From A Different Angle !!

Rabfan8

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally, finally, finally got it finished! :clap:

So, I thought I'd share my set up....mainly because I had a few unusual challenges to overcome...and thought others might like to see how I got around them.

The issues were:-

1) Keeping the wife happy !!!;)
2) Room is 10.1mts X 6.2mts with high ceiling height and an unusual shape.
3) Due to the layout of the room, position of furniture etc….the seating position was at 45 degrees looking into a corner…..and the screen therefore needed to be in that corner.
4) Per Point 1) The screen had to be “invisible”
5) Per Point 1) The speakers had to be “very small & look nice”. So the compromise was the Bose setup (I know they’re not rated…but actually I’m quite happy with them given the rules of engagement)
6) No cabling to be visible
7) Lots of ambient light from 3 sets of patio doors, a large dining room leaking light in too, and a further glass door into the lounge.
8) A long throw for the projector – 5.8 mts from projector to screen
9) Per Point 1) Needed to make the "big ugly black box" sub look like a nice wooden cube…but that still had to be hidden out of sight.
10) Per Point 1) Final rule: Don't dare ruin my lounge !!! :suicide:

Anyway, all-in-all it came together, and I’m really thrilled with its performance. At night, watching a great movie with fantastic sound (Yamaha 757SE) on DTS ES surround sound, and a fantastic picture with the Z5….I’m well chuffed. Even my wife loves it! That’s a real result! :smashin:

I’m still new to this and have found this site to be invaluable. Many thanks to everyone whose contributions help make these projects possible for us amateurs. :thumbsup:

Ian

Attachments

• Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Back Left.jpg
    Back Left.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 526
  • Rear 1.jpg
    Rear 1.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 541
  • Rear Right.jpg
    Rear Right.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 499
  • Screen 2.jpg
    Screen 2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 649
  • Side - Left2.jpg
    Side - Left2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Screen 3.jpg
    Screen 3.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 627
  • Side Left.jpg
    Side Left.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 420
  • Side View Right.jpg
    Side View Right.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 472
  • Sub PDR-10.jpg
    Sub PDR-10.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 426
Thanks Recruit. I'm really pleased with it. A bit of tweaking on set-up still to do....but thanks to these forums, I'll have it cracked in no time!;)

What a luxurious room you have there. I know I should be commenting on the equipment and the set up, but I love the Piano you have there. I can't play piano and I have no interest in ever playing one, but I do love the look of them in a room.

Well done on a very nice set up which would pass most wife's tests!

all white room that:smashin: how cool is that piano.i always wanted a grand and yours is white.its always been on a wish list of mine,tho i know i will never get one.big thumbs up:thumbsup:

Hi Jamestay

are you Elton John by anychance ?

Not quite. I can assure you my wife is all woman....and her name is not David!!:D

Hi Max. Thanks

What a luxurious room you have there. I know I should be commenting on the equipment and the set up, but I love the Piano you have there. I can't play piano and I have no interest in ever playing one, but I do love the look of them in a room.

Guess what....I can't play either. Its just a big ornament I tinkle on from time to time.....if you know what I mean !:D

PS: Checked out your set-up too. Fantastic!

Hi TM

It appears everyones commenting only on the piano! ;)

all white room that:smashin: how cool is that piano.i always wanted a grand and yours is white.its always been on a wish list of mine,tho i know i will never get one.big thumbs up:thumbsup:

The Piano is a story in itself. In this room, we wanted to create the ultimate "Sound & Light" experience, blending music and AV together. Its actually an antique 1876 German baby grand piano....which we bought very cheaply as an ornament..... and painted it cream!!!:eek: It was originally black but was heavily marked. So following wifes instructions.....it had to change colour. It took me 2 months of painting / sanding / painting / sanding etc. Looks quite cool though. Pity I don't play.

Also, if you look closely in the second picture (Back Left) you'll see a cream cabinet in the corner with gold handles. Thats actually a 1910 gramophone player, (also painted cream !!!:rolleyes:) which is fully working with my own collection of old 33's. You control the volume by opening and closing the doors! I think I'll add it to my equipment list in my signature!:)

Very nice Rabfan8. You can see all the hard work that's gone into blending the AV side of things into the room as seamlessly as possible.:thumbsup:

Sorry but I also have to comment on the piano lol. As a kid I grew up learning on a baby grand that my folks sold about 15 years ago. Hated to see it go. You must have more than a tinkle now and then surely??!!;)

Hi Rabfan8
Nice room, nice set-up and as no ones commented on it yet............love the piano! :D

You must have more than a tinkle now and then surely??!!;)

I suppose. I guess its the equivilent of the "three cord wonder". :D

Other than the Piano....I'm pretty happy with the set-up:smashin:

Hi Dunks.

Excellent setup Elton, is there any truth in the rumour that everyone has to wear white whilst in the room? Do the kids get ribena in there?

Not at all. Cream & Gold are permited. :D

Now get outside and pour some 'Pathclear' on that Patio!!

I see what you mean.....but actually ...what you are seeing is the dying remnants of delicate alpines and rockery plants that grow between the slabs. ;)

Calibration is now coming along a treat. Using DVE has made a big difference. I'll post some pics of the sytem in operation soon. Piano might need tuning though!;)

Other than the Piano....I'm pretty happy with the set-up:smashin:[/QUOTE]

whats wrong with the piano? i would take it of your hands,you deliver tho:D

Why is that a digital camera pic never does the real image justice? Looks sooooo much better on screen!

Attachments

• Spidy.jpg
    Spidy.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Monster Inc 1.jpg
    Monster Inc 1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 133
Stunning Room :thumbsup:

But where's the Bose bass module :confused:

thats what most people say when they hear the bass module too :devil::rotfl:

nice room by the way! like the pretty much hidden speakers

Quoted by jeepjunkie: But where's the Bose bass module

Its hiding behind the couch! - See pic

Quoted by Daddy K: thats what most people say when they hear the bass module too

Absolutely right! Bought the BOSE some years back having fallen for the sales pitch. Bass from Bose...... non–existent. Hence added the PDR-10;)

Attachments

• Bose Bass Module.jpg
    Bose Bass Module.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 102
Cheers.

Having had all kinds of Bose kit over the years I was wondering how your setup hung together...

I also beefed up the Bose but with an M&K sub but have now sold the lot as her indoors demanded a sub that was smaller and could be hidden away within a unit :(

a monolith can be hidden in a unit!

the unit just has to be big!

a bet if you requested a monolith to be built in white, with some gold edging on it, you could easily put a lamp on toop of it and the mrs wouldnt question a thing!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom