What software do I need?

CyBeRkId2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Basically I have never done any video editing before but as part of my job have been asked to put a video file onto a dvd, along with a photo slideshow. It should also have a nice menu if possible. I have managed to get the video onto dvd. So now comes the software selection. My key requirements are:

Simplish to use - doesnt have to be too basic as long as it is fairly intuitive
Take video in vob format and be able to chop and edit this. Funky scene transitions (such as Fade in and out etc.) would be a nice addition.
Be able to build a simple slideshow from jpg files, preferably with music in the background.
Be able to create a simple menu.

Preferably the software will be sub £200.00.

Cheers,
Michael :thumbsup:

Sonys Vegas Movie Studio +DVD (Platinum) is a suggestion that can do this

Any of the mainstream budget ( Adobe Premiere Elements3 which has a package with Adobe Photshop Elements 5) and Ulead Video Studio 10+ are both capable but the " how you get on with them" factor probably matters the most as they are all sub £100

VOB :mpeg editing is much better SVMS ver 7 and any PQ loss related to the absence of "smart rendering" is IMO minimal

Dedicated Mpeg "Editors" are able to edit mpegs with minimal Q loss but many lack the features of "full" NLE software. I Ulead video Studio 9/10 are Full NLE with "smart rendering" which allows mpeg editing with minimal PQ loss but Its usability is something you either love or cant stand..

I generally use Proshow Gold for slideshows then output as an Mpeg which I then use in a DVD either Standalone slide show or incorporate into the main video

All the Software suggested have trial downloads to help you try before you buy

For pure simplicity of use you probably wont go far wrong with Ulead DVD MovieFactory. It will be able to do all you require (scene transitions, create slide show, take video direct from DVD disc, add backing music, create menu etc) and is well under your £200 budget at around £30. It doesn't do as advanced editing as the editing programs suggested by senu, but it is simple to learn & use without being too basic. Any editing program will have more features but have a steaper learning curve. It can be downloaded for a free 30 day trial from Here.

Mark.

Im in agreement with Movie Factory suggestion .
In fact the no of times ,I have suggested it here, you'd be forgiven for thinking I work for Ulead:D

I deliberately ommited it this time because I don't really use it for any editing though I use it for DVD authoring fairly regularly,

It is certainly able to do jpeg slide shows but Im unfamiliar with the ease with which it would edit.... I would certainly try it: it is quite good too for rearthoring DVDs made prior ( I do the from DVDs recorded on settop which are basic and could do with a menu ect)

You could try basic pakages such as:

• Nero 7 Ultra - Comes with Nero vision - you have to do stuff in linear steps - very very basic even though it's on version 4 - you can't even change font sizes.

• Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 - Better than nero as it is menu based and has more features but still not complicated.

Roxio would be better, comes with Mydvd & Videowave.

Adobe premiere elements is well worth alook and as far as slide shows its very good at that fullpanning and zoom on your stills intermixed with video .

Jaymac,
Are you on to ver 3 or do you just use ver 2 alongside whatever else you've got?

Ver 2 Senu I was quite surprised how well it does stills particularly the pan and zoom . I tried proshow gold a while back and I thing adobes control over the stills is better

You could try basic pakages such as:
  • Nero 7 Ultra - Comes with Nero vision - you have to do stuff in linear steps - very very basic even though it's on version 4 - you can't even change font sizes.
  • Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 - Better than nero as it is menu based and has more features but still not complicated.

Roxio would be better, comes with Mydvd & Videowave.

With due respect: how good are these at editing material from DVDs .
I used Adaptec ( now Roxio) for slideshows in the past but feel that prowess has been overtaken .
I have them and simple use Nero for DVD ( and CD burning) and Roxio for its exemplary audio CD making support.

Ver 2 Senu I was quite surprised how well it does stills particularly the pan and zoom . I tried proshow gold a while back and I thing adobes control over the stills is better

I like the simplicity of Proshow gold: it is very Ok with stills. I found the motion effects especially Pan, Zoom and rotation very easy to do. Im less impressed with its ability to match the slideshow to music... Vegas( and movie studio )top it there. ...and the ability to do mulitlayer ( PIP) effects
I have done "complicated" slide shows with keyframing effects in Liquid but it is OTT for that even if the results can be eye candy

PM me if you want to try APE ver 3 FWIW

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom