems...

Sky straight into the TV with HDMI and using the TV speakers the sound is still slightly out of sync... what do you think? Dodgy TV or dodgy Sky box?

Thanks

Which box you got out of interest?

Is it all channels? I have an issue with some channels such as ITV HD and CH5HD that others are experiencing over on the SKY help forum. Other channels such as BBC HD are fine so it looks like it is a broadcast issue (either SKY or the channel themselves) rather than a faulty box.

Is it all channels? I have an issue with some channels such as ITV HD and CH5HD that others are experiencing over on the SKY help forum. Other channels such as BBC HD are fine so it looks like it is a broadcast issue (either SKY or the channel themselves) rather than a faulty box.

I'm not so sure - had my Thomson HD box replaced on Saturday and since then I'm also getting lip sync issues on the same channels.

Again it's the latest HD box from sky.

Really annoying :(

Dal

Which channels Dal?

Im getting problems on all sorts of channels, HD and standard! :(

a l e x said:
Which channels Dal?

Itv HD and I'm sure a few others.

I will have a look tonight and make a note - its a shame cos the new box is so much better than the old one but lip sync is a real pain.

Is this issue documented over on the sky forum then? Will have a take a look later.

Dal

Itv HD and I'm sure a few others.

Is this issue documented over on the sky forum then? Will have a take a look later.

Dal

It is...it's currently running to 20 pages from September last year. I don't know if I can send you the link but it's not hard to find.

I was planning on ringing them to try and get a new box, seems to be a problem with the new box so not sure it'll do much good really!

a l e x said:
Which channels Dal?

Ok so I'm watching soccer am on sky1 HD and its out. Pop to sky1 normal and it's fine. Funny thing is its not even HD on sky1 HD.

I'm confused and it's really starting to annoy me now.

Dal

I have a Denon 1910, and you need to go into the setup and adjust the lip sync delay in there. if you are unsure here do a net search for batpig denon and he has a very easy idiots guide to setting up your receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom