Who has had a replacement PS3 unit from Sony Careline??? Post your experiences...

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
Well - I'm starting this thread as I found Sony Careline to be incompetent and I suspect they are sending used units out to people claiming they are brand new...

My PS3 which I bought from Virgin at launch has a really loud faulty Blu-Ray drive... As it's been over 28 days, Virgin refused to do an exchange saying that Sony have instructed all retailers that customers have to use the Sony careline after 28 days... (hmmm)... Well - I did that and it has taken a week for Sony to send me a replacement unit (instead of the quoted 24 hour turn around) and when it finally arrived it was covered in scratches and didn't look new at all...

I was originally given a date for the delivery/exchange (which was 4 days from the date of ringing), and was told I would need to be there from 8.30AM til 5.30PM. I was also told several times that it would be a 'brand new' replacement unit in a sealed box. Anyway, when the day arrived, I waited all day (alot of hassle) and nothing came... :rolleyes: rang them and was told they had made a mistake and the item had NOT even been dispatched(??!)... :eek: Are they having a laugh??? They then had to book it through again (which was another 2 days waiting).

Finally received the replacement unit today - it arrived in a dirty old plastic box with some sponge around it (there wasn't even any plastic wrapping around the unit!!) - it was covered in thick dust and heavy scratches and looked worse than a second hand used machine. Even the courier said it definitely looked used to him - he then started wiping the dust off the unit infront of me with his dirty jumper!!!:suicide: :)eek: LOL - I almost died when I saw him doing this infront of me... The only thing I would ever use to clean my PS3 is the (damp) microfibre cloth that came with my LCD TV... Did he actually think he was helping me out by doing that???? I refused it and sent it back.

Given that I've had my PS3 since launch, have cleaned it/handled it many times and it still looks brand new (Not one single scratch/mark), I can't even imagine what these 'brand new' replacement units have been through...

Spoke to Sony again and they are sending another replacement to me and were adamant on the phone that they only send out brand new replacements to people (NOT used/refurbished units) - they also claimed it would be illegal for them to send refurbished units out to customers. I think this is BS, as I can't understand how those scratches could be on the machine otherwise... Also, I suspect that this is happening alot, as the lady on the phone didn't sound surprised at all... I remember reading about other people on this forum whose PS3 replacements had marks near the USB sockets, as if they had been used too...

I certainly didn't pay full price at launch to get a second hand scratched machine - If you have had any problems with your replacements please can you post here... It would be interesting to know how widespread this problem is...

They are lying to you m8.

Sony only ship refurbed units out for replacement (this is the same thing they have done for every console since the PS1)

My advice is to take it back to the retailer for a new unit if the machine is faulty

Sony only ship refurbed units out for replacement (this is the same thing they have done for every console since the PS1)

My advice is to take it back to the retailer for a new unit if the machine is faulty

:eek: :eek: :eek:

How can they lie like that? Can anyone else confirm this to be the case? I already have another unit on its way to me...

They told me that they don't have any refurbished units of the PS3 as the machine is so new and that the new replacement units come straight from the factory. They did mention that the serial number would be the same as my original machine, but with a few extra digits showing that it's been replaced(???) - That kinda sounded weird to me...

Can you substantiate that?

I have had 4 units now (3 replacements) and all of them looked brand new.

They all arrived in a pink crate with sponge inside and no wrapping on the PS3 itself. No fingerprints on any of them, nor scratches.

I would think that the unit has not been out long enough for people to get refurbs, surely?

your contract was with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer..take it back to virgin its their problem

your contract was with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer..take it back to virgin its their problem

Well that's what I thought was the case - however Virgin weren't having any of it - the manager said the PS3 console only comes with a 28 day retailer warranty period and a 1 year manufacturers warranty. He said after 28 days, all problems are handled by Sony. Believe me, at the time, I did argue with them as I know about the consumer sales of goods act and my rights etc. but what can you do when you face a brick wall??? Sure, you can take someone to court over something, but how much hassle is that??? Realistically most will have to take the careline option...

Anyway - I will see, if the console that arrives tomorrow looks brand new then I will accept it, otherwise, I will go back to Virgin and complain again.

They all arrived in a pink crate with sponge inside and no wrapping on the PS3 itself. No fingerprints on any of them, nor scratches.

I would think that the unit has not been out long enough for people to get refurbs, surely?

What are you doing to them ? :confused:

Yoda..

As you say, Virgin have a responsibility to you, whatever they say.

Here's a link for the online small claims, go through the registration process, download a form and go back with it to ask the manager for his details to fill it in, see if that has any affect, if not do the same in writing to head office and see where that gets you.

;)

Yep I have had it confirmed by customers and Sony reps themselves that they send out Refurbs and I have seen it for myself loads of times.

I have seen so many customers with Sony replaced products that were so far from New it was nasty.

I don't think giving refurbs is anything new and most electrical manufacturers do this after the original 28 days have expired (it allows them to get rid of faulty stock that could not be passed back into the retail channels once it has been repaired).

I don't think the issue is the refurb I think it is more to do with the fact that the OP was promised a new machine

Most products will have a 28 day DOA period, meaning that if it fails within that period you are entitled to a brand new replacement. It should be swapped out by the retailer within that period.

After 28 days you should use the manufacturers warranty service, and you are only entitled to a refurbished replacement unit. This replacement unit should be in similar cosmetic condition to the unit which you returned.

However it sounds like they sword blind to you that it should be a brand new replacement (even if the customer services agent is poorly trained/advised), can't say anything other than good luck with the replacement & keep on their backs :).

Sales of goods act, here

More info here

Get a refund from Virgin and buy a new one!!

Customers who are also consumers, and not other traders, have additional rights. These rights last for up to six years after sale.

Consumers are entitled to ask for either a repair or a replacement in addition to their right to a refund. For more information, see the page in this guide: what do I have to do if a customer complains?

from here..

My two cents . . .

I replaced my loud PS3 three days after purchase from Comet and Sony Care shipped me a 'new' unit that was a bit quieter. I confirmed I would not accept a refurb and Sony told me that they do replace with 'tested refurbs' but at present they only have new PS3's to ship out direct from the factory.

Sony Care did push me to go back to the retailer as they are required to replace your unit (according to Sony, this is) with a new unit or refund within 28 days. After that, I was told the retailer can repair or replace as they wish. I told Sony I wasn't prepared to deal with the hassle of going back to the shop (plus having to deal with Comet!!) as it would be a morning of my time wasted and much aggro - they agreed to replace within 24hrs. A new unit arrived in a pink courier box the next day - as far as I can tell it was brand new. I just had to give back the PS3, I kept all the cables etc. This seems to be the same experience with other owners who have received swap-outs from Sony Care.

Good luck.

What are you doing to them ? :confused:

LOL - Do you think it's the same PS3s just going round and round??? That would probably explain half the scratches at least... :D I'm sure the PS3s that people reject just get passed to some other mug...

Yep I have had it confirmed by customers and Sony reps themselves that they send out Refurbs and I have seen it for myself loads of times.

I have seen so many customers with Sony replaced products that were so far from New it was nasty.

I don't think giving refurbs is anything new and most electrical manufacturers do this after the original 28 days have expired (it allows them to get rid of faulty stock that could not be passed back into the retail channels once it has been repaired).

I don't think the issue is the refurb I think it is more to do with the fact that the OP was promised a new machine

To be honest, even if they were lying and giving people refurbished PS3s, how hard can it be to replace the outside covers on them...??? The way it looked when it turned up was shocking to say the least...

To be honest, even if they were lying and giving people refurbished PS3s, how hard can it be to replace the outside covers on them...??? The way it looked when it turned up was shocking to say the least...

You sure it wasn't the delivery guy in that he didn't have it secure enough in the box in the van it may have fell out and he only just put it back in the box when he arrived, i know of delivery drivers who have done all sorts in this way you'll be surprised.

You sure it wasn't the delivery guy in that he didn't have it secure enough in the box in the van it may have fell out and he only just put it back in the box when he arrived, i know of delivery drivers who have done all sorts in this way you'll be surprised.

The containers Sony use have yellow plastic tags on them which have to be broken before you can open the box. They were broken infront of me.

Well - I received my 2nd PS3 replacement from Sony this morning... (this time without major scratches - there were a couple of small ones on the bottom (when standing vertically), but I really can't be arsed anymore doing another exchange)... The unit looked new enough to me.

The verdict??? It's no better than the one I sent back to them... The fans aren't too noisy, just like my last one (although during Blu-Ray movies it seems louder this time), the hard drive access noise is louder on this one - my last one was completely silent, the blu-ray drive access noise sounds as loud as the one I sent back and is definitely much louder than a standard PS2 (I have my PS2 and PS3 running side by side) - Infact, I wish I'd just kept my original one.

If 2 PS3s with different serial numbers can arrive with a similar sounding drive, then I will assume this is normal and if you have quiet drives you are either lying, exaggerating or very lucky - I don't have enough time to keep doing exchanges... so I guess I will just live with it. I also rang the Sony careline and they told me that as I've had 1 exchange now they would NOT send a new unit replacment out to me if I felt this one was faulty too - it would have to be sent off for inspection, the fault confirmed and if found faulty I would then be sent someone else's faulty unit which has undergone repairs - their words, not mine. They only send 'new' replacement units out once apparently (and even those don't look too new!). Hmmmm - Wondering how some of you have had 9 PS3s sent out to you...

To make matters worse, I backed up my old PS3 to an SD card - however, this new PS3 is saying there is NO BACKUP OR SAVE GAME DATA on the card(!!!!!) - AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!! (Sony has finally pushed me over the edge...)

I'm hoping the machine will blow up in the last month of warranty, by which time, Sony will have hopefully sorted these problems out...

I'm sorry to see your having such problems, i can honestly say hand on heart that my PS3 drives are silent i hardly hear them at all, i must admit i do hear a bit from the BR drive when playing fight night 3 the drive does for some reason rev faster when playing that, must be crappy programming on EA's part.. other than that nothing, movies and games almost silent, same goes for the HDD drive i never hear that even if there is silence in the room. i don't know what to say. maybe i'm a lucky one i dunno.

I'm sorry to see your having such problems, i can honestly say hand on heart that my PS3 drives are silent i hardly hear them at all, i must admit i do hear a bit from the BR drive when playing fight night 3 the drive does for some reason rev faster when playing that, must be crappy programming on EA's part.. other than that nothing, movies and games almost silent, same goes for the HDD drive i never hear that even if there is silence in the room. i don't know what to say. maybe i'm a lucky one i dunno.

Snap. I have RFOM / Motor storm / NBA 2k7 and Fightnight. Fightnight is the only one that makes any noise.

Well - I'm starting this thread as I found Sony Careline to be incompetent and I suspect they are sending used units out to people claiming they are brand new...

My PS3 which I bought from Virgin at launch has a really loud faulty Blu-Ray drive... As it's been over 28 days, Virgin refused to do an exchange saying that Sony have instructed all retailers that customers have to use the Sony careline after 28 days... (hmmm)... Well - I did that and it has taken a week for Sony to send me a replacement unit (instead of the quoted 24 hour turn around) and when it finally arrived it was covered in scratches and didn't look new at all...

I was originally given a date for the delivery/exchange (which was 4 days from the date of ringing), and was told I would need to be there from 8.30AM til 5.30PM. I was also told several times that it would be a 'brand new' replacement unit in a sealed box. Anyway, when the day arrived, I waited all day (alot of hassle) and nothing came... :rolleyes: rang them and was told they had made a mistake and the item had NOT even been dispatched(??!)... :eek: Are they having a laugh??? They then had to book it through again (which was another 2 days waiting).

Finally received the replacement unit today - it arrived in a dirty old plastic box with some sponge around it (there wasn't even any plastic wrapping around the unit!!) - it was covered in thick dust and heavy scratches and looked worse than a second hand used machine. Even the courier said it definitely looked used to him - he then started wiping the dust off the unit infront of me with his dirty jumper!!!:suicide: :)eek: LOL - I almost died when I saw him doing this infront of me... The only thing I would ever use to clean my PS3 is the (damp) microfibre cloth that came with my LCD TV... Did he actually think he was helping me out by doing that???? I refused it and sent it back.

Given that I've had my PS3 since launch, have cleaned it/handled it many times and it still looks brand new (Not one single scratch/mark), I can't even imagine what these 'brand new' replacement units have been through...

Spoke to Sony again and they are sending another replacement to me and were adamant on the phone that they only send out brand new replacements to people (NOT used/refurbished units) - they also claimed it would be illegal for them to send refurbished units out to customers. I think this is BS, as I can't understand how those scratches could be on the machine otherwise... Also, I suspect that this is happening alot, as the lady on the phone didn't sound surprised at all... I remember reading about other people on this forum whose PS3 replacements had marks near the USB sockets, as if they had been used too...

I certainly didn't pay full price at launch to get a second hand scratched machine - If you have had any problems with your replacements please can you post here... It would be interesting to know how widespread this problem is...

Virgin have to take it back it's a myth that your consumer rights end after a 28 day period. Ask to speak to the in store Manager and use the phrase "reasonable period of time". 45 days is not deemed as a reasonable amount of time for a £425 consumer item.

I have had to exchange my 32" LCD screen which I have had since July last year. The HDMI connection seems to go every now and then and as the PS3 is the first time I have used the HDMI, I put it to them that it's highly likely that the TV has been faulty since I purchased it. I have cover on the TV (guarantee + 2 years panel protection). But they wanted to take the TV away for fixing..... leaving me without it for 2 weeks. I was like "no way, you'll replace it, you sold it to me and the deal was someone would repair it in my home or replace it with a newer model if it was faulty". Mentioned the 'reasonable life expectancy for a £900 consumer item being longer than 9 months'. All of a sudden he agreed and is replacing it with a the brand new model and chucking in 5 months panel protection as a gesture of good will.

The point is retailers play down their responsibility when it comes to a manufacturer fault. It's 100% down to laziness, so be firm and persistent and you will usually get what you want in the end!

HI EVREY ONE SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE PROBLEMS U HAVE HAD OK I HAVE HAD 6 replacement PS3 SENCE MAY and i got my 6th PS3 yesterday and what do u no its already broken what a supriz I HAVE HAD ENUTH OF SONY I WILL BE TAKING SONY TO COURT BECAUS THIS CANT GO ON THE WAY ITS GOING AND IM FED UP WITH THEM RIPING US ALL OFF PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENT ABOUT WHAT IM ABOUT TO DO IT MIGHT BE USFULL IN COURT . THANK U FOR YOUR TIME LETS HOPE I CAN HELP :smashin:

Dont just randomly start shouting in court is my advice :smashin:

caps-lock.jpg

your posts are very hard to read netiquette says all caps is shouting also your sentences lack structure. if your taking this to an english court it would make sense to calm down and think about what you mean and want to put across to the court.

IM TAKING SONY TO COURT I HAVE HAD 6 replacement PS3 SINCE MAY AND GOT MY 6th PS3 yesterday and what a surprise ITS BROKE I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF SONY.

THIS CANT GO ON, FOR WE THE GAMERS WONT PUT UP WITH IT WhY SHOULD WE .WE PAY GOOD MONEY FOR A BAD PRODUCT THEN WHEN IT MESSES UP WE GET A BROKE REPLACEMENT, THIS IS A SCAM AND THEY ARE DOING US OUT OF our MONEY.

i cant be r sed to re-type without caps:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom