Pioneer Pdp-lx5090 Or Panasonic Th50pz800

subspank

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok , I Wonder Which Of These Two Would Be The Better Buy?

They Will Probably Be Priced Close To Each Other After A Few Months Maybe?

Love To Here Some Comments Please.

The Tv Will Be Placed On A Bench, Not Wall Mounted.

If you can afford it, the Pioneer will easily be the better set. The PZ800 doesn't seem to offer a whole lot over the 85, mainly better speakers and yet another HDMI, I think?

pLeAsE dOn'T pOsT lIkE tHaT aGaIn It'S aNoYyInG.
I'd get the Pioneer but I guess fair difference in price?

If you can afford it, the Pioneer will easily be the better set. The PZ800 doesn't seem to offer a whole lot over the 85, mainly better speakers and yet another HDMI, I think?

be interesting to see these two sets pitched against each other.

and ignore the price.

Be interesting to see what this is like against a FULL HD projector set up

I'd been waiting since xmas for the new panasonic's to come out as the PZ7__ could not do 24p properly (the range details were released at CES in january). I'd decided I would probably get the 46PZ800. Alass, there's no 46" for the UK, so it would have to be 50". The 50" is still not out and the projected price is higher than I thought it would be. The reviews of the PZ85's were very average and even disappointing, especially as SD was worse than PZ70's :confused:

Then suddenly I spotted details of the forthcoming Pioneer LX5090. :eek: WOW! :eek: I can afford the best TV in the world after all!! and its even better than last years LX508 :eek:

I really can't see the PZ800 beating the 5090 - maybe I'll be proved wrong??

So needless to say, you can guess what I've got on order now! :D:D:D:D:D

be interesting to see these two sets pitched against each other.

and ignore the price.

I'm very much in favor of the Pio. You might be able to find a few specific things that Panny does better, but overall, while they are the nearest competitor, they just don't match up. Panny makes for great value sets in the lower ranges, but I just don't see the justification of paying around the same price for a Panny, when you can get a Pioneer.

Be interesting to see what this is like against a FULL HD projector set up

IMHO: If it's a decent projector and it's properly set up, it will blow the plasmas away in every single aspect other than absolute black level.

I just don't see the justification of paying around the same price for a Panny, when you can get a Pioneer.

Exactly! :devil:

"I just don't see the justification of paying around the same price for a Panny, when you can get a Pioneer."

The Panny can be had online now for about £1850 (probably come down more in a few months) and comes with a 5 year warranty if purchased before end of July. With the Pioneer speakers and stand adding around another £400 to the average asking price of £2500 this makes the Pioneer come in at around £2900 which works out at over a £1000 (around £1400 if you take into account the 5 year warranty) more than the G9 Pioneer at the moment which is hardly around the same price - The then 50" G9 works out considerably more expensive.

Cnet USA rated the 50PZ800 very highly giving it one of its best ever scores and said it had better and more accurate colours than the Kuro's but not quite matching the black levels but it was next to impossible to tell the blacks apart unless you were in a totally dark room - that was against a G8 Kuro. Based on that, it stands to reason that the new G9's will be better than the 50PZ800 - whether the difference is worth between a £1000 - £1400 depends on the individual I guess!

Suave!

"I just don't see the justification of paying around the same price for a Panny, when you can get a Pioneer."

The Panny can be had online now for about £1850 (probably come down more in a few months) and comes with a 5 year warranty if purchased before end of July. With the Pioneer speakers and stand adding around another £400 to the average asking price of £2500 this makes the Pioneer come in at around £2900 which works out at over a £1000 (around £1400 if you take into account the 5 year warranty) more than the G9 Pioneer at the moment which is hardly around the same price - The then 50" G9 works out considerably more expensive.

Cnet USA rated the 50PZ800 very highly giving it one of its best ever scores and said it had better and more accurate colours than the Kuro's but not quite matching the black levels but it was next to impossible to tell the blacks apart unless you were in a totally dark room - that was against a G8 Kuro. Based on that, it stands to reason that the new G9's will be better than the 50PZ800 - whether the difference is worth between a £1000 - £1400 depends on the individual I guess!

Suave!

Well I have tested the 2 together, put the 800 on the TLC shootout wall next to the 5090, and the Panny PF10, basically the PZ800 did not last the day cuz it completly spoilt the demo as it just did not match any of the others in terms of colour accuracy. SD performance, like the PZ 80/85 is weak and IMHO think the CNET reviewer must have been p....d cuz for the life of me I could not get colour any where near accurate, The Panny PF10 knocks it for 6, far better in every respect, except black levels the the PZ800 is slightly better. BUT the Pioneer LX508 has better blacks than the PZ800, THEN next to the 5090 that knocks the PZ800 for 20!!!.

A 5090 with stand and speaker is about £2700, is it worth the difference, well I agree with Suave, its up to you, but so far EVERYONE I've met has not hesitated.

I'm sorry but this analagy has been done time and time again, it is like comparing an award winning Ford Modeo to an award winning BMW 5.

Both will do the same thing, just one does better and in a more refined higher quality way, the BM has better build, better performance has more accurate road handling AND costs more.

Not everone can afford a BM, not everyone thinks the difference between the two, not everyone thinks the difference is worth it. The Mondeo IS a fine car in its class, so is the Panny 800 BUT the 5090 IS in a different class, and the sooner people stop comparing like for like then the easier the choice will be, the Panny PF10 is the one to compare to the 5090 NOT the PZ's.

In the Mondeo class (PZ800) you have a large number of manufacturers slugging it out for a large number of buyers, in the BMW class (5090) you have 3 Audi, BMW, Merc. We have the Panny PF10 and the 5090, we used to have the Fujitsu!!!

Right now you should be comparing the PZ800 against the 508XD, thats closer but even though the 508XD is a 768 panel as IMHO I would still buy a 508XD/5080XD against the PZ800 because the overall performance IS better than a PZ800, SD is 30/40% better, HD detail is about 1 to 2% inferior on the Pio FROM about 5 inches away with a static picture, but at a normal viewing distance with normal content on correctly set up TV's, not having 1080p is a non issue.

But dont take my word for it, dont take the words of review, you HAVE to go see for yourself and YOU have to be the judge, not me, not anyone else, which EVER one ends up in you houses that IS the right choice to satisfy your requirements and YOUR pocket.

Like anything in life there are things we would like to have but may be unable too, and this is no different.

I want a dedicated home cinema room with a projector and the £15,000 of speakers that are currently in the TLC projector dem room (as of yesterday) I have to make do with my £6000 speaker system for now,

But one thing is absolutly certain, the £15,000 system is superior to my £6000 one!!!

Last edited:
Well I have tested the 2 together, put the 800 on the TLC shootout wall next to the 5090, and the Panny PF10, basically the PZ800 did not last the day cuz it completly spoilt the demo as it just did not match any of the others in terms of colour accuracy. SD performance, like the PZ 80/85 is weak and IMHO think the CNET reviewer must have been p....d cuz for the life of me I could not get colour any where near accurate, The Panny PF10 knocks it for 6, far better in every respect, except black levels the the PZ800 is slightly better. BUT the Pioneer LX508 has better blacks than the PZ800, THEN next to the 5090 that knocks the PZ800 for 20!!!.

A 5090 with stand and speaker is about £2700, is it worth the difference, well I agree with Suave, its up to you, but so far EVERYONE I've met has not hesitated.

I'm sorry but this analagy has been done time and time again, it is like comparing an award winning Ford Modeo to an award winning BMW 5.

Both will do the same thing, just one does better and in a more refined higher quality way, the BM has better build, better performance has more accurate road handling AND costs more.

Not everone can afford a BM, not everyone thinks the difference between the two, not everyone thinks the difference is worth it. The Mondeo IS a fine car in its class, so is the Panny 800 BUT the 5090 IS in a different class, and the sooner people stop comparing like for like then the easier the choice will be, the Panny PF10 is the one to compare to the 5090 NOT the PZ's.

In the Mondeo class (PZ800) you have a large number of manufacturers slugging it out for a large number of buyers, in the BMW class (5090) you have 3 Audi, BMW, Merc. We have the Panny PF10 and the 5090, we used to have the Fujitsu!!!

Right now you should be comparing the PZ800 against the 508XD, thats closer but even though the 508XD is a 768 panel as IMHO I would still buy a 508XD/5080XD against the PZ800 because the overall performance IS better than a PZ800, SD is 30/40% better, HD detail is about 1 to 2% inferior on the Pio FROM about 5 inches away with a static picture, but at a normal viewing distance with normal content on correctly set up TV's, not having 1080p is a non issue.

But dont take my word for it, dont take the words of review, you HAVE to go see for yourself and YOU have to be the judge, not me, not anyone else, which EVER one ends up in you houses that IS the right choice to satisfy your requirements and YOUR pocket.

Like anything in life there are things we would like to have but may be unable too, and this is no different.

I want a dedicated home cinema room with a projector and the £15,000 of speakers that are currently in the TLC projector dem room (as of yesterday) I have to make do with my £6000 speaker system for now,

But one thing is absolutly certain, the £15,000 system is superior to my £6000 one!!!

At last!! a sensible answer to the Pio -v- Panny debate.........:smashin:

The US PZ800 is incredibly different to the UK model as many have stated time and time again. The US one has a THX mode which basically puts the TV into out the box settings far better than the Pioneers movie mode.

UK PZ800s don't have this option, so you're still going to be stuck with hugely oversaturated green, I imagine.

thank you for your responses gents, i do know the pioneer is the premium option, and so tempting i think i will.

Just what to do with the TH46PZ85 , shame you can't p/x like you can a mondeo against a beemer lol

RobertWhyte link now priced at £1,999.99

Hi,

Looks like they have put it up again! Sorry about that - Some folk must have got a pretty good deal while it lasted!

Suave!

RobertWhyte link now priced at £1,999.99

Thank god for that, I was pretty peeved reading that as I have had one pre-ordered with Av-sales for some time at around £2k. Mind you I am not getting the 5 year warranty with mine either and I understood the key condition of this warranty (as stipulated by Panny themselves) was that you had to collect the screen.

It's bad enough having been reading on here that the PZ800 is not all that great compared to the 'opposition' :(

Mind you I keep telling myself that those lovely new Pioneers are simply out of reach and that maybe I have got something akin to the best of the rest.
A friend has a TH46-PZ80 and I am pretty impressed with that, not least in view of it being from the entry level range.

I am looking for a 50 inch plasma TV and both of these screens fit the bill. I am hoping that those with far more intuition can guide me towards which one would be the better buy.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Many thanks

All seems moot surely. The Panny is available for about £1200, the Pio is about £2,800 inc some speakers and a stand.

Like comparing apples and oranges surely.

I think like Bumptious said, go view em, that's the key, the Pio WILL be better, and only your wallet can decide if the extra is worth it to you personally.

All seems moot surely. The Panny is available for about £1200, the Pio is about £2,800 inc some speakers and a stand.

Like comparing apples and oranges surely.

The Panny you have seen for £1200 will definitely be either the TH50-PZ80 or else a typo for the TH50-PZ800 as there is no way you'll be able to get your hands on the 800 for half of the RRP. :eek:

But I do agree regarding your point of it being like comparing apples and oranges, the Pioneer is a whole heap more cash and for many it will simply be unattainable. Pity though, as if the cost factor were not an issue then the Pioneer would be a complete no brainer. :)

For anyone looking to pick up a PZ800 (not many once they have read this thread I guess :() they are now reaching stores.

I received a phone call from a nice lady at Av-Sales earlier on to say that mine had turned up. Sounds like Panasonic had not warned them when to expect the sets and they just had a delivery turn up...

I have arranged delivery for Friday as I've booked the day off in order for someone to be there when it arrives.
Getting up the stairs and round the bannister at the top should be a bit of a challenge (I live on the first floor..).

The Panny you have seen for £1200 will definitely be either the TH50-PZ80 or else a typo for the TH50-PZ800 as there is no way you'll be able to get your hands on the 800 for half of the RRP. :eek:

But I do agree regarding your point of it being like comparing apples and oranges, the Pioneer is a whole heap more cash and for many it will simply be unattainable. Pity though, as if the cost factor were not an issue then the Pioneer would be a complete no brainer. :)

My bad, yup seems to be closer to £2k, although somebody was doing it for £1,400 which I guess was a temporary error, although £2k for Panny , £2.8 for the Pio, the gap is definatley closing.

Well what can I say, I received my Brand New Panasonic TH50PZ800, I upgraded to this set after only having the TH46PZ85 for less than a week:mad:

I didn't like the "Cheap" Black plastic bezel, (Piano Black it might be lol) but viewing on mine at the right angles it looked all crinkled and distorted, i.e. when it was assembled or by the heat in the moulding process, it was bugging me so it had to go, mind you the picture was excellent!

The new set is slightly bigger as you can't get the PZ800 in a 46 inch model? and I didn't want to go back down to 42 inch:(

What can I say, the picture quality is excellent :D and the sound is a lot better too.

I much prefer the styling of the PZ800, at least being glass, its not all crinkled lol.

I do miss the extra HDMI being on the side under the flap though, bit of a waste sticking it on the front, as you don't really want a cable coming out the front of the tele :rolleyes:

I have also sorted out my problem with the Viera Link working? if you have SKY HD connected via its HDMI cable it don't work :eek:

Apparently we need to "CUT" (pin 13 CEC connection) in the HDMI cable which goes to the Sky HD Box!!, a job for tomorrow now lol

Another silly question is the PZ85 had 5 fans :eek:, the 50PZ800 has only 4 lol but it uses more power?? explain that one Panasonic????

Last edited:
pauls898 and anyone else that has been lucky enough to get their hands on a TH50PZ800 already I'd be interested to hear as much feedback as you can provide. I have to wait for mine until Friday (had to book a day off) but at least I now have a definite date rather than simply not knowing.
:)

Well what can I say, I received my Brand New Panasonic TH50PZ800, I upgraded to this set after only having the TH46PZ85 for less than a week:mad:

I didn't like the "Cheap" Black plastic bezel, (Piano Black it might be lol) but viewing on mine at the right angles it looked all crinkled and distorted, i.e. when it was assembled or by the heat in the moulding process, it was bugging me so it had to go, mind you the picture was excellent!

The new set is slightly bigger as you can't get the PZ800 in a 46 inch model? and I didn't want to go back down to 42 inch:(

What can I say, the picture quality is excellent :D and the sound is a lot better too.

I much prefer the styling of the PZ800, at least being glass, its not all crinkled lol.

I do miss the extra HDMI being on the side under the flap though, bit of a waste sticking it on the front, as you don't really want a cable coming out the front of the tele :rolleyes:

I have also sorted out my problem with the Viera Link working? if you have SKY HD connected via its HDMI cable it don't work :eek:

Apparently we need to "CUT" (pin 13 CEC connection) in the HDMI cable which goes to the Sky HD Box!!, a job for tomorrow now lol

Another silly question is the PZ85 had 5 fans :eek:, the 50PZ800 has only 4 lol but it uses more power?? explain that one Panasonic????

The Pin 13 issue should have been fixed by Sky, certainly has been with the Pioneer sets, have you got the latest firmware on your sky box.

I got my pz800 on Friday and it looks stunning but some of the controls I wanted where not there and I really hate the Intelligent Frame Creation , I just cant live with it , its like watching real life in true 3D which I think destroys the feel of the movie , but the 1080 24p playback is faultless , no judder or flicker , I think its playing at about 90hz

Not sure what the Digital Cinema Colour or the P-NR is doing thou they don’t seem to do anything , but that does not matter because the picture is the best I’ve ever seen , the blacks are inky , the colour pops and the clarity of detail is just jaw dropping when the source allows . Im so impressed with this TV

I’m not sure if this will work but ill try to post a couple of pics taken from my mobile phone , they are pretty poor quality tbh this TV is a beauty

315bd77.jpg

2i8x6yh.jpg

973epx.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom