5yr old Sky dish ok for FreeSat HD?

pthomas

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Sky dish on which I replaced the downlead with CT-125. (Single LNB)

Should this work straight away with a FreeSat receiver? (USed to get almost full signal strength/quality on Sky)

And can anyone recommend a FreeSat receiver and where from?

It all depends if the dish has moved over the years or the LNB has sustained any damage, they are both exposed to the elements after all so it really is 50/50:)

Just borrow a friends STB for a few minutes and see if it works and if so then buy yourself a Freesat box, as for the Freesat box then a number of threads are used by people with boxes already in use so they could tell you in more detail.

there are only 2 ways to find out, borrow a sat metre or a satellite receiver. The sat metre would have to be one that identifies different satellites as opposed to one that gives a signal reading

We only removed the old Sky box 6 months ago so I will assume it is ok. (I have two spare dishes and more cable in the loft anyway)

We only removed the old Sky box 6 months ago so I will assume it is ok. (I have two spare dishes and more cable in the loft anyway)

got my humax a few hours ago - straight swap with the old skybox (which I was using as a "Freesat from Sky" box), connected it by HDMI (there is one in the box as well), a quick software update and channel search - wham bam thank ya mam.

The humax shows a better signal from the satdish that the old sky grundig box.

My sky dish was installed ~6 years ago

Mine was installed around 99 to 2000, picked up a quad lnb from B and Q, no ladder so dangerously hung out of the bedroom window, straight swap and ll working fine, even had to smack the old lnb out and the dish was all over the shot, amazingly didnt move out of line, must be rusted in that position!

Lee

got my humax a few hours ago - straight swap with the old skybox (which I was using as a "Freesat from Sky" box), connected it by HDMI (there is one in the box as well), a quick software update and channel search - wham bam thank ya mam.

The humax shows a better signal from the satdish that the old sky grundig box.

My sky dish was installed ~6 years ago

Did you get freesat or freesat hd?

I was looking at one today in Comet and the geezer in there insisted it would not work with a Sky dish, and I would need the £80 installation along with the £150.

Clearly he was either trying it on, or didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Typical Comet, I suppose.

I was looking at one today in Comet and the geezer in there insisted it would not work with a Sky dish, and I would need the £80 installation along with the £150.

Clearly he was either trying it on, or didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Typical Comet, I suppose.

They're having you on and/or are clueless...

Our dish has been up for over 10 years and our Humax box was plugged into it last night with no problem. Best bet is to buy the box and try it at home. If it doesn't work then you can still get the installation afterwards.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom