HDMI Converter Box for PS3......?

caleini

Established Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is in the wrong place (please move if need be)

Does anyone know of, or any reasons why it cant be done.......!!!

Is there not a converter box that can convert the HDMI output into 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs for use with older amps without HDMI connectivity ?

So what I'm thinking is HDMI out of the PS3 into a "box" that will have 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs and with HDMI pass through for picture. Thus getting DolbyHD etc... Rather than being stuck with optical only...

Or am I missing some massive technical issue(probably) why this cant be done?

Just thought there must be lots of guys out there that have superb amplifiers they have spent a fortune getting like the Denon AVC A1 for instance only to have to junk them just because of HDMI.

Cheers :)

Technically doable I suppose but the problem is only caused by starting with the PS3 as there are plenty of HD players out there that have either 5.1 or 7.1 outputs, it is just the PS3 that lacks them.

I've yet to see any 'box' deliver a solution that splits off the audio and leaves the signal on HDMI though so I suspect the thought is that there are not that many people willing to pay enough for this when they could just as easily buy a player that did it for them.

Hello caleini

I know of Two design teams working on just the solution your after :)

The silicon to enable this functionality has just been released - along with the 10K USD Licence fee you have to pay to get the source code.

I expect to see a relatively inexpensive working solution in the next three months.

Best regards

Joe

Good news Joe :)

Let's hope they are aiming to split out 7.1 as that would give them a wider audience as there are a lot more players doing 5.1 analogue than there are offering the full 7.1 analogue.

Hi Joe,

Do you think that there will be somethng released soon for the video to allow dual simultanious output of video, both hdmi and component out at the same time?

Hello flamingoboo

A 'Naughty Box/Analogue Converter' with HDMI Pass Thru - I haven't spoken to anyone who's currently developing that Product.

The guys who have been doing Naughty Box's for the longest period are talking about supply of the required chips drying up in 2008!!!

You can achieve your goal using an HDMI 1x2 DA + a Naughty Box/Analogue Converter on one of the Outputs of the DA.

Joe

Hello caleini

I know of Two design teams working on just the solution your after :)

The silicon to enable this functionality has just been released - along with the 10K USD Licence fee you have to pay to get the source code.

I expect to see a relatively inexpensive working solution in the next three months.

Best regards

Joe

This is great news! :thumbsup:

It would be perfect for my Tag dp32 5.1 inputs. :clap:

Cheers
/Bogi

Any sign of these boxes yet? Dont wanna ditch my Pioneer AX10 just for HD audio....

yeah, I too would be interested to know the status of this... :)

Hello all

Its being worked on - will let you know as soon as I have any updates available.

Joe

Joe,

Will this take more than one HDMI input? Something like a 3x1 or 4x1 switch with the analogue 7.1 outputs.

Rob.

Hello Rob100

I know of two teams looking at a 'Solution' for the PS3 audio - one unit will be single Input the other will have multiple Inputs; possibly with the option to select 'decoded' HDMI or 7.1 Analogue 'Pass Thru' Audio per Input!

Joe

Just wanted to add that I just found these forums and I would love such an item as long as it was reasonably priced. The only other thing I found was a box for $400 from genfan, but it had way more than I need with inbuilt amps and speaker outs. Obviously Sony will never put this out, but many of us just want a simple converter to go from HDMI to 5.1/7.1 analog for all the possibilities of HD-Audio.

Anyways I am glad to hear more groups are working on this and will wait patiently. :thumbsup:

Hi Joe any news on these converter boxes? Dont want to ditch my AX10 just yet so I can have the new HD sound formats. :hiya:

I would love one of these when they become available too :cool:

Bump for an update. Anyone seen/heard of anything other than the gefen product? At $400 with in built amps that thing is total overkill. Looking for something that splits the signal and thats it. The ps3 decodes the signal internally so that should make the device less complicated?

It just bugs the crap out of me that this has been overlooked, as there are plenty of people with multi-channel analog receivers who are looking at the ps3 as a blu-ray player.

Looking for something that splits the signal and thats it.

If that is all it did then it wouldn't be much of a solution.

The problem for most people with older amps that have 5.1/7/1 analogue inputs is that anything send via those inputs also by-passes the amps bass management and speaker distance adjustments.

That is why you'll see the better Blu-Ray players with 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs also offer those adjustments as well.

A box that does what you want may be available at some point, but without the other facilities as well you may not be that happy with the sound you get.

Hmm I appreciate your point. Regardless I still would very much like to see this product. The gefen product just isn't applicable at $400. The whole idea is to make it cheap enough that the money isn't better spent towards a new receiver.

I have considered getting a stand alone Blu-ray player instead, but I am not impressed by what you get at a similar price as the ps3. I could also use a blu-ray drive on my computer for extremely cheap, but I am not sure thats the route I want to go.

It just seems like a missed opportunity at the moment, given the number of people buying ps3's for Blu-ray play back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Toth

If its was as simple and straightforward as you imagine the market would be flooded by devices that achieve what you want - the fact that it isn't is an indicator that its not as straightforward as you imagine.

The first hurdle to cross being an additional 'Licence' Fee to the hardware developer that's around 10,000 USD (per annum) - you need to ensure your going to get the required returns before you start in on this project.

What price would you be willing to pay?

Joe

Hi and thanks for the response.

I admit I am bit naive on how this industry works, but I do appreciate what your saying. At the same time, spending $400 on such a converter is just silly, when with that money + the money I would get from selling my Denon I would only be likely a couple hundred dollars shy of the equivalent receiver with HDMI support.

However that seems unnecessary as I love everything else about my receiver. As it is I have used the ext in jacks on it with my rather beefy PC before with 5.1 HD audio and had excellent results.

So what would I pay? Thats a good question. Ideally I would like to pay $100 and would buy it without question, but I know thats probably unlikely to happen. At $150 I would probably struggle a bit, but still end up buying it. At $200 I would be interested but probably just decide to wait and see what happens. Anything above that would seem to me a waste of time (but then again I know there are others that are doing this to save $10k+).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom