Scott_Mac's WIP System

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first pic as things are nearly there... rears still need mounting on the wall (am waiting on a light moving) so at the moment i have a 3.1 system :thumbsup:

EDIT: got sick of waiting for the light move so just went ahead and fitted the M&K's... am very impressed with them so far, they're in a less than ideal place as ideally i'd be a couple of feet further forward and they'd be a little wider apart and the left one further from the wall! As it stands though they're excellent now, Gladiator battle scene had me ducking, may try Saving Private Ryan next!

Gear is all listed in my sig...

front.jpg

full_rear.jpg

rear_left.jpg

rear_right.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set-up mate :thumbsup:

How do you like your Dynaudio speakers? I had a demo of them a few months back, really good sound :smashin:

A little bit of cable management might be nice. :p

I keep sorting the cables and then have to move something to plug something in elsewhere and it all falls out again - i'll sort it eventually!!!!

And kdog, as for the Dyn's i love them... upgraded from Audience 40's and the Focus' are stunning, perfect for my room too. I rave about them to anyone who'll listen (and those who won't) but i personally couldn't find a better speaker for the money.

And kdog, as for the Dyn's i love them... upgraded from Audience 40's and the Focus' are stunning, perfect for my room too. I rave about them to anyone who'll listen (and those who won't) but i personally couldn't find a better speaker for the money.
Lovely setup there mate! Was you thinking of upgrading the amp at all though? :eek:

:devil:

And yes them Dyns are fantastic little speakers!!

Some nice bits of kit there Scott_Mac..... :thumbsup:

Coming together nicely.... What is going to be 1st on an upgrade, or are you going to expand into HD at all ?? ........ (blinkin expensive hobby this ain't it....)

Deano

Cheers all, making the most of the space i have!

DD - Upgrading which amp? If you mean the little old Yamaha i don't see the point, it does everything i need apart from maybe Pro Logic II which would make TV viewing better.... don't see much point in getting a newer model as i don't need 6 channels, don't use the front channels from it, don't need HDMI switching etc... it only has to power a sub, rears and a centre and tbh the Yamaha has never struggled... oh and i can't afford an AV2 and V175 :grin

Dean - not sure on upgrade list... need a bigger TV, though don't think much larger than 42" will fit, so have the Plasma v LCD battle to contend with - AGAIN! May dabble in HD DVD at some point. Am auditioning higher range Naim amps and after that i think it starts to be a waste in the size room i have!!! But ideally Naim AV2, DVD5 etc etc

Cheers all, making the most of the space i have!

DD - Upgrading which amp? If you mean the little old Yamaha i don't see the point, it does everything i need apart from maybe Pro Logic II which would make TV viewing better.... don't see much point in getting a newer model as i don't need 6 channels, don't use the front channels from it, don't need HDMI switching etc... it only has to power a sub, rears and a centre and tbh the Yamaha has never struggled... oh and i can't afford an AV2 and V175 :grin

Dean - not sure on upgrade list... need a bigger TV, though don't think much larger than 42" will fit, so have the Plasma v LCD battle to contend with - AGAIN! May dabble in HD DVD at some point. Am auditioning higher range Naim amps and after that i think it starts to be a waste in the size room i have!!! But ideally Naim AV2, DVD5 etc etc

Sounds like a plan :)

Are we ever finally done.... we set our targets, yet as soon as they start falling into place they start moving again..... (go for a plasma :rolleyes: )

Woohoo, some decisiveness!

I play quite a lot of games on the Wii and Xbox 360 so that suggests a Plasma is a no no.... but i watch a lot of films so Plasma better.... then there's light shining on the panel so Plasma is a bad idea, then they're more expensive, take more setup etc

Ultimately i think i prefer a Plasma, particularly the Fujitsu XHA58EB models, but they're very expensive... so i'll probably end up with the Sharp or Samsung LCD, but need to decide on 40 or 46" (the latter may fit!) and then i just get confused and go and drink Gin.

Woohoo, some decisiveness!

I play quite a lot of games on the Wii and Xbox 360 so that suggests a Plasma is a no no....
plasma responsivness has improved greatly in the last couple of years has it not....
but i watch a lot of films so Plasma better.... then there's light shining on the panel so Plasma is a bad idea,
but a better compromise than lcd smudgy screens.... [/quote]
then they're more expensive,
you get what you pay for...
take more setup etc
but we love playing about with them, it's just no good taking it out of the box and plugging it in, you have to have the joy of looking at the manual, throwing it on the floor after 3 pages, then spending ages messing about with the settings, you should pay more for the thril of the challenge .... :D
Ultimately i think i prefer a Plasma, particularly the Fujitsu XHA58EB models, but they're very expensive...
but it would be worth it (can't say iv'e seen one though....:rolleyes: )
so i'll probably end up with the Sharp or Samsung LCD,
you may well regret it .....
but need to decide on 40 or 46" (the latter may fit!)
work out the biggest you can go - you say 46", then buy the next size up, you need the 50"......
and then i just get confused and go and drink Gin.
I like this bit best........... I'll have a Vodka .... Cheers

I have 42 Below and Belvedere, both in the freezer - naturally. Do you have a preference?

As for the other comments, i'll consider them when i can afford either option, though the one about size is probably the most relevant... i guess i could wall mount the 50" :D If you haven't seen the Fujitsu set, i recommend you don't, or you'll want one too...

EDIT: Balls, just seen my local hifi shop that i use has an ex dem 50" Fujitsu for <&#163;2200....

Nice one Scott. How's the little thumper in the corner sounding?:D

BTW, don't bother with Plasmas or LCDs. Home cinema starts at 6ft pictures. Anything less is just playing at it.;)

Russell

BTW, don't bother with Plasmas or LCDs. Home cinema starts at 6ft pictures. Anything less is just playing at it.;)

Russell

Very good point russ.will :smashin:

but it is nice to have a good screen for every day viewing, but if Scott is comfortable/happy with his screen then PJ is deffinetly the way to go...........

Russell

Thumper - i like it's name :D

It's doing very well, set it all up properly in the end, decent cable (sorry ;)) made a good difference to it's control and am now tweaking it slightly based on neighbours comments and extended use :rotfl: I certainly don't think i needed anything larger for my room, though i'm sure i'll still eventually get the SVS as they do in rosewood and it'll match the Dyn's well.... i'm hopefully borrowing a SUB 250 soon as my usual dealer is starting to stock them and it'll be interesting to compare.

As for Home Cinema starting at 6ft, err... i had the same though regarding PJ's last night, but maybe i'll save that for when i have a house and a more suitable room, i'll always want something of a reasonable size to watch TV on so it won't be a wasted purchase....

Nice to see your set up at last Scott......think I've spotted the same curtains (above thumper) that we have in our lounge - the room with the Naim......how sad am I.........

Cheers,
Ali

Really nice set up you've got there, mate. Great to see a Nait 3R still in action. I had one a few years back and it's a cracking amp. Ran it with a pair of Dynaudio 40s.

Only got rid of it as I jumped to a 202/NAPSC/180/Flatcap with some Proac Response 1SCs. Wish I'd kept it now for the money I got for it.

Just to stick my oar in, I'd stick with a plasma in a room that size.

Cracking set up! :clap:

arf005 said:
Nice to see your set up at last Scott......think I've spotted the same curtains (above thumper) that we have in our lounge - the room with the Naim......how sad am I.........

Cheers,
Ali

LOL - John Lewis' finest... very nice they are too and chosen without female input! Maybe we should start a thread on the Naim forum about how curtain choice can affect sound, that'd keep them entertained!

Henry said:
Really nice set up you've got there, mate. Great to see a Nait 3R still in action. I had one a few years back and it's a cracking amp. Ran it with a pair of Dynaudio 40s.

Only got rid of it as I jumped to a 202/NAPSC/180/Flatcap with some Proac Response 1SCs. Wish I'd kept it now for the money I got for it.

Just to stick my oar in, I'd stick with a plasma in a room that size.

Cracking set up!

Henry - i love my 3R, it still sounds beautiful to this day i've considered swapping for a 5 (was horrible!) then a 5i (sounded much more like the 3R but wasn't a huge step up) and am now waiting to see what happens with the SuperNAIT etc but as you rightly say the money they exchange hands for makes them a veritable used bargain! Mine used to run Audience 40's but i got a great offer on the Focus' and they're a league ahead...

As for the TV, went and played around last night and the Pioneer 4280X rather impressed me, certainly next to anything LCD related... but before i bought that i'd have to compare it to the Fujitsu - fortunately my local hifi shop stocks both, so i'm trying to avoid popping in at the mo :D

Thanks both for the comments though :smashin:

It might even be worth considering getting the 3R serviced if you've not had it done. I've heard some fantastic reports about kit coming back after service. Anyway, just a thought! :smashin:

It might even be worth considering getting the 3R serviced if you've not had it done. I've heard some fantastic reports about kit coming back after service. Anyway, just a thought! :smashin:

I will probably get that done, it hasn't been serviced in 7 years. I'm probably guilty of the fact that as it still sounds stunning why bother, though i'd probably be amazed when it came back :rolleyes:

New pics of the rears now added as i got fed up of waiting!!

Updated the first pic with the new TV, had a decision forced on me when the Sharp one packed up and i had to get a warranty replacement... the best i could find at Richers was the Samsung LE40N87BDX, and i have to say despite being a little skeptical it's stunning, especially when playing HD DVD (The EP35 is not in shot as it only went in the rack a few days ago!)

Still not much in the way of cable management, but have added a lot of clutter, some bathroom cabinets that really should go in the bathroom, on the wall, but hey.....

i don't see any pictures :(

i don't see any pictures :(

Apologies, i moved them and forgot to update the links!

Should now be sorted :)

Have also noticed that the pic is out of date as it doesn't show the HD DVD player, or the Apple Time Capsule!!

Hi Scott

I notice you've mounted your speakers up high and are the the speaker wires in the wall or disconnected for photographic purposes:)

Regards

John R

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom