THX Living Room DIY

Kryptix

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My step-dad is decorating his front room and I've decided to take a few pictures of how it transforms...

Bought a new Pioneer 60" KURO, Tannoy wall and ceiling speakers (7.1), Quad 22L's fronts and centre, and a Quad L2 subwoofer.

Also going to be running the required cables for a projector for the future.

Going to have 2 false walls, and a false ceiling.

Should look pretty nice when done -- looking for comments as always!

Unfortunately, no pictures of before but it was just a CRT setup! Nothing amazing!

This is the rear wall. There was a chimbley there before, but that has been knocked down prepared for the false wall build:

16042008045.jpg

This is where the front will be. The cupboard is going to be an entrance to the AV gear from behind. The cupboard has been knocked through and extended. The door to the right is the entrance to the hallway, and that door frame has just been built as it was in a completely different place before:

16042008046.jpg

Ceiling ripped down, and sound deaden'd, ready for false ceiling build:

16042008049.jpg

Some of the lighting that will be in the room:

16042008050.jpg

Rear false wall being built... Holes and cable left for the Tannoy in-wall speakers:

004.jpg

003.jpg

And plaster boarded up:

007.jpg

Began plastering:

009.jpg

Nearly done:

010.jpg

Speakers fitted so they can be run in (and provide music for the rest of the build). These sound absolutely superb for rears:

015.jpg

016.jpg

False ceiling being built. It's going to be lower either side, and higher in the centre (in line with the TV and speakers):

007.jpg

006.jpg

Looking good, what's the overall size off the room

It's difficult to tell from the photos

It's very small (even smaller now with the false builds!).

I'll get it measured today for you.

We've not be able to decorate it until now, as we didn't have another room other than the kitchen, but he built a big conservatory so it could finally be done! Should look a lot nicer soon!

EDIT: Just checked and it was 4m by 4m, and with the false walls it will be 3.8m by 4m.

Centre ceiling has been plastered... I'll get some pictures tomorrow. :cool:

Is the center ceiling having any features, i.e a lighting trough

In our workshop at the moment were casting a 2.6 meter diameter sunken ceiling feature

Sorry for the lack of updates -- been very busy!

We've now scrubbed the idea of the 50" KURO and gone and ordered a Pioneer PDP-LX608D 60-inch 1080p KURO. :smashin:

Realistically the room is too small for a projector, and it seems pointless spending thousands just to get a 77" projected image -- might as well spend a tad more on a bigger panel.

045.jpg

047.jpg

Next was to hard wall either side (an absolute pain because the walls are so uneven), and to finish plastering the ceiling and walls:

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

You can see that the AV rack is starting to form shape:

006-1.jpg

Comments welcomed. :cool:

Which Tannoy Speakers are you using? Also how much space did you leave (if any) as a back box? It looks quite tight on the shots of the wall before the speakers were fitted.

I'm just wondering as I'm thinking of fitting some in-wall speakers in our new living room referb and all the web sites I've looked on, go on about using a 20-60 litre back box in the wall to aid sound reproduction. Rear space is tight, I only have about 100mm total depth to play with, so if you manged to get good sound without a backbox, I can get 7.1 surround and the wife gets a 'bird-box' free living room :D

Which Tannoy Speakers are you using? Also how much space did you leave (if any) as a back box? It looks quite tight on the shots of the wall before the speakers were fitted.

I'm just wondering as I'm thinking of fitting some in-wall speakers in our new living room referb and all the web sites I've looked on, go on about using a 20-60 litre back box in the wall to aid sound reproduction. Rear space is tight, I only have about 100mm total depth to play with, so if you manged to get good sound without a backbox, I can get 7.1 surround and the wife gets a 'bird-box' free living room :D
They're Tannoy IW6DS's. The catalogue recommends at least 90mm spacing behind the speakers. Our false wall is 102mm. :)

Thanks for the info. One more small question, did you use the optional steel back cans?

Wish I had as many elves helping me with my build.

035.jpg

022.jpg

026.jpg

023.jpg

Some paint and lighting being installed...

IMG_1240Medium.jpg

IMG_1241Medium.jpg

IMG_1244Medium.jpg

Oh and a little parcel arrived...

IMG_1249Medium.jpg

IMG_1253Medium.jpg

IMG_1246Medium.jpg

pioneer 60"
awesome mate you wont get better
ive had 3 pioneers you def wont regret it:)

Great plasma, not to sure about the stand

:D

Bit of a scare with the lights -- all working perfectly now. :)

019.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

Getting ready for the false wall...

031.jpg

025.jpg

...and home-made wall bracket in progress:

030.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom