Sky HD and Sony STR DH800

spangle2003

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got through to someone who (seemed) to know what they're talking about at Sony.

Appears the new DH800 is not compatible with Sky HD by using the same firmware fix as the old DG820. This was related to Sky HD only outputting 2.0 sound over the HDMI link, and for 5.1 you would need to use the optical out of the Sky HD box to your amp.

The solution (on the DG820) was to re-assign the optical audio in on your amp to pair up with the HDMI input. This was done via a firmware fix for the DG820 (apparently the firmware fix for the DG820 was not specifically for Sky HD, but a side effect of a fix for another problem).

There is no such option on the DH800. Anyone trying to re-assign the optical input to an HDMI in will be met with a rather annoying '------'. You cannot (page 85 of manual).

So, anyone wanting to pair up the optical in from a Sky HD box to any HDMI input is not going to be pleased. the solution from Sony is to wait for Sky to fix their boxes ... or use HDMI to the TV, and optical to the amp. A pain if you like to switch HDMI sources via the amp, or only have 1 HDMI input on the TV!!! Like me.

Any comments, please shout!

John

I have the same set amp as you and have assigned the video to the SAT button on the amp and the audio to the SAT button as well. When I want to watch sky I press the sat button and everthing works fine. Hope this helps.

I swear to God, Sony support ... :-(

This now works, just for the benefit of others I'll describe what it was ...

You cannot do INPUT MODE on the HDMI channels, but what you can do is assign a video and audio source to another button.

1. Assign Audio

AMP -> AUDIO -> A. ASSIGN -> Scroll up / down till you get to SAT (assuming you have the optical lead plugged into the SAT connection at the back!)

2. Assign Video

AMP -> VIDEO -> V. ASSIGN -> SAT -> Scroll up / down to relevant HDMI input (in my case HDMI 3).

Cool - thanks to you and Dante for helping me out, this has MADE MY DAY!!!!

John

I have the same set amp as you and have assigned the video to the SAT button on the amp and the audio to the SAT button as well. When I want to watch sky I press the sat button and everthing works fine. Hope this helps.

Totally off the subject of the thread but how do you find your Tannoys with the Sony DH800 (I noticed them in your sig). A good match or are they too lightweight? I've been running another thread trying to choose a setup and this is one of my potential options.

Last edited:
Totally off the subject of the thread but how do you find your Tannoys with the Sony DH800 (I noticed them in your sig). A good match or are they too lightweight? I've been running another thread trying to choose a setup and this is one of my potential options.

I find them very good, movies are excellent :thumbsup:. This is my first amp with speakers so I cant compare to anthing else tho. They are surpisingly powerfull for the size of them I find myself turning the volume down at action scenes. The sub is set to just under half aswell.

I will probably upgrade eventually to something better but they are a good starter package.

I find them very good, movies are excellent :thumbsup:. This is my first amp with speakers so I cant compare to anthing else tho. They are surpisingly powerfull for the size of them I find myself turning the volume down at action scenes. The sub is set to just under half aswell.

I will probably upgrade eventually to something better but they are a good starter package.

Do you play cds/mp3 through the system and if so how good is the quality? Would you consider it an adequate HiFi system (without being a purist). The reason I ask is that I am toying with the idea of a Sony STRDA2400ES and Wharfedale Diamond 9 speaker setup and while it looks to be everything I would want it's just a bit too expensive for me to justify.
So I'm looking for confidence in choosing a cheaper setup that I hope I won't regret.

Do you play cds/mp3 through the system and if so how good is the quality? Would you consider it an adequate HiFi system (without being a purist). The reason I ask is that I am toying with the idea of a Sony STRDA2400ES and Wharfedale Diamond 9 speaker setup and while it looks to be everything I would want it's just a bit too expensive for me to justify.
So I'm looking for confidence in choosing a cheaper setup that I hope I won't regret.

I don't play any music throught the amp so i cant say if its good or not. Although from what I have read the amp is not the best for music. Maybe if music is important then go for the better amp. It suits me just now as its my first set up and I had a budget of £500. I am happy with my movies throught it and some of sky's HD channels are superb :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom