Help - Sky/Freesat explanation

Pipco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Have checked FAQ's

New to SateliteTV is it possible for a - no offence - non tech answer to what is difference between the following?

Sky TV £75 installed fron John Lewis
Sky Freesat £150?
Freesat £150?

Many thanks
Phil

Sky TV £75 installed fron John Lewis = Sky box and dish + monthly payments for packages that you add.
Sky Freesat £150? = Sky box and dish, no more monthly payments so basically free sat.
Freesat £150? = New service which will include ITVHD later and a far greater choice of boxes. PVR boxes to be released very soon also worth getting the HD version if you have any form of LCD/Plasma that has HDMI inputs.
http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Hi

Have checked FAQ's

New to SateliteTV is it possible for a - no offence - non tech answer to what is difference between the following?

Sky TV £75 installed fron John Lewis
Sky Freesat £150?
Freesat £150?

Many thanks
Phil

I imagine Sky tv installed for £75 provides dish, sky box and installation of a sky subscription service with a monthly charge starting at around £16

Sky Freesat £150 will provide Sky's no subscription, nothing more to pay system complete with around 250 channels of tv and radio. The alternative to freeview through a conventional tv aerial but with many more channels. This option is often available on special offer for reduced price via supermarkets etc

Freesat £150 I imagine is the new BBC/ITV offering, similar to sky freesat. Only just available and with limited channels at this time, but will by the autumn include BBC HD and ITV HD channels without extra monthly charge (but with a higher box price)

I imagine Sky tv installed for £75 provides dish, sky box and installation of a sky subscription service with a monthly charge starting at around £16

Sky Freesat £150 will provide Sky's no subscription, nothing more to pay system complete with around 250 channels of tv and radio. The alternative to freeview through a conventional tv aerial but with many more channels. This option is often available on special offer for reduced price via supermarkets etc

Freesat £150 I imagine is the new BBC/ITV offering, similar to sky freesat. Only just available and with limited channels at this time, but will by the autumn include BBC HD and ITV HD channels without extra monthly charge (but with a higher box price)

BBCHD exists now/today.

'Freesat from Sky' and 'Freesat' (BBC/ITV) are different in that whilst the channels available to watch is the same, the actual EPG (Electronic Program Guide) and the way you interact with the service is different and exclusive to each party. This is the Red Button vote now type stuff.

Some of the EPG infomation for Freesat is supposed to be unique to them and not available to other none freesat tuners. Although with the lack of any encryption the channel should still be available.

HTH

V.

No! The "Pay Once Watch Forever" payment of £75 includes STB, Installation and 3 months of 4-Mix worth of Sky subscription TV.

There is no commitment to continue payments at the end of 3 months - BUT you have to also actively cancel!

Ok - so am I correct that value for money at the moment SkyTV is the best bet? As from the replies it seems an HD upgrade is needed for Freesat in the future.

Do all the systems use same dish and position?

Thanks
Phil

Ok - so am I correct that value for money at the moment SkyTV is the best bet? As from the replies it seems an HD upgrade is needed for Freesat in the future.

Do all the systems use same dish and position?

Thanks
Phil

Sky TV is only vaue for money if you want to pay for the additional content via ongoing subscriptions. There are 18 HD channels on Sky, but only two available on Freesat right now.

If you're happy with the free channels, e.g. your currently quite happy with Freeviews offering, the Freesat is the way to go.

You can get an HD Freesat box right now, but there is no record function available. This is the PVR 'upgrade' for the future that's coming, the equivalent of Sky +.

The same dish and position will work with both systems.

ATB

Max

SKY with subscriptions = SD only (NO HD, NO PVR)
SKY+ with subscriptions = SD only (NO HD)
SKY HD = subsriptions + £10 per month extra for HD (inc PVR).
SKY Freesat = NO PVR functions, SD only
Freesat = PVR functions soon (dependant on you choice of box), HD available at no extra costs. Greater choice of boxes.

If I was choosing today (and connecting to a LCD/Plasma) and wanted the equivilent of freeview and PVR functions I would go with Freesat (HD Version) and wait for the new PVR boxes. If I wanted sports channels and movies then I would choose SKYHD. If you own a LCD with built in freeview (no HD required) and thats all you want then I would just make sure I had a good aerial fitted and use that. Do not see any need for Sat services at all.
Remember Sky freesat may give you 250 channels but 240 of them are total crap, all the good ones can be found on standard freeview.

Thanks for all the info. As both our LCD's have Freeview built in - and often cannot find anything to watch - it would seem that it's a wait and see approach.

Although - from what research I have done - as the SkyTV includes installation it might be worth a punt.

The link was most helpful

Thanks
Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom