Newbie setup help needed

D

dackson

Please help!!!

Sky have just installed hd for me but the picture quality on standard def channels is appalling compared to my previous sky+ box.

FYI:
I have a Panasonic TX37LZD85 tv
The engineer has installed a Samsung hd box
It is connected to the tv with both a SCART (he used my existing cable) and a HDMI cable
In Picture Settings HD resolution is set to 1080i

In Picture Settings if I toggle SCART control to 'ON' the picture quality on standard def channels is almost as good as it was with the old box but it does not display in hd (even if I have an hd channel selected). If I toggle SCART control to 'OFF' the picture quality on standard def channels is awful but hd now works.

I'm totally confused - I thought that hd did away with a SCART connection so why do I have it?????? As I said, without it toggled on the picture is just terrible.

Any help much appreciated cos its doing my head in.

Please help!!!

Sky have just installed hd for me but the picture quality on standard def channels is appalling compared to my previous sky+ box.

FYI:
I have a Panasonic TX37LZD85 tv
The engineer has installed a Samsung hd box
It is connected to the tv with both a SCART (he used my existing cable) and a HDMI cable
In Picture Settings HD resolution is set to 1080i

In Picture Settings if I toggle SCART control to 'ON' the picture quality on standard def channels is almost as good as it was with the old box but it does not display in hd (even if I have an hd channel selected). If I toggle SCART control to 'OFF' the picture quality on standard def channels is awful but hd now works.

I'm totally confused - I thought that hd did away with a SCART connection so why do I have it?????? As I said, without it toggled on the picture is just terrible.

Any help much appreciated cos its doing my head in.

You can't get HD through Scart.

You do not need Scart connected at all but some people find they get better PQ on Sd channels using it. You will need to tell your TV which input to use for SD & HD.

First thing I would do is remove the Scart and see how you go just using HDMI.

Also don't just settle for 1080i. Try AUTO for a day and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Only reason I have Scart(control on) and hdmi connections is to make it easier for the wife so she doesn't have to change the TV output herself when she switches Sky on. Otherwise pics are fine on both scart or hdmi output. Of course when viewing HD channel I will switch over to hdmi. If making chopping/changing via the box and/or connections don't lead to improvement then you'll need to adjust TV settings. If none of these sort it you'll need to make a phone call.
Pete :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom