DMR-EX77 + 42PX70 Viera Link problems

tronads

Standard Member
Reaction score
Argh, this is driving me mad....someone help me please !

Took delivery of a Panasonic DMR-EX77 today and connected it up to my Panasonic 42PX70 via HDMI in socket HDMI1.

The problem I am having is that the TV is automaticaly selecting the wrong HDMI port. When I press the Viera Link button on the TV remote, it offers me a "recorder", which I select, at which point HDMI2 is automaticaly selected on the TV, which of course is not the correct HDMI port. I then have to manualy select HDMI1 to get a picture and use the device.
If I change the socket to HDMI2 (which on the face of it sounds the easy answer), pressing the Viera Link button behaves as above, but then selects HDMI1 as the input, and again I have to manualy change it to HDMI2 to get a picture.

I have read the relevant parts of both manuals but am none the wiser....there is a bullet point in the TV manual that says "When using HDMI2 terminal of Viera as "HDAVI Control", set the input channel to HDMI2 on VIERA. I have a feeling this is relevant, but try as I might, all I can find on both devices is Viera ON or OFF, not a port selector.

Anyone ?
(ive also posted this in the plasma forum)

A Friend has exactly this problem. He's just got a new setup today and AUX loads fine to HDMI 1 but as soon as you go into DVD it changes the TV to HDMI 2....
Theres nothing plugged into the bloody socket so what IS it doing?
Tried 2 leads and all the settings we can find....
It just seems to change to the wrong channel.

No Luck so far... any help would be much appreciated!!

Pay particular note to the grey box on Column one, page 40 of the EX77 manual which is headed 'Preparation'.

Those steps must be processed... and note also that every time you change a connection or a setting - you must go through this preparation again.

Good luck.

I had looked at the preperation bit, but got stuck on part 3, which states :

Set the "HDAVI Control" operations on the connected equiptment (eg TV)

and then in Bold says :
When using HDMI2 terminal of VIERA as "HDAVI Control", set the input
channel to HDMI2 on Viera.

I cannot find anything in any menu's for HDAVI Control.

Also I wasted my money buying the official Pana HDMI lead, as it made no difference whatsoever, and nor did running the xbox through the other HDMI socket (which I hoped the TV would recognise wasnt the correct device when it changed to it).

I cannot find anything in any menu's for HDAVI Control.

Also I wasted my money buying the official Pana HDMI lead, as it made no difference whatsoever, and nor did running the xbox through the other HDMI socket (which I hoped the TV would recognise wasnt the correct device when it changed to it).

This selection sequence is part of the TV setup and is obviously thereafter remembered. It will have to be reset.

See the note on Page 40 of the TV Manual which says:

For the first time / When adding new equipment, reconnecting equipment or changing setup
After connection turn the equipment on and then switch the TV on.
Select the input mode to HDMI1 or HDMI2 (p. 16), and make sure that an image is displayed correctly.​

Hopefully once you have done that , it will be correct thereafter.

Just did the full reset, and after reconnecting etc as instructed......exactly the same
:-(
This is driving me mad now... Viera Link had better be worth it !

All I can suggest now is a full reset of the TV and then going through that procedure above again.

For reset to Shipping Condition see page 29 of the TV manual.

most strange your problems as my px70 goes to hmdi2 where the ex77 is,while the 360 is in hdmi1 and both seem ok.The tv works most (or all,am new user) of the recorders functions via viera link.This was straight from the box and I never altered anything?
Good luck anyhow :)

Unfortunately it was a full reset on the TV that I tried.

I have just received a reply from Panasonic (all credit to them for actualy responding), which unfortunately is not of any use :

"In order to provide you with a full response, I have taken the opportunity to consult with our resident technical support advisors. They have explained that the possible issue with the Viera link not functioning is the SKY unit due to the fact that they do not turn off pin 13 switching whilst the unit is in stand-by. We would suggest that you try disconnecting the Sky's HDMI lead and see if the Viera link works correctly at this point. If so, please reconnect Sky"

They have made the assumption that I have SkyHD, when in fact I havent.

I think my next move has to be to take the recorder round to a friends house and see if it does what it should there....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom