**HELP** Important DVD recordings now unwatchable!!!

joenitro

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

About two years ago, I (kindly at the time I thought!!) agreed to transfer all of my girlfriends film and home movie collection (all on VHS) onto DVD for her, using my then newly purchased Sony RDR-GX300 (I think!)

Now, you'd think I would have checked that they all worked afterwards wouldn't you? Well that would have been far too easy for me!! So today, when she goes to try and play some old films of horse competitions (don't ask!) they won't play in my Panasonic DMR-EX75 OR my PC Lite-on drive!!!

All of the discs are Maxell DVD-R and after doing a search, I *think* I may have recorded the discs in "VR mode", rather than "Video mode"..... Does that make any sense at all, and is there a way to get the content back?

If it helps, when I do 'Dics Info' in Nero, it DOES show sessions on the discs and reports the discs as virtually full, but I can't play the disc using any program I've tried so far.

Any suggestions anyone? Even just to get at the data so I can convert it or something... Please!!!!!!!! She'll have my guts for garters otherwise!!!

Apologies for the long post, but I am a desperate man!!

Regards,

Joe

Disks need to be finalised on the same machine they were produced on [ or a similar model using the same engine ] to be playable elsewhere.

Did you do that when you produced them?

Gavtech,

I've got a feeling that I didn't do that, which as I said, I reckon is my problem.
Thank god that I gave the recorder to my parents, perhaps I can try some over there this weekend!!

Thanks for the extremely quick reply!

Something like this
http://www.smart-projects.net/cdrecovery.php
may help. I'm not making a specific recommendation here, because I've got no basis to judge.

They say, for example:
Transparent support for (open) DVD+VR(W) discs, remapping of the content etc. Open +VR discs' files can be seen and extracted right away.

Or, similarly
http://www.cdroller.com/
Recovers CD and DVD data created by standalone devices that record directly onto disks, including Sony Mavica digital cameras, Hitachi, Canon, Panasonic and Sony DVD camcorders, standalone DVD recorders, etc.

Thanks LV246, I'll give those a try tomorrow and see how they fare!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom