Tiger Woods '08 - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Tiger Woods '08? (vote only after playing)

• Total voters

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Info had been pretty thin on the ground for the upcoming 08 Wii version of Tiger, due for release end of August.

Just been reading a Eurogamer preview though which at least gives some info on what to expect.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79173

Was a bit saddened by this quote:

Equally, the GamerNet online functionality is lacking, with EA pinning the blame for that on Nintendo's somewhat immature online service for the Wii.

Not quite sure if that's a definate "no online play" or just means it lacks the GamerNet features, whatever they are:confused:

Any news if TW08 will incorporate a true 1:1 swing movement?

That's strange considering FIFA and Madden are supposed to be online.

I think from what I've read about TW08 it seems to me that they had quite a bit of work to do improving over the 07 iteration. And probably didn't have time to add in the online functionality aswell.

Madden 07 was supposed to be pretty good, so they probably didn't have as much work on the single player aspect to improve. Giving them more time on the online side of things.

And with Fifa they had quite a while to work on as they didn't release an 07 version on the Wii.

Besides I'm not too sure if golf games lend themselves to online that well to be honest. From what I remember of playing albatross 18 on the PC, 18 hole games can take quite a long time.

Depends on what type of game you're in the mood for playing I guess. I don't mind the odd slow sunday game TBH.

Thing is my Wii Sports Golfing buddy's moving back to Switzerland next week, was hoping to continue the golf sessions online, looks like I'll have to wait for the 09 version:(

Depends on what type of game you're in the mood for playing I guess. I don't mind the odd slow sunday game TBH.

Thing is my Wii Sports Golfing buddy's moving back to Switzerland next week, was hoping to continue the golf sessions online, looks like I'll have to wait for the 09 version:(

Yeah I suppose it does, I think albatross 18 can be quite slow even for a golf game(it's the PC version of Pangya). The good thing about it was the tournament modes, that allowed 30 players to all play simultaneously. The only problem that had was that you didn't get as much experience as you did when playing normally.

I'd recommend trying it out if you fancy some online golfing, and it's free so there's no harm in giving it a go. It might fill your online golfing needs until something comes out on the Wii.

Let me know if you do give it a go and I'll give ya game.

Persuade him to buy a 360. ;)

Persuade him to buy a 360. ;)

Believe me I tried:) Thing is he isn't into video games and wasn't in the least bit interested in the 360, took to Wii Sports so much though that he's going to buy a Wii from the US on their way back home.

Just annoys me they release a replacement TW only 5 months after the 07 game. Why didn't they just wait rather than wasting everyone's money?

I won't be buying it

Wifi? Do you mean it doesn't have online play?

Exactly, any online Wii games carry the little blue WiFi logo on the front of the box. Here's an example found on Mario Strikers:

624f_8.jpg

Tiger Woods 2008 box art:

tiger-woods-pga-tour-08-20070731025.jpg

As mentioned earlier it already sounded as though this game would lack online play but now the box art has been revealed it pretty much 100% confirms this:(

I find it strange an online mode wasn't included, surely the most simple sport game to implement it into & yet the upcoming soccer games from EA are online playable:confused: Surely they would have been better giving the game more time in development instead of rushing it out so soon after TW '07, ah well...EA

Is it something that could be added later as a downloadable update or would they rather hold out for TW 09?

Is it something that could be added later as a downloadable update or would they rather hold out for TW 09?

Think that would be a no followed by a yes. Typical EA IMO, always holding something back to give the next version a selling point.

I really don't buy this rather poor excuse when they have online play featured in the upcoming Wii version of Fifa 08, surely more of a challenge with regard to lag etc.
Equally, the GamerNet online functionality is lacking, with EA pinning the blame for that on Nintendo's somewhat immature online service for the Wii.

anyone got this yet ?

I see play.com have it in stock @ £29.99 but the one review they have gives it 1 star and says the control system stinks...

anyone got this yet ?

I see play.com have it in stock @ £29.99 but the one review they have gives it 1 star and says the control system stinks...

If you've got TW 07 then I wouldn't even consider 08. Read the IGN review yesterday & it sounds almost the same game with just a few refinements to the controls. Graphics and just about everything else unchanged from 07:thumbsdow

http://wii.ign.com/articles/816/816464p1.html

Last year's Woods Wii effort wasn't necessarily a bad game, it was just an amateur effort that missed the boat in a few key areas. On the flipside, this year's Woods Wii title isn't necessarily a bad game, it's just an amateur effort that misses the boat in a few key areas. We poke fun at the five-month development cycle, but to be honest, Tiger Woods 08 took the extra time to implement a new interface, add a few modes, work in the token 08 improvements from other console versions, and fine tune the swing mechanic slightly -- and that's about it. No global changes, no graphical improvements, no online, and no Mii integration. Tiger Woods 08 might as well be Tiger Woods 07.1 because it's nearly the same game with a few basic changes, and fits the score perfectly.

If it gets decent reviews, I will get it. Don't care so much for online play as I do not know anyone with a Wii (!) and tbh not keen on playing some 10 year old American. I will of course adjust for the game being marked down in reviews for lack of online :)

anyone got this yet ?

Bought it yesterday. Swing controls seem OK, although because you use the B button to activate your swing I find there's a tendency to press the Home or - buttons and pause the thing. Also getting out of some of the supplementary menus (Confidence, etc.) seems rather hit and miss. The manual tells you bog-all about all the sub-menus for setting up your swing and so on.:thumbsdow

I played 18 holes last night and wound up about 6 over par :rolleyes: but I had about that many shots where the ball stopped about 1cm from the hole.

You don't mention which region you have, but I'm guessing it's PAL.
I seem to remember the '07 PAL version didn't support 480p either...

Yes I have the PAL version.

When the Wii menu comes up it's output shows 480p then it switches to 5**i when the game starts

Had a long play on this on sunday, i thought i was quite good. The swing is so much better than '07 and i got the hang of it quite easily. Its certainly not perfect but it will tie me over until Wii Love Golf arrives.

I voted 8 !

Background - My Experience of TW07

I bought TW07 and read really looked forward to it. The day before it arrive i broke a toe and couldnt stand up to play it for 3 weeks, so the anticipation built up even more. Then i played it and found it didnt respond all the time to my swing. About 1 out of 4 swings wouldn't repsond then whilst im looking at the screen wondering about it, it swung on its own.

Putting was worse it would only work 1 in 2 times. So i perservered with 1 whole round. I enjoyed it when it worked but overal found it frustrating. Before i knew it, the wii went into the summer break. I had intended to try again this autumn, but wasn't very hopeful. It may be because i was in the wrong spot as i hadnt moved the coffee table totally away to enable me to be further away, but i was about 1m from the sensor.

TW08

Some very kind friend bought it for me as a gift and i tried it last night. I am pleased to report that the swing action actually worked and every time :)

So i was able to get into it without frustration (although i couldnt get the hang of one of the tutorials and it wouldnt let me progres until i could). I like the gameplay a lot. I particularly liked the ball spin move (don't recall that from 07) and the opponent putting me off thing was quite funny. I just did 9 holes, had a couple of pars and one birdie and plenty of double bogeys. The graphics are still restricted by the wii, but was pleasant enough and the helicopter flying over sounded quite cool (i have it on Dolby PLII).

I think that this game will mean that the wii comes out of its sumer break much earlier. :thumbsup:

Anybody care to give me your thoughts on this game?
I've not really play many golf games before but love the way the golf game in Wii Sports plays.
Does Tiger Woods 2008 play in a similar way or even improve on this?
Is it a game that I can pick up every now and again or is it something which is going to need hours and hours to get anything from it?

Thanks for any opinions, good or bad.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom