MacBook buying in New York

robzter

Established Member
Reaction score
Am off to NYC on saturday and want to pick up a macbook.will i have any trouble using it here? any tips or suggestions most welcome.
Im a newbie to Mac but i really want one.

Absolutely no problem to use it here. The power cord though will be the US 2 pin but thats no problem, just throw that top bit away and use any figure 8 cord like the ones on dvd players and hifi's which will plug right in.

As for the warranty... I got no idea, but that didnt bother me at all, have had my PB for 4 years and my Ipod for 2 all without a glitch!

Warranty is worldwide so nothing to worry about. bought a Macbook Pro in September while i was in Florida.

Not sure how long your going for but the apple store I visited said that given enough notice they could also get me one with a UK keyboard layout.

macs have worldwide warranty... Not sure if macs have the different layout keyboard....

sure be okay to use the different pins.... dno bout the transformer

from 100~110v to 200~220v there must be some kinda thing going on... tech these days detect the change and auto adjust but i'd make sure before u buy...

didnt know the keyboard layout was different. mmmm

It's not massively different, (@ key at shift 2, " above the right hand shift). You can remap the keys if you want, but it's never bothered me.

Mark.

I just returned from Hawaii and San Francisco, picked up a Macbook Pro in the San Francisco store on Stockton Street, and also purchased the World Wide travel adapter kit. Absolutely no problems with using in the US before I left and I have been using this at home for the last few days with no issues. Power adapter working fine, and WIFI, etc all behaving as they should. The warranty is a world wide warranty. Go for it, you won't regret the decision. I didn't!:clap:

im sold !!
also i cant wait to see the Apple store on 5th ave looks amazing... thanks guys.
:D

Apple Store on 5th is latest tourist attraction now...it's amazing, tons of people taking pics out the front.

jealous!

aAlto, its extremely busy, so if you want a decent chat with a sales adviser, and shorter queues, go along at 10pm or later - its open 24hrs!!

it may be worth seeing if there are any discount coupons available from stores like best buy and Circuit city. Saying this tho they are normally rebait discounts. I.E. you have to claim your discount after you have bought the product (you need a US address for this). Worth a try tho.

Try some sites like pricegrabber or dealcatcher.

I bought a refurbed macbook pro last march from the US apple internet store as my brother lives in the US. I got it back to the UK and had the display swapped as it had a fault. so yes, it definetley has a worldwide warrantee, tho the tele sales staff say that it isn't.

Muzzi

my UK MBP and my wireless old style mac keyboard both have an american-style layout (@ = shift+2 and "=shift+') - are there MBs out there with UK style layouts?

if there are I've never come across one, afaik all macs have the shift+2 for @ layout

It's not massively different, (@ key at shift 2, " above the right hand shift). You can remap the keys if you want, but it's never bothered me.

Mark.

Actually I find the UK vs US (including international English?) keyboards quite different.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilchristie/156439321/ for flickr photos of UK top and US in the comments.

Things of note:

1. Differently shaped return key. UK: Inverted L type shape. US: rectangular
2. Left-Shift. UK:small US: large
3. Placement of ~. UK: left of Z, US left of 1 (this is normal)
4. Placement of \. UK: left of return. US: above return
5. UK: shift-3 £, option-3 US: reverse?
6. UK: option-2 €. US: same?
7. UK: icons for shift, tab, caps, return, delete, enter. US: words instead

I use to have a powerbook with intl english keyboard (i.e., US) and now I'm on a UK macbook. I found that the first four changes took awhile to get use to.

aah, so they are, I stand by the fact that @ and " are in the same place though :) For people coming from the land of Doze thats the most difficult one to remember

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom