The Onkyo 905 owners thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Spaniard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Have one of these hopefully 'landing soon' so I thought I would start us all off!
Hope it lives up to the hype - I am expecting BIG things of it:thumbsup:

I have a very itchy 'BUY' finger, so will wait/fidget for some real world experience on this one.....

Cheers

Just keeping this little boy at the top where hopefully it will be for some time once the damn thing gets out on the market!:devil:

Spoke to my local dealer yesterday - Sound Academy - and it looks like we will get these babies late August/early September. :thumbsup:

That was what the Onkyo rep was telling them anyway........

I was told 25th of Aug....can't wait that long need it sooner

would it be possible to connect up a pc to the 905 dvi-hdmi instead of connecting straight to my lcd tv? i can't be bothered removing it off the wall and don't want anymore cables running from the tv. :thumbsup:

Just had a look through the 33 or so pages on the 905 on the AVS forum - about 3 actual posts on performance! God, those yanks talk some *****.

Starting to get a little worried though about the 905 and the various 'issues' including the heat generation - you can fry eggs on it, popping sounds, faulty remotes, poor bass output at set up, internet radio, hdmi connections, etc, etc..

I thought Onkyo quality control was supposedly excellent?

Need a new hobby - this one does my head in. The last thing I need is to spend another £1400 or so - the yanks spend around $1400 dollars by the way - and get a load more problems than I have at the moment.

That old Yammy A2 is definitely doing its best to stay put:D

Just had a look through the 33 or so pages on the 905 on the AVS forum - about 3 actual posts on performance! God, those yanks talk some *****.

Starting to get a little worried though about the 905 and the various 'issues' including the heat generation - you can fry eggs on it, popping sounds, faulty remotes, poor bass output at set up, internet radio, hdmi connections, etc, etc..

I thought Onkyo quality control was supposedly excellent?

Need a new hobby - this one does my head in. The last thing I need is to spend another £1400 or so - the yanks spend around $1400 dollars by the way - and get a load more problems than I have at the moment.

That old Yammy A2 is definitely doing its best to stay put:D

This does not sound good! there also seems to be a few problems in the UK with some of the other amps in the range. We need the Onkyo rep (Mark) to come on and put our minds at rest with some of these issues - he hasn't been on the forum for a while now.
By the way, your comment about our American cousins was a little uncalled for. :(

EDIT:you were warned previously,and obviously chose to ignore it,by creating a post most likely to annoy.

Isnt anyone concerned about the fact there is only 2 optical inputs? im aware hdmi carries audio and in the case of HD audio is only available over hdmi.

but doesnt sky hq require optical for proper surround? im sure i read it only carries 2.0 over hdmi (or similar)

that already limits most of us to 1 optical input

Isnt anyone concerned about the fact there is only 2 optical inputs? im aware hdmi carries audio and in the case of HD audio is only available over hdmi.

but doesnt sky hq require optical for proper surround? im sure i read it only carries 2.0 over hdmi (or similar)

that already limits most of us to 1 optical input

Worst case you can get something like http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/Optical-to-Coaxial-Converter.html .... Was the first entry on google so there are probably better/cheaper devices out there.

Richie.

I am more concerned with the reported excessive heat output- some have commented that you can't touch the external case for more than 5 seconds! Surely if that was the case then the product would not have/should not have passed H&S checks?

I know we wanted the amp to be "on fire!" but come on!:devil:

Worst case you can get something like http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/Optical-to-Coaxial-Converter.html .... Was the first entry on google so there are probably better/cheaper devices out there.

Richie.

i take it digital coaxial carries the same info as optical then? i wouldnt lose anything by using coax.

wouldnt like the idea of another box and another PSU tho

just thinking that for £1400 when i was moaning about £400 for a sony that you should get a bit more for your money!

im only really after this amp for its twin hdmi out anyway!

This does not sound good! there also seems to be a few problems in the UK with some of the other amps in the range. We need the Onkyo rep (Mark) to come on and put our minds at rest with some of these issues - he hasn't been on the forum for a while now.
:(

This issue with the heat generation with Onkyo amps has also got me worried, the 905 is/was a certain purchase as the heart of my av set-up.

Someone (Mark-Onkyo rep, please say something if you are still available on the Forum) needs to reassure potential buyers on the AV Forum that this issue will not be the Onkyo's achilles heal!

This issue with the heat generation with Onkyo amps has also got me worried, the 905 is/was a certain purchase as the heart of my av set-up.

Someone (Mark-Onkyo rep, please say something if you are still available on the Forum) needs to reassure potential buyers on the AV Forum that this issue will not be the Onkyo's achilles heal!

Afternoon

I have spoken to Mark about the heat aspect of the AV amps and he will hopefully be posting on the forum tonight. The Onkyo amps are designed to dissipate the heat generated due to the last amount of processing on the AV and audio. I understand this heat is well within EC regulations and is not a fault with the amps.

The thermal cut outs should not kick in as long as there is sufficient airflow over the top of the unit.

I will leave it to Mark to comment further on this.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

Afternoon

I have spoken to Mark about the heat aspect of the AV amps and he will hopefully be posting on the forum tonight. The Onkyo amps are designed to dissipate the heat generated due to the last amount of processing on the AV and audio. I understand this heat is well within EC regulations and is not a fault with the amps.

The thermal cut outs should not kick in as long as there is sufficient airflow over the top of the unit.

Regards

Thanks, that is reassuring.

Out of interest, do you know how much is 'sufficient' airflow, I'm assuming it is in the manual if anyone has seen it?

Cheers

Thanks, that is reassuring.

Out of interest, do you know how much is 'sufficient' airflow, I'm assuming it is in the manual if anyone has seen it?

Cheers

There is a recommended amount of space recommended above the top of the amp in the product manuals but Mark from Onkyo should be able to give you the minimum amount he feels should be acceptable.

I am fitting a 905 into my home system and this will be housed in an AV cabinet with slatted shelves and an open back. I may still need to add an external fan to help draw the heat away from the unit as all my other AV kit is in the same cabinet and there may not be enough airflow. I think I'll be turning my radiators down a couple more notches this winter:)

Regards

There is a recommended amount of space recommended above the top of the amp in the product manuals but Mark from Onkyo should be able to give you the minimum amount he feels should be acceptable.

I am fitting a 905 into my home system and this will be housed in an AV cabinet with slatted shelves and an open back. I may still need to add an external fan to help draw the heat away from the unit as all my other AV kit is in the same cabinet and there may not be enough airflow. I think I'll be turning my radiators down a couple more notches this winter:)

Regards

Hopefully mine should be OK, it will be in a Stands-Unique rack, so will have air flow on all sides and I can raise the shelf above a fair amount. I'll wait and see what Mark says.

Thanks again.

Afternoon

Regards

Thanks’ for the reply Alastair, I just thought this situation needed some clarification because of all the negative views cropping up in Forums, I understand something like a heat dissipation issue could be a problem with some people's av cabinets, airflow not a problem with me, completely open cabinet scenario, we all just need reassurance . :rolleyes: subbed to thread to view Mark's comments. ;)

Isnt this a pointless thread untill someone in UK has one ? I would of thought this thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603008) would of been more appropriate ? :confused:

Yep all this thread is doing at the mo is making me worry, needlessly I hope.

As long as it does what it says on the box and doesnt crash/etc then I could care less how hot it gets really. A kettle gets hot but you dont go standing there holding it. As long as there is adequate cooling, and people dont go letting their kids/toddlers clamber over their av rack, I dont think there is much to worry about :) Fire guard around the av rack anyone ;)

If there are any major heat problems I am sure Onkyo would be the first to hold them back until the issues were looked at.

Richie.

Yep all this thread is doing at the mo is making me worry, needlessly I hope.

As long as it does what it says on the box and doesnt crash/etc then I could care less how hot it gets really. A kettle gets hot but you dont go standing there holding it. As long as there is adequate cooling, and people dont go letting their kids/toddlers clamber over their av rack, I dont think there is much to worry about :) Fire guard around the av rack anyone ;)

If there are any major heat problems I am sure Onkyo would be the first to hold them back until the issues were looked at.

Richie.

I can't see overheating really being a problem in the UK can you??? lets face it both weeks of summer are over....

Seriously I think some of the reported overheating problems are down to people putting these things in racks with no air, what do they expect....

I hope we do see some units hitting the shores here in the next week, the anticipation is getting to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom