Guide : Backing up your DVDs to hard disk

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
DVD backup guide
The program content of a DVD comprises a number of “Program Chains” with a Chain for each section of the DVD content e.g. a Chain for the menus, one for the main body of the DVD, one for any extras etc. These Chains are stored on the DVD as VOB files and contain the MPEG2 video and audio data multiplexed together. Additional IFO files (and their backup called BUP files) act as an index for the DVD player application to know how to play the VOB files.
It is possible to copy the entire content of a DVD to Hard Disk where it can be played by a software DVD player e.g. PowerDVD, just as if the original DVD was in the DVD drive. In addition it is possible to selectively copy those sections of a DVD e.g. just the movie plus a specific soundtrack. This has the advantage of minimising the storage required plus saves on copying sections that are not wanted.
The software applications required are:
More detailed information together with guides and links to other resources can be found at the following http://www.doom9.org. The following is a brief summary of one method of backing up a DVD to hard disk.
To backup a complete DVD
  • Start DVD Decrypter
  • Select File Mode
  • DVD Decrypter automatically highlights/selects those files that represent the longest Program Chain (believing that this is the main part of the DVD e.g. the Movie)
  • Select all files by highlighting them
  • Choose where to store the files or accept the default folder and start the decrypting process
  • File copying/decrypting will take approx 15 minutes depending on how big the DVD files are
  • Once finished close DVD Decrypter
To backup just a part of a DVD
  • Start DVD Decrypter
  • Select IFO Mode
  • DVD Decrypter automatically highlights/selects those files that represent the longest Program Chain (believing that this is the main part of the DVD e.g. the Movie)
  • Either accept this default or navigate to the specific Program Chain that you wish to backup
  • If you intend to further select what to backup within a Program Chain e.g. a specific audio track or subtitle then select Stream Processing
  • Select/unselect what to copy. If you chose to just copy a DTS soundtrack – normally 0x89 then select to remap this audio stream to 0x88
  • Choose where to store the files or accept the default folder and start the decrypting process
  • File copying/decrypting will commence and take approx 10 minutes depending on how big the DVD files are
  • Open the folder where the decrypted files are stored. There will be a number of VOB files, depending on how big the copied data is, plus a couple of extra files likely called Stream and IFO – these extra files can be safely deleted
  • The remaining VOB files will be named in sequence VTS_0x_1.VOB, VTS_0x_2.VOB, VTS_0x_3.VOB etc. where x represents the number of the Program Chain that was copied, e.g. VTS_03_1.VOB, VTS_03_2.VOB, VTS_03_3.VOB etc. These files need to be renamed so that x=1 i.e. VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB etc
  • The second stage of the process is to create new IFO files that correctly index these created and copied VOB files
  • Open IfoEdit
  • Select the “Create IFO’s” button
  • Browse to the stored DVD files and select the first VOB file – named VTS_01_1.VOB
  • Select where to store the created IFO files – normally the same folder as the VOB files
  • Select the button to start the process. IfoEdit will process each VOB file in turn and create a set of IFO files that index these VOB files
  • Once finished close IfoEdit
To Play a DVD from the hard disk
  • Start PowerDVD
  • Select File Open and chose Play DVD from Hard Disk
  • Browse to the folder that contains the DVD files
  • Select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and press Open
  • The DVD will start playing as normal

surely the information in this post promotes piracy. You have provied links to software that gets around the encryption on the dvd.

I'm sorry but if somebody else would have posted this you would have come down on them like a ton of bricks

Originally posted by graham.myers
surely the information in this post promotes piracy. You have provied links to software that gets around the encryption on the dvd.

I'm sorry but if somebody else would have posted this you would have come down on them like a ton of bricks

No, the forum rules have been revised. Nobody else cares about piracy so I don't any more.

I dont think it piracy:devil:

For instance its lucky i backed up some of my top movies because the other day my son got hold of one of my dvds and scratched it but luckily it was backed up on my harddisk.:clap:

Piracy to me is copying with a motive to make money out of it rather than your own personal use, thats why the uk developer who made dvd decrypter couldnt be prosecuted the same man even made clone cd ,catch my drift.:p

I'd like to be able to edit a DVD to make my own trailers or parodies for my own entertainment. I could do it easily with VHS. Now I can do it at a better quality. There will be people who abuse this information like everything else in life. Fortunately it's only the minority. I'm sure we (as the law abiding majority) 'assist' in recovering the distributers lost revenue by inflated retail prices.

I can't see the problem.
What Stuart is explaining how to do, is just creating a DVD Jukebox.
Us HTPC users would find this instant access to our most watched films a great feature.
Now if JVCs hi-def wireless networking can be added, it would be a great way of watching movies all round the house!

(I think i will need a larger hard drive!:D )

On the contrary, I had a link to dvd decrypter's website removed from a thread called "DVD Backup" (have a search for it) and when I complained about it, here's what Spectre had to say:

"That software can no other use than creating illegal pirate copies and by publishing that URL you are promoting piracy.
As per the forum rules, that link was fairly removed.
We've recently relaxed the rules relating to piracy. Previously this thread would have been deleted immediately.
Piracy is illegal and we don't allow it's promotion.
If previous discussion have done worse than your thread then they should be dealt with aswell.
Please stop whining about the forum rules. Just deal with it.
Nutcase - will you please see to that?"

Nice guy, huh? Seems Spectre can just change the rules when it suits himself. I reckon at the very least I deserve an apology from Spectre, but I don't expect I'll get one.

It's his site, so of course he can change the rules when it suits him!
No point being the boss if you can't change things!:D

Personally, i find Stuarts decision refreshing:smashin:

Good websites change with public opinion/acceptance of things.

Years ago, i visited a website that shown ladies ankles!:eek:

I'am not telling what they show now!!!:p

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In the real world I couldn't give a fig about ripping dvd to HD, I might even indulge in a little myself. However I'm not so sure its a great idea to publicise it so openly on the site. Remember how nutty FACT were about regional coding.

Then again people are quite nonchallant about ripping music to HD. Myself included ( see talk of EAC and APE..

if you want another site from how to backup your dvd to hd do search on google for how-to-create-divx there is a section on dvd backup hope this does not break the rule if does sorry

boogie man:lesson:

I think I have spotted a mistake in the Spectre guide on how To backup a complete DVD.

Surely it start with: Visit Blockbuster, then start DVD Decrypter :)

mij

What is the best quality DVD to AVI program, I am currently using easydivx but have not been happy with the results.

Thanks

Originally posted by Spectre
To backup a complete DVD
  • Start DVD Decrypter
  • Select File Mode
  • Select all files by highlighting them
  • File copying/decrypting will take approx 15 minutes depending on how big the DVD files are

I'm having problems with this. I previously tried using DVDDecrypter in ISO mode to create an ISO image of it and DaemonTools to mount it as a virtual DVD drive. My test disc for this (R2 Gladiator) then played back (using TheaterTek) with no video and choppy sound. Last night I did the above, using the /STARTDRIVE and /MAPDRIVES options in TheaterTek to play back, and got the same problem. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,

_

P.S. FWIW, I'm not interested in this for piracy - my reason is that I want to be able to use TT's multidisc feature to play 2-disc movies without having to buy a second DVD drive.

To get the vob and iso files I use smartripper. Is very quick and easy to use.

Originally posted by mij
I think I have spotted a mistake in the Spectre guide on how To backup a complete DVD.

Surely it start with: Visit Blockbuster, then start DVD Decrypter :)

mij

That would constitute piracy.

Even though i support copying (back ups etc) and storing DVDs to your hard drive, i only agree with this practice if you OWN the original!

Copying a rental, really is pirating and i would have no part in it.
I think a would be more embarrased than worried about any legal action if caught with a pirate copy!
I hate thieves and wouldn't like to be classed as one...

Mind you (i admit :blush: )! i did go through a patch where a bloke at work, kept lending me dodgy copies of unreleased films.
I first, i got a buzz at seeing films before the the official USA cinema release.
However, i soon realised my enjoyment was spoiled by poor picture and sound quality.
Never mind "THAT" women who keeps getting up to get popcorn half way through the film! :D
I swear she was in every dodgy release!

It then struck me that i had spent a small fortune trying to get super quality pictures and sound, and here i was watching possibly the worst possible source. :rolleyes:

I now pass when offered these "new" releases.

In fact, i now await R2 releases as the quality seems on par with R1 now the R2 authoring studios have the hang of things.(PAL resolution Vs NTSC etc)

However!

I did think of a little grey area on the subject of ripping a rental to your hard drive.

One point of view would be to completely dismiss it as piracy.
I tend to lean on this side of the arguement, as you don't own a "multi use" right, like owning a personal copy gives you.

The other arguement is that you are only "time shifting" the material to watch at a later date etc.
However, the rental contract must be a limited time contract surely?.
Plus, you could then burn a copy(s) which would then be complete piracy.

The grey area comes with simply storing the film for later viewing.
This isn't a permanent copy due to the eventual wiping of the hard drive for formating/reloading windows etc.

These are very muddy waters, but i think most people are honest or at least reasonable on piracy issues!

And there was me thinking it was easy to copy to HD....

Is this the easiest way of getting a HD back up, cos I'm just to lazy to keep getting up - please help homer stay in his chair

rgds

Originally posted by fulabeer

Mind you (i admit :blush: )! i did go through a patch where a bloke at work, kept lending me dodgy copies of unreleased films.
I first, i got a buzz at seeing films before the the official USA cinema release.
However, i soon realised my enjoyment was spoiled by poor picture and sound quality.

Funnilly enough, a friend brought round a bootleeg copy of Matrix reloaded last night . I put it on, out of interest, watched about 30 seconds and it looked bloody awfull. Absolutely crawling with artifacts & numerous other problems. I've seen standard VHS look better. Mind you it was projected up to 7ft wide, although I think it would look pretty bad even on a standard TV! I'd personally wather wait and enjoy it.

I agree with Paul. Little point spending a fortune on good stuff, and then feeding it with cr@p.

Off topic a bit I know!

Rob.

nfordenfield: you might want to take a look at an application called DVDShrink.

It will probably do EVERYTHING you want.

I am actually very please that 'the rules' have been amended and are now more friendly to HTPC users.

Congratulations and thanks for clearing this issue in such positive way.

How much space on your HD does ripping a DVD take up?

I love the idea of a DVD jukebox, but I have a feeling I'd need an obscenely big HD...(or 2)....

Originally posted by Smurfin
How much space on your HD does ripping a DVD take up?

I love the idea of a DVD jukebox, but I have a feeling I'd need an obscenely big HD...(or 2)....

Then get over to ebuyer and get a Diamondmax Plus 9 Hard Disk Drive 250gb Ata133 7200rpm 8mb Cache for £49.34. Link Product code 45633.

I don't have a very large hard disk so I will need to back up my movies to a DVD-R.

If I backup only the film and a single soundtrack (ideally DTS) and no commentary, trailers, e.t.c, will I loose any picture/sound quality (assuming this is less than 4.7gb)?

I won't be copying menus either, so how can I make the film start as soon as the disc is loaded into my DVD player?

Thanks in advance

Jonno

PS. I will be downloading DVD shrink, does anyone know if it contains spyware, adware, e.t.c?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom