Sky Fibre - 3rd Party Routers (Asus)

go here

How to connect two Routers together

The mod on the sky forum has uploaded a PDF of how to do the attachment of sky hub to another router, give it a shot

Hmm..that wouldn't help me...

that's one of the setups I had before getting the Asus :

Skyhub(wifi1)<====RJ45===>Homeplug<-----PowerLine---->Homeplug<===RJ45===>Router2(wifi2)

Before that the set up was

Skyhub(wifi1) -----DD-WRT Repeater(wifi_repeated)

Now, I want

SkyHub (Modem Only) <==RJ45==>ASUS (in DMZ, with WAN IP, wifi)

Hope that makes sense..

Hmm..that wouldn't help me...

that's one of the setups I had before getting the Asus :

Skyhub(wifi1)<====RJ45===>Homeplug<-----PowerLine---->Homeplug<===RJ45===>Router2(wifi2)

Before that the set up was

Skyhub(wifi1) -----DD-WRT Repeater(wifi_repeated)

Now, I want

SkyHub (Modem Only) <==RJ45==>ASUS (in DMZ, with WAN IP, wifi)

Hope that makes sense..

sorry mate I am not that technical into it, however if you ask on the Skyuser forum there are some real techies on there that may know...

I personally would not bother with the AC Asus (yes the merlin software works on that as well)

bit nothing is released yet using AC, adapters are circa £50, and the AC band has not even been certificated yet...

also Asus is about to release a revised version of the AC RT66u router, so the one you might buy would not be the latest one....

Just got the Asus from Amazon so its still in 30-day period...however, I like it for the wifi and other features so planning to keep it. My real issue is not that I do or do not want to use sky hub. The real issue is that I want to use opendns on RT-N66U and currently it is only seeing a local IP on the WAN. Have already put it in DMZ so I can access it from outside (if I knew the WAN IP). I want to be able to use the Asus DDNS service for which it must see the WAN..and that's something the Sky Hub won't allow (or does it?? how?)

Can you please elaborate on how to do this? Would the RT-N66U see a WAN IP so that I can use DDNS?

Just dug this out of the skyuser forum

Try the following:

1. Connect to the Netgear using an ethernet cable
2. Log in to its interface.
3. Change the IP address to 192.188.0.250. This is in the range of the Sky router, but unlikely to be assigned via the Sky routers DHCP.
4. Turn off the netgear's DHCP
5. Reboot the netgear
6. If the two routers are going to be in the same room, turn off the wi-fi on one of them (suggest the Sky router as the netgear is superior).
7. Connect the two routers together with an ethernet cable. If that's not practical, then you can use homeplugs

Sorry for the confusion. My query is not about how I can connect another router to my Sky hub. Its about whether I can use my Sky Hub SR101 as a modem only so that the RT-N66U can act as the primary router that sees the WAN IP. I don't think its possible using the Sky Hub SR101.

You mentioned that on Sky Fibre, the Sky HUB isn't required. So is there an ethernet cable coming out of the master socket that directly goes into the Asus ?? Isn't there a DSL line (RJ11) that goes into Sky Hub and the ethernet cable (RJ45) from Sky hub goes to the Asus?

Sorry for the confusion. My query is not about how I can connect another router to my Sky hub. Its about whether I can use my Sky Hub SR101 as a modem only so that the RT-N66U can act as the primary router that sees the WAN IP. I don't think its possible using the Sky Hub SR101.

You mentioned that on Sky Fibre, the Sky HUB isn't required. So is there an ethernet cable coming out of the master socket that directly goes into the Asus ?? Isn't there a DSL line (RJ11) that goes into Sky Hub and the ethernet cable (RJ45) from Sky hub goes to the Asus?

When you order fibre, BT come to your house and install the fibre modem on your wall by the master socket RJ45 from that to your router... you don't need the sky one anymore

However it does seem possible to use the Sky Modem as just a modem

This thread here discusses it Using the DLink DIR613.

there is a PDF, they are using a different router but the principal applies

goes a bit like this

ADSL socket --> Sky router (IP Address 192.168.0.1, DMZ Server = 192.168.0.200, WiFi disabled) --> Netgear nr1000's WAN Port.

Set the Netgear nr1000's WAN IP Address as 192.168.0.200

On the Netgear nr1000 do not use the IP Range 192.168.0.xxx as this would clash with the Sky router. It is safe to use 192.168.1.1 as the Netgear's LAN address, for example, it you set the range to 192.168.1.xxx. So long as the 3rd number is different, then all will be fine.

If you are knowledgeable able LAN, there are some other ranges which could be used.

Once you have the Netgear configured as per Tom's guide, all the Internet traffic will pass through the Sky router and not be handled by it's Firewall. The Netgear router will manage all the traffic, including port forwarding, QoS, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a shot to try set up the Sky Hub as a modem. Question is once set-up as modem would the Asus be able to get a WAN IP? I'm a bit skeptical because most of the solutions that I found on the net that unleash the full functionality of the Asus (OpenVPN, DDNS etc) suggested using a Draytek Vigor 120 modem to replace the Sky Hub completely and use a Merlin firmware on the Asus. Its because Asus doesn't have PPoA while Sky hub non-fibre uses PPoA. And the only PPoE-PPoA bridging modem available is the Draytek.

OK. I went over the details of how to set up a Sky Hub as a modem only. The major drawback of the process is that it requires setting the Asus on a "static local IP" which means the Asus would not see the WAN IP.

And that's probably why the only workaround is to use a Draytek modem to replace the Sky Hub (non-fibre)
OR upgrade to Sky Fibre and ditch the Sky Hub altogether.

Quick question on Sky Fibre upgrade:

Does the BT engineer connect the BT fibre modem to the Master socket only (i.e. the main socket at the entry to the house?). My master socket is in one corner of the house and if the BT fibre modem is placed there, it means I would have to connect the Asus to it through an Ethernet cable...and then I wouldn't be able to get a good wifi signal in the house :( :(

OK. I went over the details of how to set up a Sky Hub as a modem only. The major drawback of the process is that it requires setting the Asus on a "static local IP" which means the Asus would not see the WAN IP.

And that's probably why the only workaround is to use a Draytek modem to replace the Sky Hub (non-fibre)
OR upgrade to Sky Fibre and ditch the Sky Hub altogether.

Quick question on Sky Fibre upgrade:

Does the BT engineer connect the BT fibre modem to the Master socket only (i.e. the main socket at the entry to the house?). My master socket is in one corner of the house and if the BT fibre modem is placed there, it means I would have to connect the Asus to it through an Ethernet cable...and then I wouldn't be able to get a good wifi signal in the house :( :(

Afraid so, and they insisting installing on the wall, you get a new faceplate, of course you could always ask for a new position on your master socket, not sure of the charge though

You can always get a wireless extender, as that is my problem master socket isn't front of house

They will relocate the Master socket f.o.c. upto a max of 30m.

They will relocate the Master socket f.o.c. upto a max of 30m.

With wiring running on the walls? I already have internal wiring running inside the walls to each room for extension sockets. In fact currently my sky hub (non-fibre) is connected to one of the extension sockets not the master socket.

Can I may be move the BT modem to one of the extension sockets? Or do I have to have it on the master sockets and then run the ethernet cable through a homeplug to the asus in another room?

The OR man can convert one of your extension sockets to be the Master.

The OR man can convert one of your extension sockets to be the Master.

That's what I meant. Is it possible? Or is the wire running from the cabinet to the master socket any different from the one betwn master socket and extension?

The cable coming into your Master socket, (not necessarily direct from the cabinet), should be the same as your internal wiring, (if done correctly). The OR man will figure it all out.

I am currently with Talk Talk on ADSL using a Billion 7800n. Is there any step by step guide to using the 7800n with Sky FTTC? I have put the latest Sky compatible firmware on the Billion but don't want to order Sky until I'm sure I know the Billion will work and I know how to get it to work.

I am currently with Talk Talk on ADSL using a Billion 7800n. Is there any step by step guide to using the 7800n with Sky FTTC? I have put the latest Sky compatible firmware on the Billion but don't want to order Sky until I'm sure I know the Billion will work and I know how to get it to work.

it is dead easy with the 7800n, the most difficult bit is getting your username password from the new posh router they will give you

go here

How to get the Username and Password for the Sky Hub SR101

I did it and it went fine, once you have it, on the 7800n you literally put that info in the ewan box on the router, remember it can take a little while to configure the first time

it is dead easy with the 7800n, the most difficult bit is getting your username password from the new posh router they will give you

go here

How to get the Username and Password for the Sky Hub SR101

I did it and it went fine, once you have it, on the 7800n you literally put that info in the ewan box on the router, remember it can take a little while to configure the first time

Nice one.

I was thinking of getting one of the new Draytek routers that have a VDSL modem built in so I could have a one box solution. Does anyone here have one in use with Sky?

Anyone know about if this works with the RT-AC66U?

Would I need a separate modem with this? Currently have a sky sagem box and a BT openreach box. Have sky fibre broadband.

Last edited:
Yes it would be fine.

The openreach box is your fibre link. The sky box acting as router is replaced with the AC66 which now acts as router.

Heed the info about flashing custom firmware to AC66 that enables handshake with sky username and password - see initial posts.

Anyone know about if this works with the RT-AC66U?

Would I need a separate modem with this? Currently have a sky sagem box and a BT openreach box. Have sky fibre broadband.

The RT-AC66U is purely a router. You will still need the OR modem.

Personally I cannot see that the hassle involved in getting your Sky User name and Password into the RT-AC66U is worth it.

Anyone help me out here?

I just bought an RT-AC66U without fully investigating upfront the hassle getting it to work with Sky Fibreoptic broadband. I assumed it would be plug and play, more fool me right?

Anyway, I think I correctly extracted my username and password using Wireshark.

Question - should it have an = sign at the beginning? Seems to be conflicting information.

For instance, mine is something like: =3z7rd2976mi8@skydsl

(Changed the numbers and letters for security)

Secondly, according to my SR101 router my Internet connection is MER mode. Will this work with the default firmware or do I need to upload one of the merlin ones?

Any help would be much appreciated.

gimme a little while I did this recently ill have a look again and let you know

login to router
go to WAN settings
look for heading Special Requirement from ISP
enter mac address of your sky router to clone it, maybe not necessary but I did it and there was no delay in connecting to sky
DHCP query frequency change to normal mode
Manual clientid (for some ISPs): Put in the hex code you got from wireshark...here's mine with x's replacing the hex xxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl|xxxxxxxx

Cracking router mate :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks, that has helped but....

I can connect for a minute and then it disconnects with an error about invalid username and password. Any ideas?

I've copied and pasted my old Sky SR101 Mac address in every time, when the connection drops and I go through the setup process again it seems to have lost that MAC address?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom