Heads Up! Firmware upgrade for V1 Routers

Billy Hunt

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up for all those that have either flashed or swapped their V1 routers.
Sky are rolling out a firmware upgrade on all the V1 routers (the white ones)

All routers that fail the upgrade will be investigated as to why it hasn't happened and it won't happen to the ones that have been flashed with the netgear firmware or aren't using the supplied router (obviously) :rolleyes:
If there is a genuine reason why it hasn't worked or it killed your router you will get a new one.
If you are found to have flashed the router or are not using it you could have your account suspended for breaking skys T & C's

The upgrade has already started and will be rolled out on a exchange by exchange basis of around 100,000 users a week.

If your using any other router i.e. the black ones you won't be affected

Just a quick heads up for all those that have either flashed or swapped their V1 routers.

All routers that fail the upgrade will be investigated as to why it hasn't happened and it won't happen to the ones that have been flashed with the netgear firmware or aren't using the supplied router (obviously) :rolleyes:
If there is a genuine reason why it hasn't worked or it killed your router you will get a new one.
If you are found to have flashed the router or are not using it you could have your account suspended for breaking skys T & C's

The upgrade has already started and will be rolled out on a exchange by exchange basis of around 100,000 users a week.

Oh Dear, just when i was enjoying 3 wks of broadband heaven (no lost connection rebooting switching off/on) since 11/06,and was going to thank Chrisoldinho/Blisteringblue, won't sky's firmware just overwrite the current firmware and reset to their standards, Anyway i can only get 4mb of the 16mb paid for, and if things get nasty can take my business elsewhere,Brian.

I know how you feel, early reports are the new firmware is a lot better and solves the problems of the current version.

:rotfl: - you can't update a router remotely so that is a load of nonsense

Oh Dear, just when i was enjoying 3 wks of broadband heaven (no lost connection rebooting switching off/on) since 11/06,and was going to thank Chrisoldinho/Blisteringblue, won't sky's firmware just overwrite the current firmware and reset to their standards, Anyway i can only get 4mb of the 16mb paid for, and if things get nasty can take my business elsewhere,Brian.

Don't mention it mate. By the way the Modified firmware that I created will not be upgradeable through Sky's roll out. If you are still with Sky then you may be in breach of the T&C's and it may be worth seeing if you can find a legit firmware again - a good place to look for this would be on www.skyuser.co.uk

However, if you are oustide of the 1st 12 month contract your free to do what you want.

It' also worth mentioning that the roll out by Sky's firmware updates the software to the version prior to the one I created from the Netgear site - so in other words it's not that much of a revelation and I would opt to use Netgear's firmware wherever possible.

Chris.

However, if you are oustide of the 1st 12 month contract your free to do what you want.

Is that right?
I know the 12 month contract thing applies to Set top boxes to watch TV but I've never heard of it before about the router.

If that is the case then there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Personally the current Sky firmware has worked fine for me I just hope it doesn't mess it up

Thank you all for your help, I am out the 12mts broadband contract and will wait to see what happens,Brian.

To be honest in my opinion you should be able to put whatever Firmware you want on the Router as Netgear make the Firmware under the GNU/GPL so anyone can modify it (they actually enourage it), essentially this is all Sky have done, therefore I see no reason why you can't modify the Firmware to your hearts content.

To be honest in my opinion you should be able to put whatever Firmware you want on the Router as Netgear make the Firmware under the GNU/GPL so anyone can modify it (they actually enourage it), essentially this is all Sky have done, therefore I see no reason why you can't modify the Firmware to your hearts content.

What your opinion is and what Skys T&Cs say are two different things.
We'll just have to wait and see what they do.

I just found this posted in skyuser forum which looks as though it's from a Sky employee
Sky are keeping tracks on who has upgraded. If they find you arent upgrading after a certain time, they will investigate why. If its found that you are using an 3rd party router, or that you have flashed the sky one with non-sky firmware, you'll be held responsible for damaging the box, and will possibly have your broadband suspended. Just a thought
Which is what I'd been told

:rotfl: - you can't update a router remotely so that is a load of nonsense

I think they might - they can definitely access your router to change it as I had a sky tech amend the download speed (to max 12mb) when I had a fault with intermittent connection. It's now a permanent change on the router config.

He was even reading out the stats from the router as it was connected.

The Skys T&Cs state that the box belongs to you as soon as you get it. You do not have to use a Sky router to use teh Sky service. The point of the T&Cs in this case is to clear Sky of any resonsibilty of damage to the Sky router should they upgrade it on top of your upgrade\modification.

If you have changed the admin password then Sky cannot access it remotely anyway.

And why on earth would Sky quit a 12 month contract with you just because a router died. At worst they would just expect you to purchase another one.

Talk about scare mongering.

Don't mention it mate. By the way the Modified firmware that I created will not be upgradeable through Sky's roll out. If you are still with Sky then you may be in breach of the T&C's and it may be worth seeing if you can find a legit firmware again - a good place to look for this would be on www.skyuser.co.uk

It' also worth mentioning that the roll out by Sky's firmware updates the software to the version prior to the one I created from the Netgear site - so in other words it's not that much of a revelation and I would opt to use Netgear's firmware wherever possible.

Chris.

Have managed to find sky's original firmware, reset the router so panic over, begs the question if it could overwrite your firmware why would the new firmware not do the same, if the new firmware still has problems can always do the same again and put yours back in, Brian.

begs the question if it could overwrite your firmware why would the new firmware not do the same, if the new firmware still has problems can always do the same again and put yours back in, Brian.

That's where the clever part is ;) Try to do an upgrade from the Netgear web site and it won't do it, it's because Sky's firmware cannot be erased unless you use the Recovery Utility. What I did was create a firmware that the Router believed was a legitimate Sky update (therefore let it update no problems) yet infact it was nothing but a repackaged Netgear Firmware from the Netgear web site. I did this because a lot of people cannot get the recovery utility to work and want a fiddle free way of using the Router with any ISP. Unfortunately, as it's still identified as Sky Router technically you still wouldn't be able to upgrade via the Netgear web site and everytime a new Firmware became available I would need to recompile a modified Netgear Firmware which would be identified OK for the Sky Router - The Automatic Router upgrade however is one of the parts which gets overwritten so if you'd of stayed on 1.0.2.14 Firmware you'd never of got the upgrade, the only way to do this is to go back to the 1.0.2.28 custom Firmware from Sky :)

Hope this makes sense.

Oh and to answer a previous poster the new Sky firmware version is 1.0.3.87 :)

But it's still not as good as the 1.0.2.14 Firmware in my opinion from Netgear as it uses an older ADSL Driver.

Chris.

I think they might - they can definitely access your router to change it as I had a sky tech amend the download speed (to max 12mb) when I had a fault with intermittent connection. It's now a permanent change on the router config.

He was even reading out the stats from the router as it was connected.

These are settings and readings from the dslam on your port, not from your router.

Well looks like I changed the firmware back in time, router now updated (V1.03.87) once again thanks for all the info,Brian.

The Skyuser forums have got hold of the new firmware to upgrade your self
I've just done mine and all looks good so far!

Can anyone who has done it confirm that it's possible to use the recovery method to get back to netgear version 14 via version 4?

Thank for info mine has just been upgraded if anybody want to check you can check it at this site just scroll down to netgear and click on the link

old firmware was 1.02.28 New is 1.03.87

usere name admin
password sky

My firmware has upgraded but now i am not connectable in ut.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom